.445 super magnum

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by primer1, Jul 24, 2013.

1. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

A guy asked me about finding some ammo for a Dan wesson he inherited. I guessed he would be better off finding some dies and components to try to reload. Then I thought about it some more, and asked if he really wanted more recoil than a .44 magnum. :eek:

Sooo, who has shot one or owns one? How punishing is the cartridge? Is it worth the investment for the dies? Is commercially made ammo still made in this thumper? I couldn't find any factory ammo on my phone.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

He needs to learn to load his own and that may involve starting with 445 starline brass. Its a large heavy revolver in the weight range of a X frame s&w and does not come into its own till the heavist load are used. It is not a hard revolver to shoot. Do to the weight its not bad at all. A 125gr load of 357 in a J frame would make his 445 seem like a model 10 with 38sp wad cutter loads.

I don't know if this company is still around or current but they did lot 445sm-http://blackdogammunition.com/Products.html

3. primer1

Ok, thanks. I know its not a popular caliber, but I knew somebody here had experience with it. I appreciate it.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Go over to the danwessonforum

5. crossfire

crossfire New Member

Handloading is the only way to go with any of the SuperMag cartridges. If you want a very soft "plinking" load, use a 240-250gr SWC and Trail Boss. AA-1680 is probably the preferred powder for full power loads. You can use .30-40 Krag and .303 British brass to make the .445 SM.

6. primer1

Thanks people for the good info.