.45-70 Crossbolt Safety?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by littlejimmy, Feb 29, 2012.

1. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

I have a Marlin 1895SS lever action. The SS designation is not stainless steel, I believe it stands for sport safety. I was looking to trade this rifle to a cowboy action shooter, but he backed off after asking about this safety being a crossbolt. I have read that people don't like the non-traditional placement (on the receiver), but what are the issues besides that? Thanks.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I believe the only problem is the looks ( in the eyes of some).

3. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

I honestly never paid any attention to it, until the guy brought it up. I guess it just isn't right to some, especially to the people doing that kind of traditional shooting. Thanks.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

no downside at all. the crossbolt is a great change. it allows very very safe means of lowering the hammer on a live round. it doesnt detract from anything in my opinion but im not a cowboy gun snob. i like it on my marlin 1895gbl

5. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

Ok. I figured it must just be taboo to the purists out there. You like what you like. It's a great gun, though. Thanks.

6. chewchew

chewchew New Member

The first thing I do to my 45-70 Marlin lever action in disconnect the safety. I don't need it hunting. This is a 45-70 Marlin with a Kahles scope and I've never had to follow the blood trail of a deer or bear.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      32.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

I know that's right. Anything you hit with one of these isn't going anywhere.