45 cal. Ammo - Sources of Bulk Ammo for Practice?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bf109, May 6, 2011.

1. bf109

bf109 New Member

Hi, I'm thinking of getting my 1st 45 cal. pistol but the cost of ammo is going to be doubled (i.e. 0.45-.50/round) than my 9mm ammo, which costs about 0.22/round. I mainly buy the Value Pack Remington UMC 250 rounds from Walmart. The same package is availabe for 40 S&W but not for 45 ACP.

Can you share some sources of reliable and inexpensive 45 ammo in bulk package? I'll buy them for practice at the range. For personal defense, I'll get higher quality defensive ammo.

Thanks.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

3. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've used Georgia Arms .44 mag ammo, and liked it just fine.

4. yellowhand

yellowhand New Member

Reloading an option???

The cost of Walmart ammo vs reloading.
    Reloading is easy, far cheaper than off the shelf ammo, even the cheap Russian stuff, can be tailored made to what you need and it does not cost much to pack away primers, powder and bullets for the rainy day we all hope never arrives.

Handloading Cost Calculator
    This site is simple input your costs for primer, powder, cases (if first time reload after ist reload, they are free) and bullets.
    Unique cost 18.00 a pound, and in 9mm, 3.6 grains per round will give you well over a 1000 rounds, actually around 1400 or more.
    Primers run 15 to 22 a 1000 @ Wideners.
    9mm 146 grain lead RN bullets costs 190.00 for 3000 @ Wideners

Cases for .45 run 33.00 for 285 free shipping from;
    Once-Fired-Brass
    9mm runs 150.00 for 5600
    .40 SW runs 105.00 for 4200

A Lee Turret press will go for 120.00 along with a set of dies at 34.00
    Single stage press for 25.00, slow but works well.

Just a thought for having a LOT of ammo.

5. bf109

bf109 New Member

Hi, thanks for the info. It seems reloading is the way to go. Maybe I can save the expensed brass case for reloading.

How many times can a brass case by resued for reloading? How do press the primer on the bottom? Do you need to remove the old primer first?

Are there any good sites for reloading? Thanks.

6. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

7. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

IIRC, my RCBS Rock Chucker Master Kit (or something like that) cost about $225 - $250 when I got it 10 years ago. It is a starter kit. In addition you'll need .45 dies (about $50) And a reloading book from whatever manufacture bullet you decided to use.

The book will tell you the basics, and walk you through depriming the old brass, etc.

I can't remember how many times brass is considered safe to reload I have only done a little reloading so it hasn't been an issue. I think it's in the neighborhood of 6-10 times for riffle ammo, maybe more for the straight wall .45 acp. I guess there's some heating techniques that will allow you to get more like 20 reloads.

8. yellowhand

yellowhand New Member

9. Wambli

Wambli New Member

I don't have the time to reload the amount of ammo I go through in a range session. When I have time to devote to gun stuff I rather go shoot. For me the UMC 250 pack is cost effective and I buy them from WalMarts. I don't know why your WalMarts does not carry it. I buy them a few at a time (also 9mm and .40S&W) when I'm in the store and come home and dump them into 50 cal ammo cans. I keep a few of those in all three caibers topped off an any given point.

10. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I am not into reloading, at least not yet. So I don't mind using non-reloadable rounds for range use. Palmetto State Armory had the best prices I've seen but they've been out of stock for a while. Recently, I bought a bunch from

Glens Outdoors.com

I never received them. Did a UPS track and found that they were loaded onto the truck for delivery but then the driver reported damage later in the day, and oh my...all merchandise missing, carton discarded! OoooooK. Bad driver. He must have stolen it all. I reported it back to Glens, and they were under the impression I made the report that there were items missing. I straightened them out, they reamed UPS and had my new shipment out the next day. They are due to arrive tomorrow. I will absolutely do business with Glens again. Great customer service.

11. smokinbunta

smokinbunta New Member

Ammo Deals | Slickguns

this has pretty good deals... except call the place that is having the deal first and find out if they actually still have it in stock.. they run out QUICK! or just go to USAAMMO.com but as far as i know.... the .40 s&w reloaded ammo from USA after shipping cost the same as walmart.... bout $.30 per rd

12. bf109

bf109 New Member

Is it worth reloading the 9mm for cost savings?

Thanks all for your feedbacks and info.

I'm not sure if I will get into reloading and am still trying to understand how much work is involved and how much savings I'll have.

For those who reload their ammos, is it worth reloading the 9mm ammo? I can get from Walmart at 0.22/round factory ammo. How much would it cost to reload 9mm rounds, excluding the cost of reloading equipment?

Thanks.

13. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

I relead 9mm for .09-.10 per round. keep in mind that I am loading 122 gn LRNFP, so if lead is not your thing you will have to kick up the cost a bit. also, a local guy is casting the bullets for me so it is a bit cheaper than most places.

14. mes227

mes227 New Member

CheaperThanDirt charges $191 per 500 (new) plus $20 shipping (but no sales tax). Georgia Arms charges $170 per 500 (reload) plus $40 shipping (no tax). I occasionally find reloads at a shop nearby for a bit less. My son recently got into reloading and his cost is about $0.20/round.

15. 22LRShooter

22LRShooter New Member

Check out TheGunsandGearStore.com they have really great deals on ammo with a bunch of different Brand Name Choices between .30 - .40 cents... They also cap all shipping charges on ammo at $22.99 no matter how much ammo you buy!

I have had good success with the PMC 45 ACP and it is a great deal too! PROMOTIONAL - Bronze Line .45 ACP 230 Grain Full Metal Jacket The Guns and Gear Store - Quality Hunting, Reloading, Shooting, and Outerwear Supplies... the BEST Prices Always! Shop Here for Great Deals! Located at 2103 Frontage Road North, Suite #11,