.45 acp vs .45 gap

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lbwar15, Jul 2, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

what is the major difference in the acp and the gap besides length. What is better in everyones opinion and why?

2. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Standard .45 ACP is my choice simply because its cheaper and easier to find than GAP. Is there a difference in performance? Perhaps a little (dont honestly know), but not enough to justify ignoring all other factors.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Someone once described the .45 GAP as "the answer to the question no one ever asked"

Yeah, there may be a performance difference. A minor difference. The biggest factor for me would be, I have NEVER seen a .45 GAP round on any shelf anywhere, much less a gun that is chambered for it.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I still prefer the 45ACP. Availability is the big issue and past experience with the round!
    Like so many the GAP may come and go as so many before it have!

5. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Isnt that the same thing that was said about the .40?

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sure, sure, the .45 GAP - a round designed around a question that was never asked and a problem that didn't exist. Expensive, hard to find, odd ball by definition, what's not to love? :rolleyes:

Stick with the .45 ACP. It's been knocking junk in the dirt for so long even Canebrake can't remember where he was when it first debuted. :D

JD

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Actually someone did specifically ask for the .40 - it was the FBI who found they had problems with small handed folks ,like their upswing in female recruits, trying hold the bigger grip of the .45

They asked for an alterantive that could be double stacked and still provide a small grip purchase area. The .40 S&W was the result of that request.

But I do agree with your assessment. ;)

JD

8. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Iirc, it was to to grip size and recoil of the 10mm, not 45acp

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Are you sure? I thought it was the .45. :confused: Now I have to go pull the book out of the collection and double check.

I reserve the right to change that if I am wrong and you are correct. I don't remember the FBI fielding the 10mm on a wide scale, but now you honestly have me doubting myself. :eek:

More to follow....

UPDATE: I was wrong and SSCRS was correct. It was the 10mm cartridge they were trying to replicate in a smaller, more compact version. I hereby stand corrected.....apologies one and all.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

if you reload, the gap has a few advantages. Smaller mags, smaller grip, pretty much the same ballistics as acp. Basically they tried to make a .45 acp fit in the same size grip as a 9mm / 40 S&W. I thinks its was a commendable try, but it just never caught on or got popular.

if you need to buy all your ammo, go for the acp. way cheaper and way easier to find.

11. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Overall case capacity would be lower, somebody us playing with hot rodded 45+p are out of luck depending on powder type.

12. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Aha! Glad you caught what I was saying!

Very few people know what S&W really stands for ;-)

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Short and wimpy?

14. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Or weak, yes....but we digress.

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yes case capacity was limited by the overall length and the larger thicker walls and floor (by the primer) dimensions. IIRC it allowed the brass to withstand higher pressures. Overall ballistics are very similar to .45 acp to, +p loadings not withstanding. I'm pretty sure that the sub sonic loads and ballistics are pretty much spot on.

16. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

All good. I happen to have the American Rifleman issue on FBI firearms next to the crapper right now, main reason its so fresh to memory.