45 acp v.s. 38 super

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Ultimate_sig, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Ive shot all kinds of 45 ammo but never 38. I know 38 travels fast but is it more powerful, does it carry more damage? Someone with experience with both help me out here, if you could get the same gun in 45 or 38 which would you choose?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The .38 super is an uploaded version of the old (John Browning designed) .38 ACP. Factory loads are definately more powerful than a standard 9mm. IPSC shooters like it because it can be handloaded much hotter than that. The common lopading of 130 gr FMJ is inadequte for defense. The Winchester Silvertip load is a 125 gr bullet at 1240 fps. No slouch by any stretch. Corbon makes several loadings, but I cannot find the exact ballistic info. Generally they are hotter than most other makers. Federal makes a 115 gr HP.

I want a .38 Super, but not in place of a .45. If I could only have one, it would be a .45. Proven fight stopper and more commonly available ammo.

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Awsome info and helpful, I asked cause im getting a colt. Probibly a xse80, still debating the cold cup iys only a $1more. But someone said there not as good as they usta be and id be better off with the xse....i dont think he knew I could get it for just a buck more

4. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

He was inquiring about .38 SUPER, not special.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  5. raceroch

raceroch New Member

Make sure to pay attention to cost of ammo for the 38super which is by no means inexpensive or abundant. Especially compared to the 45acp. If reloading that's another story.