.45 caliber??

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by RedneckRunner625, May 31, 2013.

1. RedneckRunner625

RedneckRunner625 New Member

What is the best all around .45 caliber pistol at a decent price?

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

RIA 1911 gets my vote.

3. rickster

rickster New Member

image-2386579334.jpg

Para Ordnance Elite.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

There is no such thing as a best anything pistol. I am, however, very satisfied with my Ruger.

5. RedneckRunner625

RedneckRunner625 New Member

Well what are the pros and cons to having a .45 caliber? Just less accurate? I'm just looking to be better informed about it so I can make a smart buy

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

45 caliber bullets are extremely accurate more so by far than 9mm 357mag 38spl 40sw 10mm.

My pref for a good quality 45acp especially for ccw is the xdm compact. The full size 4.5" version is a bit big for ccw but an extremely accurate gun.

The cz97bd is highly accurate and a pleasure to shoot due to almost perfect balance of weight grip size and weapon balance. Its often overlooked because its huge all steel but only holds 10 rounds

Ruger blackhawks in 45colt are stupid accurate.

Only cons i can think of is slightly reduced capacity as in number of rounds in a magazine. Other than that there really arent any i can think of.

7. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Full size xd or Fnx gives you high capacity offerings.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Please explain your statement that .45 acp is more accurate then the other calibers. Is this personal, or do you have scientific/reliable proof? Not trying to troll you, I am truly curious. I have owned all mentioned calibers some time in my life, but never tried to see which is more accurate.

9. mahall

mahall New Member

Yes please explain!! Is the 45 round a faster bullet?? That the only thing I can think of!! Is there any truth to the more velocity the more accurate!??

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'm more curious to find out why the OP thinks 45's are less accurate than other calibers.

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The .45 is subsonic. It is slower.

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

depends on your needs and what your decent price is. Not many bad pistols makers out there today. All can let a turd of a handgun slip thru too. Try to shoot aven pistol you get a chance too and see what you can rent with in your 45 acp caliber . Some gun range will let you shoot any pistol they have available to help with short'n down your list.

13. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

Any pistol is as accurate as the shooter. The calibers and loads make the bullet drop more or less. Other than a bullet knows one thing... Bang and go straight. A certain gun with triggers or barrel types may make the shooter less or more accurate but the bullet has nothing to do with it.

14. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

image-520565336.jpg

If your worried about capacity this horse is 15 + 1. Not for small hands though.

15. mahall

mahall New Member

I saw a "Glock" 9mm today with a 50 round mag!! Fueling it!! Pretty wild but great for the range!! And pretty much anything else but conceal! Good luck trying to pull that off!! The gun was 600,000 pennies and the mag was another 200k!! 800 bucks and your HD problems would forever vanish!! I almost bought it!! But I didn't think a local war was going to break out anytime soon-:)

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Best for what? Carry, target shooting, hunting, competition, busting beer bottles, home defense, taking to war?

You want an auto or a revolver?

Double action, single action or striker fired?

What do you consider a decent price? A decent price for a hand fitted gun milled from forged steel may be a lot different in price range than a gun made of cast parts and mass produced, ore even one with molded polymer frames.

We talking .45 ACP, .45 ACP, .45 GAP, .455 Webley, .454 Casul? Lots of gun have the bore diameter (caliber), but run very different cartridges.

Need more info.

17. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

You should check out "professional Russian" on youtube. He has a lot of awesome vids. One with a full auto glock 18 and a 100 rd drum.

18. mahall

mahall New Member

I'm sorry I tried to be a smarty 600 bucks translates into 60k! Pennies!! Foot in mouth!! Lol

19. mahall

mahall New Member

If I can't carry it I really don't want it these days!! I have a little something in the safe for any unwanted company!! But my little sub 9 is like my wallet, if it isn't on me it's near me-:)

20. orangello

orangello New Member

I am very fond of my XD45 tactical/geezer-barreled in OD green. It has never malfunctioned. It seems as accurate as any of my other pistols (a function of my lack of practice). It was about $570 a few years ago, probably a bit less nowadays.