45 acp for deer

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CaseyChadwell, Sep 25, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I know old timers that have used 1911s for deer successfully, my question is this: what do you all think about a 45 for deer out of a carbine? I love challenging myself with what others think is dumb cartridge choices for deer. Along the way, I have found that a 223 is actually a great choice for deer if you wait for a perfect shot. The the fusion ammo, they don't go far when hit in the vitals if they go anywhere. If I shot 75 yards and under does the 45 have the power to take my whitetail? Give me hard facts, I love numbers and I know you all can give me the numbers on whether it will cleanly take a deer and at what ranges.

2. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Kinda sounds like you just like opening up worm cans. You're gonna do whatever you want to do, regardless of what anyone says, for the 'challenge' of it. So what youre really after is for people to argue about it.
    Will a .45acp work? Yep. At 75 yds? Probly. Should it be tried just for a 'challenge' or an experiment? That can only be answered by YOUR ethics.
    Personally, I try my best for a quick, sure kill. Im past the point in my life where I thought it was fun to just see what happens, in regards to an animal that I am hunting.

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

45acps would be illegal to use down in Idaho, Utah, as well as others and here in Alaska for not having enough energy. What state do you live in Casey?

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

even in a carbine, there are still many more much better choices than a 45 acp. it's a heavy and slow round. yes under ideal conditions and range, it will kill a deer. but still IMO, there are much better choices.

if it was a situation where that's all i had, and i needed the deer meat to survive, it would be a good choice.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Why not just get a muzzle-loading rifle for challenge?

My first thought was "didn't Danny DeVito do that in the movie Hoffa?".

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

With a 230 Gr, carbine velocities, ballistic co-efficent of 0.195, the energy at 75 yds is light for what I would consider a humane kill. Over 75 yds, it begins to drop like a bad habit.

Zeroed at 50 yds, at 75 yards has 398 ft lbs, strikes -3.6 inches below POA.
    At 100 yds, it would have 383 Ft lbs, and be 10 inches low.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Not cool. Not humane. That is all I am going to say.

8. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

There is a reason that experienced hunters use rifles....

9. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Whoa fellas...calm yourselves :). I asked a question to get more information before I went out on this venture. I not one time said that I am going to do this...I merely suggested it would be an interesting endeavor. Now, I have not one time shot an animal to just see what happens. I have always asked for advice before hunting with ANY caliber. I do like to hunt with different calibers, it does make the heart race quite a bit when you have to sit and watch the animals for a very long time until the shot is perfect, or watch the animal walk away. C3shooter, that is what I was wanting to know. Thank you for you expertise sir. I live in Kentucky...I tried to put that in the original post, but I was trying to multitask and it didn't fair too well.
    The challenge is knowing that the animal I plan to harvest has to be 100% perfect before the shot can be made. When I go out with a 243 I know from experience that a fusion bullet will go thru the shoulder and exit the other side, so if the animal is quartered slightly, it is still going to get the amount of penetration needed to reach the vitals. When I hunt with a 223, I know that the animal has to be perfect in order to be able to put the bullet into the vitals, stay away from the shoulder, no long shots, no quartering shots etc...I don't appreciate being told that I am inhumane in my hunting ethics because I tried to gain more knowledge on a round I was not familiar with out of a carbine. Thanks for those who had advice and not criticism.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I didn't mean to sound mean. I was just suggesting a different way to increase the "challenge" by using a BP rifle. There are some fairly inexpensive models that will also look cool on the wall. In many states you get an extra week or so on the season for using a "primitive" weapon.

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

the next question would be, can the shooter tell the difference between 75 yards and 115? most hunters I know can't without a range finder.

these rounds were not designed for taking medium sized game at any kind of a distance. when I see posts like this I scratch my head and hear my Dad's words: "just because you CAN do something does not mean it is a good idea"

get a hunting rifle for deer hunting. a pistol caliber carbine is not a hunting rifle IMHO

12. Axxe55

another point i would add is this. you would probably have to reload to get a better performing bullet than what is available as a factory round. most 45 acp rounds are designed for target practice and human targets, not deer.

with reloading you can load a more suitable bullet and load a little hotter to gain more velocity and energy.

now whether it would be suitable for deer is beyond me, but those are my suggestions for you to think over.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

75 yards? At most I would trust it to make a clean ethical kill at about 30 to 40 yards... are there better choices for challenge heck yes.. how about a pistol chambered in 45-70 or 44 mag, a muzzleloader... oldshcool like a flintlock... do I like your idea? Not really... but you are the one who has to live with your choices... as to e question it will probly work... but the risks are high... also check local laws as far as hunting with a semi auto, mag capacity and caliber requirements.

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I did not say you were inhumane or what you were doing is not cool. You asked us our thoughts about the caliber. That is my thought about the caliber. Not about you. Hey, you asked. You wanted all our opinions as hunters. That is my opinion.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Man come up to IL the deer are so plentiful around here they will walk right up to you :D . I have shot lots of deer with bow and arrow with far lesser energy than the .45 acp produces . Its all about the shot placement folks ;)

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Ahh but an arrow has a extremely sharp broad head that helps turn the vitals into hello.. every movement an arrow makes inside an animal causes more damage... far more damage than some bullets.

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Even though, under ideal conditions, the .45 ACP could be very effective in killing a deer, it not a good choice, because in real life, you would, hardly, ever have the ideal condition.

An ethical hunter will search for the most certain weapon to dispatch the animal in as humane a way as possible, and that would not be an under-powered pistol round, regardless what you shot it from.

18. Axxe55

should we outlaw bows and arrows for deer hunting as well?:rolleyes:

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

This is getting ridiculous killing deer for handgun experiments because the deer are conditioned to human presence. In over populated states deer learn to accept the human as part of their environment. Using them for ammunition testing is "SICK".:eek:

20. orangello

orangello New Member

The Nugget/ted nugent encounters those conditions on most of his recorded "hunts", it just ain't free or particularly sporting.
    ;)