.44mag Lever Guns

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by aandabooks, Mar 26, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Been thinking about maybe buying a .44mag lever gun. I've looked at a Rossi silver finish for $560 and a Henry brass receiver Big Boy for $800.

The Henry was the nicer gun but I don't know about $240 worth of nice. Are there any more lever gun makers in .44mag/special and price points? I already reload for .44mag so I wouldn't be interested in another caliber.

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The discontinued Browning 92 .44 Mag. is great little rifle. They can be found on Gun Broker at times. Marlin offers a number of nice .44 Mags.:)

3. AR10

AR10 New Member

Another choice is a .44 Ranch Hand or Mare's Leg.

I want one because it is a hand gun, and that offers a unique side to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 10Ringer

10Ringer New Member

I've handled the Rossi ones several times. Definitely not a good buy IMO. It looked and felt cheaply put together. All the Henry rifles I've ever handled were really solid guns. I would get the Henry.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with Nitestalker on this one.

The Browning and Marlins are built on far better actions than the Henry. IMHO, Rossi firearms are.......well, let's just say that you couldn't give me one for free.

6. dogwalk

dogwalk New Member

44 Mag Carbine

Get the Marlin by all meens. I got mine last year and never regreted it. I used to have a 44 Mag revolver but at my age; my wrist is not as strong.
    Dogwalk

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Uberti makes 1873's in 44.

But they are more than the ones mentioned. Marlin would be my first choice and rossi or uberti. With the rossis its a crapshoot according to my research. If you get one that works good you win but your more likely to spend the difference between it and a uberti to make it run.

The henry are nice but its that damn tube feed mechanism that really sucks. Its a weakspot and a big one a very big one

I would go marlin.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Marlin 1894. I have been looking at the 1894C which is 357. The Marlin can be scoped or set up with a receiver sight. Already drilled and tapped. I passed up an 1894 44mag at the recent local gun show.

9. Wambli

Wambli Member

I have a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt and it's a very nice gun but I don't know that I would want one in .44 mag. For a high inttensity round I would want a Marlin. Had one for years and it was built like a tank. I would try to find an older one without the crossbolt safety.

10. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I picked up a Rossi 92 in 357. I had a marlin 1894 44 mag on order, but was told it was going to be 6-8 months before marlin would start production again. My LGS was able to order the 92 and had in in store within 3 days. I did some research before taking delivery and the fit and finish was pretty decent. Cycled the action a bunch and it functioned perfectly. The Rossi is rough around the edges, but half the fun is smoothing it out and making it run the way you want it to. I still want a marlin 44 mag though.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Books,

Marlin would be my choice! But I would try to find an older one!
    Never had a Henry! I have often though about looking to get one in the future. But I do know they are also made in the USA! And I would like to think from the TV specials I have seen about thier production they were of quality?

12. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

I would carefully handle that Henry before buying it, looking down the sights. You cannot get a great cheekweld on it. It is what they call "traditional" profile and it is awful. Scope it and it becomes a completely useless chin-weld.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Rossi 92 in .44 mag, 90-95 ish yards, in the hands of a 55 year old woman. One shot, on the run, among the horses...

Has already taken several deer over these recent years.

Ain't **** wrong with the Rossi. Unless you need something special to outshoot someone's Granny.

Attached Files:

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I still regret getting rid of my Marlin lever gun. It's a good round for that platform.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Another vote for Marlin.

Many of the other lever

guns have top ejectors,

which block a scope.

My Marlin .44 shoots

more accurately than I do.

16. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

It's not a lever action, but Ruger 77/44 is a slick bolt-action carbine in 44 rem mag. I'm giving it a real close look

17. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

+1. I'd love to have that or the one in 357 mag.

18. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I sent off for an action job kit for my Rossi 92 from Steve's Gunz.

http://www.stevesgunz.com

The kit consisted of a new magazine follower made of stainless, a new ejector spring and a DVD that walks you through the entire process of slicking up your Rossi 92, step by step.

The kit costs just under 60 bucks.

Tools required are a couple of screwdrivers, some tweezers, a paper-clip, a small hammer, some pliers and a bench grinder. Needle files or a moto-tool are needed for a few of the slicking-up operations. - I used both.

I found that a small flashlight was handy, but that might have been on account of my old eyes.

I went through the process, pausing the video at each step, and am gratified with the results. The gun is a LOT easier to load, doesn't launch the empties off into the unknown any more, feeds better and generally feels a lot slicker in its operation. - I can work the action with just my little finger.

I also ordered the peep-sight that replaces the safety that Rossi puts on the rear of the bolt, along with a stainless-looking dovetail blank to fit the dovetail where the old rear sight was mounted.

The peep sight is a major improvement, eliminating the onerous and unnecessary safety that Rossi puts there on the bolt.

I forgot to order plug screws for the barrel. There are four threaded holes under the leaf-type rear sight, apparently for a scout-type scope mount. I had some blued plug screws in the shop, but could have had stainless ones from Steve's Gunz if I had remembered to order them.

Anyway, I'd say I got my moneys worth. As it came, the Rossi was difficult to load, and had feeding problems... I had shaved off quite a bit of my thumb-nail, trying to load it. Now it works a lot better in general.

I'll stick my neck out here and recommend the kit and the peep-sight to anyone who is handy with tools and wants to smooth-up their Rossi 92.

If you are a gunsmith, this educational video will bring in the Cowboy action shooters for action jobs.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  19. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I bought the 1894 for this reason. It's side eject and comes drilled and tapped. Great deer gun when state law won't allow for rifle calibers.

Attached Files: