45-70 at 1000 yards?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ShagNasty1001, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Had a guy come into work earlier looking for a .308 just to compare saying he was building one, so we got to talking about actions and yada yada onward. Then he said he was wanting a 45-70 in a bolt gun to hunt hog and deer with in brush, okay cool so we started talking since he said it would only be a 100 yard rifle max. Then goes off to say he has some 45-90s and 120s along with a 45-70 that he shoots at 1000 yards with iron sights at a 1ft by 1ft steel target. Is it just me or is that entirely unrealistic to y'all as well?

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yeah I think he may have gotten the 1000 yards mixed up with 100 yards. I don't doubt the round since that is with it's range, I doubt the 1x1 with Iron Sights.

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

That's what I was thinking. Also he was saying that the 700 action and the van guard/Howa actions weren't that great. Thought that they were pretty good myself

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Did you ask him what he was smoking? Cause I would like some of that!

5. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

Unless he's Matthew Quigley (unlikely) I'm calling BS. I really like my Howa. I don't like remmys so much, but hard to argue that it ain't a good one. When as many custom gun guys use the 700 action as there are, kinda gotta give it to them.

Now, back to MW3...

:rolleyes:

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Those rounds could reach out to that distance, but not with that kind of accuracy, especially with iron sites. Hitting a 12"x12" target is extremely difficult (if not almost impossible) even with rounds like 7mm mag, 30-06, .338 Lapua, .300 win mag, and the big daddy of them all, the .50 BMG. And that is with a high powered scope! He probably just meant 100 yards.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont know about the 1'x1' target but there are groups out there that regularly shoot the 45-90,120 out to very long ranges. Interesting when you figure the mid range trajectory will be over 50'. Yes that is feet. If you have a known distance, you can lob a big bullet in there with good consistency.
    http://longrangebpcr.com/TCMatches.htm
    http://longrangebpcr.com/TCFacts.htm

8. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Yeah I'm in love with my Howa and my 700 .308 does just fine for what I need or for right now

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Agreed I know the distance is possible, but 1x1 from 1000 yards would look like a penny with iron sights. Picture shows a 1000 yard E target which is 40 inches tall with the scope at 14x.

Attached Files:

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When Carlos Hathcock won the Camp Peary International High Powered Championship, I do believe he managed to put 10 out of 10 in the bullseye at 1000 yards. That was a 10 inch bullseye, with a 300 Win. Mag. At 1000 yds, the front sight blade is considerably wider than a 12" target.

I would want to see pictures............:rolleyes:

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never shot at 1000 yards and dont know what the target size is but I do know that 1000 yard matches were held using 45 caliber black powder rifles. That is no small feat. I did post informational links in my previous post and the Creedmoor Matches are real history.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Shooter's view of 1,000 yard targets.

[​IMG]

The USAMU (U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit) 1K 6' target.

Iron sights on 1' steel at 1K yds.......I'm calling BS.

Can it be done? Sure, with a good understanding of long distance basketball shots. Other than novelty, WHY?

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Read here
    http://usarmorment.com/pdf/45-70.pdf

Hank Williams jr is a big time black pwoder shooter. He has a bunch of different large caliber BP rifles and a 900 yard half size buffalo 900 yards from his shooting shied. I read maybe 20 years ago in a shooting times mag will there shooting master of the day, Bob Mileck and there wifes shooting the buff every shot. Bobs wife had never done anything like that before.

BPCR has 200, 300, 400 out to 1000 yard matchs

Read up and learn some facs way they can do it and shoot rather tight groups. BP tends to burn with much low FPS veriations than smokeless powder and when bp cartidges rifles ,or old school muzzle loaders powder is measured and dropped they will shoot with single digit difference between rounds. Most modern smokless handlaods can not do that. Thats the main reason why the Bo rifles can lob heavy bullets in on target so well at very long distance.
    Now this 1'x1' target or group by what may be a novice. Not likely. But it could be done for sure.

15. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I've shot a 45-70 at a steel target at 1000 yards and hit it with iron sights. The target was roughly 4'x8'. Here out west it is fairly easy to shoot at very long range with most any gun and just walk your bullets up to the target(watch for the dust where it hits). The bigger the bullet the easier it is. Elmer Kieth said he shot a pistol at 600 yards and hit. It is surprisingly easy to do by the 4th or 5th shot or so. Note I think sometimes luck plays a role also

16. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I imagine out west it can be easily done but here in Oklahoma, it's hard to find 1000 yard areas to shoot (at least by where I'm at) and if you do, it's hilly

17. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Totally "[]realistic!"

He didn't say he was hitting the target, but that he simply "shoots at."

:p

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  18. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

It's very possible with the 45-70,90 or 120. Just have to know what you doing with holdover and also HAVE A SPOTTER, to let you know where you're hitting. There's a couple guys over on the Marlin Owners Group that have extended the 1000yds out to somewhere in the 1200-1500yds group with their lever actions. They do have special rear sights that adjust for distances. Like the old time flip up sights on military rifles. Their holdovers is somewhere in the 40 to 75 foot holdover. It's call LOBING, but to do it consistently, you do need to practice. The Military used to do this thing all the time, before computers/rangefinding compensation electronics came out. Heck, I'm sure we all did this at one time or another with our 22's at a rabbit or bird at that 150 or 200yd mark. I know, when it was safe to do so, I've taken chances to lob a bullet at a deer when I want some meat on the table, and that deer is further out than what I sighted the rifle in. Once in a while when all the planets align, you just might hit, but more often than not, it's usually a miss. The Marlin guys, do this just for fun and they do their own reloading of course. NOW, as to only being a 1x1 foot target, at 1000yds, you won't even be able to see it well with iron sights, unless it's painted phlorescent color, and still, your front sight will cover it. But it's possible.
    Del

19. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yep it has been said a couple times that the round is capable the issue is the 1x1 that nobody believes.