.45 FMJ for Home Defense

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 6shootersandw, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

Do you really need Hollow Points for Home Defense? I shoot a .45 XDM and I shoot FMJ's at the range. Is it necessary with this Caliber?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Over penetration can be a problem with fmj.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

If your using 230 grain fmj its right at the fbi recommended 12-14" of penetration. 45acp is a very good defensive round whether its in fmj or hollowpoint in 230grain weight.

I use 230grain hollowpoints. Maybe a hp will expand maybe not but its going to be a minimum of a .45 channel through the goblin.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

Where do you live...I mean, an apartment, house, duplex, mobile home?

Are there others in close proximity, behind walls in nearby rooms, nearby dwellings, busy neighborhood?

This should be a big consideration for you as traditionally, a FMJ projectile has a tendency for overpenetration...IE...exiting an assailant or missing altogether and still being dangerous to those who are unknowingly in the path.

The JHP's upon expansion cause a larger wound channel, (bigger hole, more loss of blood, quicker drop in BP, quicker end to threat) and IMHO are not as apt to over penetrate.

Ask yourself these questions and use your best judgement...:cool:

5. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

I have my own House.

6. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

I only shoot 230 grain. FMJ's worked before Hollow points even came out and I am sure a lot of law enforcement officers use them to.

7. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

I understand now why I should use Hollow points at home now. What hollow points do you guys recommend?

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Just about any good name brand will work grate. Some of the more popular ones are. Speer gold dots. Winchester pdx1, critical defense, hydrashoc, golden saber just to name a few

9. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

#

Under penetration can be a problem with expanding ammo. Also you are more likely to hit someone with the rounds you miss with than over penetration. FMJ has being doing the job for around 100 years.

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Don't ever here of a .45 under penetrating. And regardless to what people say over penetration is a bad thing unless you are hunting and trying to get 2 for 1.

11. manta

A criticism you often here of 9mm FMJ is over penetration. A 9mm expanding round stopped a inch from heart of one guy in the Miami shoot out. A FMJ round would of being more likely to reach his heart. Does .45 penetrate more than 9mm. ?

12. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

I just went out to my local guns shop and bought some hollow points. They only had one box of Federal .45 185 grains. I want 230 grain but that's all they had. They don't stock much of it because people think it's illegal in NJ.

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Lol. Well more weight equals more momentom so like he said what do you think.

14. manta

I thought the extra velocity of 9mm would have a factor when it comes to penetration. But it seems by your reply its just weight. I suppose i can't be right all the time. :rolleyes: So .45 is more likely to over penetrate than 9mm because of the extra weight of the .45 round. I will remember that the next time people criticise the 9mm for over penetrating.
    Strange the 9mm has penetrated deeper in the chart bellow. Even with the extra momentum of the heaver .45 round.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Either HP's or FMJ's in a 230 grain .45 ACP round will do the job and should stay in the goblin.

Though I dont plan on misses or "poor hits", I do personally choose HP's, "just in case".

I like the 230 grain Federal Hydra Shocks myself BUT that's mainly because they hit to point of aim and group better that "any other" HP loads in my particular gun.

There are many newer designs on the market and I'm personally interested in the new Power R Ball rounds...I think there Hornady?

The logic is that the nylon ball that caps the HP aids feeding and prevents the cavity from filling with clothing fibers which can prevent expansion.

The crucial element is to test fire several and pick the one that's 100% reliable, hits POA/POI and gives you the tightest group.

Yes, 4 or 5 boxes of defensive ammo is spendy but worth the peace of mind.

Tack

16. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Look it up. A 230gr bullet retains more velocity than a 125. And.when you start adding bones to it heavier
    Bullets are better. And remember what happened after Miami. The FBI tested and went with a bigger bullet. Not a 9mm fmj I'm guessing there is a reason for that. :rolleyes:

17. manta

Yes the reason rather than blame the FBI-s poor tactics. Going to a rifle fight with handguns ect they blamed the 9mm.
    Of the question a bit. My point a hit from a FMJ .45 will be effective if put in the right place plus feeds better in some .45 pistols. That leaves over penetration their are no guarantees any bullet can over penetrate FMJ of other.

PS. For self defence here you are allowed FMJ only. And a largest caliber of 9mm.

18. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Yes it will be effective if in the right place. Butt so will a bb gun. A hp only really over pen if the cavity gets clogged causing it to act as a fmj. My advise if your gun doesn't eat what you feed it it's time to replace it. And that's normally some 1911 that don't like HP's. That's only bc its 100 year old technology. And any good quality 1911 will feed them just fine.

And that sucks you can only have 9mm fmj. But that's not helping your argument. I'm betting the only reason you can have up to 9mm fmj is bc it's not very devastating.

19. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Butt look at it like this why do police use HP over FMJ?