45-70 opinions!!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by iftown, Jan 14, 2013.

1. iftown

iftown New Member

Anybodys opinons on a 45 70 ? Might pick up a nice marlin from a buddies gunshop.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  2. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Do you hunt deer, bear or elk in dense woods where the shots are close?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

The new marlins are superb 45-70's.

(Be sure to use a complete title for future posts)

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I've shot alot of different 45-70's at ranges up to 1000 yards. It is a fine old cartridge. You can not load the Marlins too hot but still good enough for reasonable distance shots at any US hoofed game.

5. iftown

iftown New Member

I wana do some bear hunts i jus picked up a beautiful mossberg 300 win mag ducks unlimited edition but i still wanted somthing a little bigger thanks for the replys guys

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I would pass on the new Marlins. The Jap Winchesters are high quality rifles. The Mdl. 1886 45-70 rifles are very fine arms.

Attached Files:

7. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've got a Ruger No.1 in 45-70. Fine piece o' hardware. :) Overkill on a whitetail, but still a fun cartridge.

8. iftown

iftown New Member

See an the 45 70 at my buds shop is the new marlin sbl its like a greyish color stock its really pretty gun but jus want some feedback on it ive only owned one lever action it was a 30 30 so jus was curious on what u guys thought

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I never knew or understood over kill? I have have seen many cases of under kill! The 45-70 solids make a nice round 1/2" hole that you can eat right up to.:)

10. iftown

iftown New Member

Ya an i would probably do some bear hunts with it but that's it idk why i just like big guns and its reasonably priced he said he would give it to me for 550

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have shot a few of the somewhat older Marlin 45-70's and they shot fine. I've have not shot any made in the last 15 years or so. The Ruger #1's in 45-70 are a beast! You can pack the powder in those things. They can approach .458 Win loads(they do kick a bit when loaded hot with 500 grain bullets). Those Marlins with 300 or 350 grain bullets are fairly mild to shoot.

12. iftown

iftown New Member

See an im fairly new to the gun scene im starting to really catch on but why can one rifle shoot a hotter load then other rifles kinda like the newer marlin my buddie is tryn to get me into ?

13. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Marlin is an old and respected name and they are famous for their lever actions. The problem is since being bought out a few years ago the have had serious QC problems with their products. I would give any "new" Marlin a very careful inspection for fit, finish and function before buying it.

14. iftown

iftown New Member

Would u guys recomend anything as far as a big caliber gun for decent price rather than a 45 70?

15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Have any examples of bad QA from marlin or just your typical heard it from a guy that knows this other guy. Ask marlinman why im asking that question.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Its bc like me you've never handled a marlin-new-w these so called problems. Op the reason you can load some to higher power is bc the #1 is a rolling block ie locks up alot more solid and has less parts to break w higher pressures. Lever actions have more parts moving so more things ro break/blow apart. Ruger #1 also has ALOT more metal surrounding the cartridge in one solid piece

17. iftown

iftown New Member

So how many grain U think would be safe ? To shoot without beating the beast up ?

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Most companies that put out factory loads for em say if they are for lever guns or not. If your reloading ask jonM highwall or hossfly what they load to. I don't load for it. Loading books usually tell you what's safe for lever guns and what's not.

19. iftown

iftown New Member

Cool il have to check em out

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

All have chipped in on this thread. I shoot 280 grain hornady leverlutions through mine for what its worth.