.45 Desert Eagle

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jeffcfrisco80443, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffcfrisco80443

jeffcfrisco80443 New Member

Hi: I am new to this site and somewhat new to firearms. I am wondering about a friend of mine's .45; he just bought it and now he wants to sell it. Does he know something I don't? Is it a good gun? How much is it worth? He said he paid $650 for it brand new. Also why do gun value books differ so much from book to book? I looked at 3 and they all seemed to vary in price quotes.

2. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

This belongs in the WTS forum.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hey Zero, off the grid for awhile?
    Everything OK?

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Let me be gentle and have a good friend explain the DE;
    "Desert Eagles are for two kinds of people. Guys with Little Man Syndrome and every kid who has ever played a video game but has never shot one. They are an awful, awful handgun. Huge. Non-Ergonomical. Slide Mounted Safety. Heavy. Impossible to conceal. Unreliable Gas System. Just a bad, bad idea....JD "​

I think that about raps it up. [​IMG]

5. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

You seem to be asking whether you should by the DE in a round about way. I can only tell you that based on my experience in owning an alloy frame .357 model , that you should NOT buy it.

Right out of the box the pistol never fed or ejected reliably. It went back to Magnum Research twice with no improvement. I would pass.

6. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

This has been hashed over before. The ***-hattery over the "Desert Eagle" is ridiculous. "The Desert Eagle" platform carries the .50 AE, 44 Mag., 400 Cor Bon, (rare 41 Mag) and .357 Mag. It is big, unweildey and heavy and not practical except for someone who wants to hunt with a semi auto.

The 9mm, 41 AE, .40 SW and 45 acp are renamed, previously the Jericho 941, which is based on the CZ 75. It is nothing more than a duty size pistol marketed by Magnum Research. There's nothing wrong with the Baby Eagle, which is the model designation given to this series of duty size pistols.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  7. WDB

WDB New Member

I have to add I own a 50 AE, it's not for carry, I'm not a little guy wanting something big. It's pretty simple I like the pistol, like my AMT long slide Auto Mag, not fan favorites but they are truly fun to shoot and something most will not get, but I enjoy shooting them. Before you judge I carry a S&W M&P 45 most of the time but like the odd pistols for fun. Even more shoot a DE 50 and a AMT Auto mag and tell me they are not fun to shoot.

8. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I have owned a Desert Eagle .50 AE also. Again, it fills a niche and it's a gun. Not much to do with my masculinity or compensation for something.

9. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

Yeah I'm good. I've been doing stuff and working out...and just staying off the net.

10. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

DE fan and owner here, I don't get haters. Seems the hater are haters of the caliber but not the gun. It's a massive round, loud, shock waves travel, other shooters at the range without plugs in their ears under their muffs will not like you. That's their problem. To each their own. I really dig it. Sent 100 rounds down range today, loved every pull of trigger. Accuracy, hands down the most accurate pistol I have out of 5. Recoil is amazing for such a big caliber, I could easily shoot 500 rounds in one outing, if I had $450 dollars to burn, without a sore hand, do that with your S&W or Ruger revolver.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

couple of points in JD's quote i strongly disagree with. they arent aweful just different. they are no more aweful than similar sized 500SW revolvers nor are they any more non-ergo than the 500SW guns.

the gas system is extremely reliable ive been shooting desert eagles before helliwood and the xbox made em popular and ive never seen them fail to function due to the gas system using correct ammo.

its actually a very ingenious design. not a bad idea just different. they are super reliable and incredibly accurate. hits with a 44 version with the stock iron sights can easily be achieved on 1 liter coke bottles at 200yards.

no desert eagle was ever offered in .45 caliber. so what your looking at cant be a desert eagle or your buddy doesnt know what his gun is chambered for.

yes, i used to ccw my 357mag version DE in a shoulder bag :) not impossible to conceal just difficult

12. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

No that doesn't wrap it up at all and is totally wrong. Usually the people saying someone owns a gun of any type is compensating for something are anti-gunners. You don't want to be included in that group, I'm sure. Your "good friend" needs to learn that some times people just plain want something. The Desert Eagle is not a very practical gun but is just plain fun as hell to shoot, it's reliable (I don't know where you get the idea it has an unreliable gas system) and accurate. It is not a gun you would even try to conceal but why would that make it in any way bad? I carry mine when I'm hunting in a tactical holster that I modified from a cross-chest holster. Your "good friend" needs to actually fire one and spend some time with one before spouting off inaccuracies.
    By the way, if it's a .45 it's a Baby Eagle not a Desert Eagle. Totally different gun.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I have a DE44.(ah, a 45 cal DE? REALLY?)

Short and to the point: IT ROCKS.

Loud, massive flame ball muzzle flash,exceptional accuracy-if I do my part.

And MUCH,MUCH, easier on the wrist than a .44 revolver.

I CC, in a pouch or satchel, on occasion. I feel safer than in my

mother's womb. Whatever the BG brought, I'll knock him over, and set his

clothes on fire at the same time.;)

To sum it up, perhaps not the most practical of pistols. But

just thinking about it makes me smile.

14. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Epic fail at reading post dates. Resurrecting dead threads, LIKE A BOSS!

15. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

DE has Risen! Thank you Todd_ for being a part of this Epic Fail.

16. techiej

techiej New Member

I've shot the 44 mag version and it is a lot of fun! Recoil in the 44 was not much more than what I am used to in a 9mm Glock.

Even though it is a big gun I liked the way it felt in my hand. As an FYI, I have a Glock 17 Gen 4 that I use without the add-on grips so I normally shoot using a "slim" grip.

BUT...for me it was not practical and I would only be firing it about once a month at the range so I passed on purchasing it as I would not be able to sweet talk the better half into one.

17. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The Desert Eagle 50 is a lot a gun, I wish I had one. Maybe not to shoot, but to have in the set. Just to say I got one is good enough for me. If Hi Point made a .50 then I would be looking at them, but the .45 JHP is about all the power I need. In my opinion, if you can handle a .50 then go for it, but the .45 is the real killer.

18. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

I will add to this resurrection by saying that nobody has addressed the fact that DE manufactures a 1911 (or at least their name is on it). Not sure when it hit the market but it has a nice feel. With the exception of the barrel, I believe it's pretty much a MIM gun.

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

It is an awe inspiring piece of hardware. Probably why Hollywood loves, loves, loves it. I wanted a 44 for many reasons, well actually I wanted a 454 Casull but when I saw the $1,000 field, $1,500 premier price tag - I had a conversion to 44 mag.

Like everyone at that time, I wanted a Desert Eagel but couldn't afford it. I ended up w Rugers Superblackhawk in 5.5". Great gun - while at range guy pulls out brand new Desert Eagle and since I had 44 mag ammo, he let me fire it - in essence - to break it in for him. It recoiled just like my single action pistol w a whole lotta muzzle jump & an arc to the rear.

It was not as unpleasant as the SW 29 which pretty much comes right back at ya and has been known to smack people upside the head. In fact, it was as easy to shoot as single action but cost 4X more.

Accuracy was good to excellent w all 3 guns as long as you did your part. I like the DEs weight when I'm firing it. Seems to steady the front sight somehow or at least that's my .02

You'll have to reload or move down to 44 spec for double taps. Will it cycle 44 spec ?

20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Why are we resurrecting 3 year old threads?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.