45 acp +P

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by twobilly, Apr 29, 2013.

1. twobilly

twobilly New Member

Is it safe to shoot 45 acp + P in the new model Ruger Vaqueros chambered for the 45acp

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

3. twobilly

twobilly New Member

Jim I did ask Ruger and couldnt get a stright answer from them

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As Jim stated. Ruger is the best choice for the information. My opinion I would not!
    I believe in time it would no doubt damage your fine Ruger Vaquero which is a fine gun!
    Their original revolver design was not designed to fire very hot defense rounds.
    And for me I can not see taking a chance with any of my prized pieces. Even a model 66 S&W 357 Mag. Pistol will not withstand a constant diet of magnum loads and they were theoretically built for those rounds. Only my opinion!;)

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

yes.

I would not feed it a steady diet of +P- it will accelerate wear on the gun- but not unsafe.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

+P is a legit spec. Typically if it's not safe to use +P ammo, a gun maker will be quite clear about it. NOTE: the +P spec wasn't exactly a huge leap in pressure either. It's a jump from 21,000 psi to 23,000 psi (not quite 9%). This might pose a problem in granddad's 1918 Colt, but in a modern Ruger it's not really worth worrying about, IMHO.

From Wikipedia:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  7. twobilly

twobilly New Member

I want to thank everyone for their in-put on this I wouldnt want to take a chance of ruining my
    gun as Sniper brought out it just would not be worth it.
    I was considering only useing the +P as more or less for a densive load when I am out hikeing

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

You can. The new vaquero is pretty stout. Its not a colt or uberti clone of a colt.

It will accelerate wear on the cylinder and forcing cone but not a lot.

Did you get the 45colt 45acp combo??

If so 45 colt is a more effective round than the acp

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  9. twobilly

twobilly New Member

No Jon I didnt get the combo I have the Ruger Vaquero Birdshead model in 45 acp

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

That would be my personal advice. The 45 ACP is not a high pressure round so even at +p I don't see it causing a problem in a modern firearm which also has been chambered in 357 Mag.;)

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Generally only compact guns, or older guns, or cheaply made guns have issues with +P ammo, which you Ruger is none of the above.I would say yes but don't quote me, ask Ruger or maybe do alot of Googling.