45 Degree sights on carbine

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Crazycastor, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Here is a picture of my ar15 carbine. I'm planning on putting a Lucid red dot on it but I also want to put 45 degree off aet sights on it. My problem is I have put the front sight on the gas block which is lower then the picattany rail on the upper. Does anyone know of a company that makes them specifically for this set up? Has anyone done this to their carbine? I've already replaced the but stock with a ajustable stock and want to make this gun my bug out gun.

Attached Files:

2. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

That will be tough to level out, your already not on the same plane. If you could look up the difference in height between the upper receiver rail and the gas block rail. I know they make BUIS or this set up, but never heard of a 45 degree offset with the height compensated in the mount. Not sure if they even make a riser that thin.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I think RRA make the front gas block sight your looking for

5. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Was kinda wanting to spend my money on sights instead of a new hand guard. I liked that hand guard and its cool. If I can't find what I'm looking will probably have to go that route. Going to call rock rivers and see what they have when I get home from work early enough

6. monteros

monteros New Member

I can tell you from experience don't ever try to mix a 45 offset rail mount to a rail mounted site. Either use two 45's or two rails at 1:30. It's likely if you mix you won't be able to zero :) Learned the hard way hehe. I was able to zero, but the front sight post was almost entirely unscrewed and wobbly.... Moved the rear sight from my 45 to another two inch rail on my hand guard at 45/1:30 and it was almost a natural factory zero at neutral on the sites.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  7. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Yea I bet. What I'm looking for is a solid 45 degree sight front and back. I can't figure out why they would make the gas block rail shorter. Just causes to many problems.

8. trauma35

trauma35 New Member

It is my understanding that they make the gas block lower than the upper receiver so you can't mount magpul mbus sights (polymer) to the gas block. Magpul says they will melt. I had the same problem. I just put a Troy 13in alpha rail over a low profile gas block with a built in flip up sight. I still use a rear mbus however.

9. indy36

indy36 New Member

I have them on mine, but I have a tall gas block up front. image-402511709.jpg

Wouldn't it be easiest (and cheapest) for you to just put a tall gas block up front?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  10. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Went on a LGS trip with a potential buyer. He turned down another wise good price on a model with the low front gas block.

I am interested on where this thread goes and what your decision is.

11. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

The only problem with changing out the gas block is that the barrel is 14 1/2 long so they had to pin and weld the flash suppressor on.

12. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

:mad: That really sucks

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

Just dug through the Brownells catalog. There are mini risers and M4 handguard rail toppers. Maybe one of these would work for you???

image-1491300171.jpg
    image-907585866.jpg
    image-668158717.jpg
    image-4234990639.jpg

14. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Good looking out. Going to have to check out those mini risers. That might just be the answer

15. indy36

indy36 New Member

Hope it does. Keep us posted.

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Preface: End up with a gun you will love.

But I'm going to share with you what I would prefer: If it's going to wear a Lucid RD (zero magnification), I think most shooters are best served with a co-witness iron sight setup...probably with a flip rear sight. Just more practical and less awkward than 45deg sights for almost everyone. And I'd generally recommend a 14.5-16" ML gas setup for the use you're talking about.

If your current rifle doesn't easily comply with your desired outcome, the best option (for your rifle and your wallet) is often to leave it as it is and sell it. Way better than trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole in my experience. And then simply re-invest into a setup that will better suit your needs. AR overhauls can quickly become non-recoverable money pits.

17. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I'm not wanting to over haul my new upper, I'm just trying to find some sights to fit it. Yea I agree with the co witness but this gun will be used for close range. The off set sights were for back up or longer shots. I have a scope that keeps pretty close zero when removed and re-installed. I'm pretty much setting up the gun the way I want.

18. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Just got the Lucid in, put it on my rifle and I tell ya what. The first thing I did was take it outside to see if there was any washout with this desert landscape and I'm impressed. No washout with the bright landscape. Its just the perfect height to look down the gun with both eyes opened. I love the mounts on this sight too. Fits tight without any movement. The nuts to lock it down with are big enough to use your hands to tighten them down. Kinda scared to put a wrench on them because I could tigten them really tight with my hands. Can't wait to sight this bad boy in.

19. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

You will love that Lucid, I love mine. What's impressive is one you sight it in, switch reticles , it stays zeroed.

20. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Yea I can't wait for some shooting time. Do you understand the MOA part of the arrow shape reticle