.44mag deer hunting

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by fupuk, Sep 13, 2013.

1. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im gonna be taking my 629 hunting this year but I am in need of sugestions for bullet type to use? HP or soft point or full lead, first time taking a handgun hunting just wondering what to use. I reload so I can get the accuracy down before hunting season. Thanks in advance.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Soft point or hardcast lead. Never hollowpoints for hunting. Especially for handguns. Hollow points are designed to stop inside the target. Hunting animals you want a hole going through both sides. Deer are pretty tough critters, thick hide big bones and lots of muscle in between.

Hollow points are barely adequate for most self defense purposes due to their very shallow penetration characteristics

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Agreed. I prefer Jacketed Soft Point.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'll back Jon up on this one. My brother took a deer with a .44 caliber. The deer was dropped by a spine hit but was dying slowly. He finished it off with 2 to the head.

5. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Any bullet suggestions? Im thinking 240gr unless another weight works better, but not sure on a particular brand of bullet. I know any bullet will kill. But I want the best odds that if placement is good, for a clean kill.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

NEVER use a hardcast for thin skinned game . Deer are thin skinned. A lung shot could allowa deer to run a 1/2 mile. Any 240gr hp , sp or mid hardness lead gas checked swc or swc-hp will do. Those that say they have thick skin and heavy bone have not hunted deer with handgun cartidges.

fupuk Deer are not tought thick skinned animals with massive bones. They are thin skinned and easy to kill. Most any 240gr hp or sp, work well. I like speer bonded gd and nosler and have experience with then . I have killed deer with a speer 170gr sp in a 357 on deer. IT WORKS WELL with pass thru shoots not a problem. On 44m mag just stay with a 240gr hp or sp and all will be fine. I have used a 240gr nosler soft point at 1498fps from a dw 8" revolver for a couple deer. One shot at all of 25 feet one at 75 yards. That was a front on shot. Penetration is not an issue and that bullet expansion was real good. It was a front to rear shot found after 40" of tissue and bone damage . Upsets well in deer yet can still punch on thru large deer. The other was a quatering to me. Bullet went thru the shoulder at the joint down and across the deer and out behind the off shoulder. Just make smart shots. You could buy a box of Remington express 44mag ammo and harvest deer at normal bow ranges. The bullets are more than needed just a little slow.

This is some info on the bullet I currently use and like. - The 240gr sp
    Note there loading info too. .http://www.nosler.com/sporting-handgun-revolver

You can not expect a deer to died from a spine shot quickly even from a larger magnum rifle shot. It blow about a 4" hole out of the spine of a big doe at 200 yards with a 7mm rem mag and it was still alive till I got to it. Hate it but it happens.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i strongly disagree with the above. hollow points are bad mojo on game animals.

deformation of the bullet is not needed for it to be effective. shot placement and penetration of the vitals is what is important.

in terms of handguns, even 44magnum, deer are thick skinned game. in terms of rifle powerd firearms they are thin skinned. this changes abit when that 44 round is coming out of a carbine like a ruger 44 carbine or similar 16"+ barrels.

with revolvers you shouldnt use bullets larger than 240 grains or issues with the bullet locking up the cylinder can occur due to excessive length.

8. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Why is it you want a hole in both sides? To help the animal bleed out? For a better blood trail to follow? Pass through is a waste of energy, that shouldve been put into the animal. Hydrostatic shock from the bullets energy transfered into the animal will kill quicker and more efficiently than bleed out.
    I have used 300g XTPs ahead of 17.5g of 2400 with the only issue of over penetration. You just cant stop it, so it wastes alot of its energy. I prefer the 185g XTP with a max charge. Usually still goes thru, but not always. But it has transfered nearly ALL its energy into the deer, completely disrupting and pulverizing its innards. They just flip over and lay there. Dead.
    Yes, its a hollowpoint, from a pistol. But the XTP is a well made bullet that stays together, and expands to nearly 3/4".
    The deer around here dont wear sheet metal, just a fairly light hide. Granted the bones arent exactly soft, but theyre no match for a .44 mag with even a decently constructed bullet.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Good luck to you in denying food to the bears!

In MS, the deer are not "thin skinned", not sure about your area's deer. These down here are leather-skinned, basically.

Most people I know here use soft points on the deer, but they are using rifles.

10. Shade

Shade New Member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Bingo!.......

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Really? You buy the hydrostatis shock theory with handguns? This does not occur until velocities exceed 2000 fps or so. Few handguns are capable of this.

Really, it depends on the deer. Texas deer are small and not very much resistance to bullets. Northern deer are MUCH bigger and require a diferent approach. W/o more info, a decent answer cannot be given

13. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im gonna guess average is around 120-160lbs. The part of the state im hunting in is only shotgun, bow, or cross bow, or handgun over .35cal with a straight wall case. Im not an archer, and really the only shotgun I have is my HD mossberg 500 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel. Or my dads old .410 and an older mossberg 500 that needs reapir. So its either my .44mag or my .357mag. My Gp100 is a 4in barrel and my 629 is an 8 1/4 inch barrel. So I was planning on taking my smith and wesson with me. Im not talking 100yard hunting, im thinking under 35yards if I can get one in that close.

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have taken a number of Mule Deer with a 240 Grs. bullet cast from WW metal and linotype. I have never had wounded deer to put down. The use of Hollow Points are not allowed in some states. Handguns fired at 50 yards will not usually expand a bullet that much. :)

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Given those parameters a good 240 gr HP or SP would suffice. Most .44 HP bullets have very shallow cavities and do not expand explosively. I do like good hard cast bullets, especially the WFN/LFN bullets from LBT. They punch non-repairable holes through deer from any angle.

Yes, two holes are better than one. Bleeding is maximized and humane kills are the norm.

16. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I use hornady leverevolution, but I use a .44 Ruger carbine. Does the job nicely.

17. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

YES. I do believe it happens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock

Human autopsy results have demonstrated brain hemorrhaging from fatal hits to the chest, including cases with handgun bullets.[4] Thirty-three cases of fatal penetrating chest wounds by a single bullet were selected from a much larger set by excluding all other traumatic factors, including past history

Duncan McPherson, a former member of the International Wound Ballistics Association and author of the book, Bullet Penetration, claimed that shock waves cannot result from bullet impacts with tissue.[18] In contrast, Brad Sturtevant, a leading researcher in shock wave physics at Caltech for many decades, found that shock waves can result from handgun bullet impacts in tissue.[27] Other sources indicate that ballistic impacts can create shock waves in tissue.[23][28][29]

Remote pressure wave effects in the spine and internal organs[edit source]

In a study of a handgun injury, Sturtevant found that pressure waves from a bullet impact in the torso can reach the spine and that a focusing effect from concave surfaces can concentrate the pressure wave on the spinal cord producing significant injury.

Ammunition selection for self-defense, military, and law enforcement[edit source]
    In self-defense, military, and law enforcement communities, opinions vary regarding the importance of remote wounding effects in ammunition design and selection. In his book on hostage rescuers, Leroy Thompson discusses the importance of hydrostatic shock in choosing a specific design of .357 Magnum and 9x19mm Parabellum bullets.[51] In Armed and Female, Paxton Quigley explains that hydrostatic shock is the real source of “stopping power.”[52] Jim Carmichael, who served as shooting editor for Outdoor Life magazine for 25 years, believes that hydrostatic shock is important to “a more immediate disabling effect” and is a key difference in the performance of .38 Special and .357 Magnum hollow point bullets.[53] In “The search for an effective police handgun,” Allen Bristow describes that police departments recognize the importance of hydrostatic shock when choosing ammunition.[54] A research group at West Point suggests handgun loads with at least 500 ft·lbf (680 J) of energy and 12 inches (300 mm) of penetration and recommends:[55]

Although faster bullets can get this Hydrostatic shock easier, slower bullets with wider bores and larger meplats can do this at slower levels of velocity.

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Until certain bench rest handgun hunters get some real world experience on THIN SKINNED DEER you have no idea what your talking about. Keep your shoots to normal bow ranges and the week factory loads from rem, win fed and hornady work well. If you feel you marksman enough to make a 100 yard shot + then load'um hot. 1500 fps is practical and works very nicely. A hp is fine for deer . Even a heavy soft lead bullet works wonders if gas check or partical jacked bullet designs likie jacked swc or swc-hp remingtons part jacked sp and hp work. Nosler pure lead jacked sp and hp work very well.

19. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im hoping to get a shot under 35 yards if I can get a clean shot.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Anna Purna works with wounded animals every day. She does have a lot of experience in that field. :)