.45 Brass to the Eye

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by sc00ts, Apr 23, 2013.

1. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

About 2 years ago my RI 1911 ejected a spend casing straight back into my face. The casing hit below my right eye, just below my safety glasses and actually hot stamped me with the indent of the ejector groove. The gun was fairly new at that time, only ~200 rounds through it, hasn't happened since. Has that ever happened to anyone else?

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Only with a Glock 17 when I was very young and learning to shoot it. This is a problem with quite a few newbies with Glock.

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

It happens... change your panties and move on. ;)

Tack

4. john300k

john300k New Member

My M&P .45 got me a couple of months ago. I was wearing a ball cap (protect my bald head) and a spent cartridge came up and hit the bill and landed between my glasses and eye lid. Yeah it left a mark...lol,

5. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

Ouch man. Yeah that would suck! Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that's happened to.

6. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

.......... Xx

Attached Files:

7. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

Stuck between glasses and eye.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

I was standing right next to Jstrong when his sister's .22 popped him in the eye with a casing.

I stood over my squad leader as he was kneeling and firing around the corner of a house in Afghanistan. His semi auto M16 firing wasn't getting my jollies off well enough, so I opened up with my saw and dumped a boat load of hot brass down the back of his flak jacket. Oops...

I did the same to my platoon commander a couple days later.

And my team leader. Platoon sergeant. Then my assistant team leader when I got my own team. My best buddy. An Iraqi insurgent. An Afghan interpreter.

Come to think of it, I don't know if there's anyone I haven't dumped hot brass on. I even let Sue grab a couple casings from my boss's AR this past Sunday (I DID watch to make sure they had been sitting there cooling for a moment. But they were warm enough that he learned something from it.)

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Anyone who has ever shot more than a few rounds has been "Branded" by hot brass. In the face, behind the glasses and down the shirt. Anyone who drinks coffee has had been burned in the most tender spot.:eek:

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Happened to me just a couple weeks ago. Left a pattern that looked like the statue of liberty on my jeans...

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That is why eye and ear protection is always recommended.

Normal glasses are not safety glasses. Prescription "wrap around" glasses are available. Or just get prescription safety glasses.

I also wear a ball cap and t-shirt. I want to protect what little hair I have left.

12. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

Caught one on the side of my face last week at the range from one of the guys shooting next to me, I don't even know what side it came from.

One minute I was setting up to shoot, didn't even have my glasses on yet, next minute I was like Forest Gump - " Ow! Something bit me!" Frickin' check was bleed ing like crazy. It happens.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I had a buddy spotting prone next to me , My gun ejected a hot .223 round on his back and down the crack of his *** , Shoulda seen the moves he had before he finally got his pants dropped . LOL anyone got crack protection :D

14. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I've been pegged in the forehead many times, but I don't recall ever getting hit in the eye. I bet thats a real eye opener.

15. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

At the indoor range that I sometimes shoot at - the shooting stalls have high walls and when shooting, the ejected cases will impact and riccochet off of these stall walls and go straight up into the air.
    I had one come straight down perfectly and got caught in between my shooting glasses and my eye lid. Looked just like Goertz's pic. And I was wearing safety glasses too.
    I was just proud of myself for having the composure during the few seconds of intense burning pain to act calmly to safety and holster my weapon before snatching off my glasses (in other words this could have been the potential for me to flash the muzzle in all unsafe directions while trying to frantically remove the hot casing).

After that, I always wear a hat with a large bill that hangs over the top of my forehead and any glasses - even while shooting indoors.

16. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I've seen hot brass go down a person's shirt. They always do this funny dance while they beat and shake their shirt.