45-70 revolver...

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by supergus, Mar 2, 2009.

1. supergus

supergus New Member

I was at Gander Mtn today and they had a Magnum Research 9" ish revolver chambered for 45-70:eek: Anyone ever shoot a 45-70 revolver? From another thread: You might have a gun problem if- you buy a 45-70 revolver just 'cause it's cool as hell:D

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Yeah, I shot one... It was NO FUN! It makes a S&W 500 look rather whimpy. And just wait until you see how much the ammo is!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83tzCMeLPo]YouTube - Magnum Research 45-70 BFR Big F-n Revolver[/ame]

3. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

The only .45-70s I've shot were the single shot Contender. With factory loads this is not too bad, but the handloads I was using were pretty violent, using 500 gr. cast bullets wrapped in Teflon tape. The bearing surface was wrapped in tape prior to sizing and used in place of bullet lube. This gun also had those rubber grips which peel the hide off your hand.

God made walnut for handgun grips.

Bob Wright

4. Nashville Milt

Nashville Milt New Member

45-70 owner

I have one and it's really not as bad as everyone says. Granted, unless you have forearms like Chuck Norris you have to take aim as your arm is being dragged down by the heft. I think is kicks less than a 44 mag. but it is expensive to shoot.

Hope this helps.

5. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

I have shot the TC Contender in 45-70 and some little small carbines and never thought about it being hard on recoil. But I have been shooting guns since I was 16 yrs old and that includes 18 yrs on the Army Pistol team. I also have a 500 SW and it is no fun to shoot. I get about 5 rounds off, even with a glove, and that is all I want for the day. It took several trips to the range to get the monster sighted in. My son now, will shoot the damn thing until he runs me out of expensive ammo. I think he is just showing off for his Dad. LOL
    Sarge

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I guess I must have a problem !

Attached Files:

7. orangello

orangello New Member

"hang on whilest i whip this out..." :eek:

Please, please shoot a bear with that, maybe pistol whip the bear a bit first.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Ah hell I have two problems & they will test your grip.

Attached Files:

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

How about a 600 Nitro Express?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIQipl42FLA&feature=related]Revolver 600 Nitro Express , Jumbo. Shooting in the dash "Safari Club" in Kharkov - YouTube[/ame]

Attached Files:

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGKZW4AX5YQ]Muggs BFR .450 Marlin - YouTube[/ame]

The most powerful production handgun in the WORLD !

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  12. CubDriver451

CubDriver451 New Member

The only 45/70 BFR that I have shot had a brake on it, and it was firm recoil but not painful at all. We were shooting handloads that the owner had assembled with cast bullets, but I could not tell you what the load was.

While I love big bore revolvers, I don't like the looks of the long cylinder guns such as the 45/70, 500 Smith and the like. My 5 1/4" BFR in .475 Linebaugh provides plenty of power to do anything that I need a handgun for, and I find it far more portable than the larger framed, long barreled guns. With full house loads, it's also about all the recoil that I care to endure.

JW

13. mes227

mes227 New Member

I'll shoot anything. Once!

14. djl4570

djl4570 New Member

A 45-70 handgun is something you shoot once cause you're curious and twice if you're stupid.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

And five times if you are just plumb F-en nuts, O wait I resemble that remark.

16. Big Gay Al

Big Gay Al New Member

17. Papa_Woody

Papa_Woody New Member

18. Philrich01

Philrich01 New Member

Gotta love it!

"We'll have fun fun fun until daddy takes the BFR away".

The secret to these hand cannons is reloading. Cost is 25 cents on the dollar. After you get the brass, which lasts a long time; I'm still reloading WRA inherited brass, 50-60 years old; cost is 33 to 45 cents apiece. Both HOT and Cool rounds, 1200 to 2200 feet per second!

This BFR also has option of convertible 450 Marlin cylinder! Enjoy-Phil

Attached Files:

19. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Supergus, I think anyone has a screw loose that buys ANY gun just because it look cool! However, the .45-70 is like any other purpose-built gun - when used for what it was built for, it does its job and does it well! Use it to hunt big game or as a bear protection gun and it should only need to be touched off once or twice, maximum. This is not something you'll take to the range to fire all day! Even to sight it you'll use a bore laser and only fire to confirm.

This gun was built as a convenience to hunters so they could carry a sidearm while on long hunting trips and did not have to carry a different ammunition from their primary rifle. It was meant as a backup in case the rifle failed and the prey turned to hunt the hunter, or as protection in camp while the rifle was in the tent or being cleaned or repaired. This gun was never meant to be fired except in the most dire of circumstances.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

at some point someone is going to break the stupid barrier and create a 50bmg revolver