.44 vs .357...which one

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by bostonscottkelly, Apr 18, 2013.

1. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

I do not have experience with either caliber.....looking to get a large caliber revolver with decent stopping power that would not be used for hunting ...which one would you recommend & why

2. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I like the .357 better. You can carry more ammo and shoot .38 sp in it. But good luck finding .357 ammo right now. :)

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

Have both, like both. As TL said, the .357's more versatile and, (marginally), cheaper to shoot. No offense, if you're a handgun novice, a .44mag's not a good place to start. MHO you understand.

4. cotex

cotex New Member

.44 only if you reload. Then it's not even a question. Took my fifteen year old daughter night shooting and target loads are ok but the look on her smile cracking face was awesome when the mag loads came out bigger boom bigger smile. You have to reload though, way to expensive to shoot.

Tex

5. bostonscottkelly

Thank you all.....I am a novice with these two calibers but own others ie. 9mm, 45 auto & .38.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If you are not looking for woods gun, I'd go with the 357. Medium to large frame, 4" or 5" barrel. That would give you pretty controllable package. For anything on two legs, a 357 is hard to beat.

Now if you want something for animals with claws and big nasty teeth, then get the 44.

Heck with it... just plan on getting both.

7. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

It would really help to know more of what you want out of this gun.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

either one is good, but both is better!:D

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As most others, you being new to the handgun. No doubt the 357 Mag would be by far the best choice!
    And as the others have said you can also shoot 38 Spl. rounds through it for target practice and other practice sessions like tactical self defense practice. Leaving your full blown defense rounds to a minimum of shooting for familiarization and knowing how the recoil feels and impact on the target. And certainly the difference in cost!

10. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

If you have a buddy with a .44 ask him for some range time with it before you make your decision.

11. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

If I understand your post right your not looking for a gun for hunting or woods protection. So I would suggest a 44 special. It makes bigger holes don't over penetrate and is horrible medicine on a human.The 357 is also a good choice but has a lot of muzzle flash and more of a tendacy to go through a human.
    Charter arms Bulldogs are great guns for concealed carry in 44 special.
    A 44 magnum is way to much over kill for humans and will go right through a man and other things behind him and is desighned for hunting big critters not self protection.
    How ever you can buy a short barrel 44 magnum and carry it and just shoot 44 special through it if you choose.
    If you decide to take trip into some where that may take you where something may want to eat you you have a gun you can load with 44 magnum.

12. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

I guess for home defense hell a 38 will do the job at the range you would be shooting and the 44 mag will have penetration that could kill the neighbor, along with the 357 , i myself prefer a shotgun with short barrel and pistol grip loaded with the frangible buckshot load,s ,will devastate flesh but just turns into powder on walls and brick.No concerns of bullet or shot going through neighbors kids bedroom.That alone could land you in prison as well, stick to something that is not magnum level for home defense over penetration is a real issue when ya standing in front of the district attorney,s office.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  13. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

Agreed 100% dont use magnum loads for home defense 44 special is a great old cartridge ,and those bulldogs are great little pistol,s.That will do the job .

14. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

.41 magnum, a happy medium.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I can afford to practice with my .357 (shooting .38). Without serious and constant practice, neither will do you any good.

16. bostonscottkelly

I am simply trying to diversify my collection....living in Boston suburbs I do not hunt much but want a revolver with solid knock down power.....of course, by knock down power, I am referring to anything that one would typically find threatening in the suburbs of any major city

17. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Well, after Monday we know you never know what to expect. We're all Bostonians today!

Ignore the "the DA will hang you" stuff all over the internet -- no-one ever has a single example to support their parroting. .357 is typically identified as a universal caliber to default to when you can have only one as it is so versatile.

Try looking at this and reading the whole thread as well as others if you do a search...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/best-shtf-pistol-64759/index2.html#post807199

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Here's another's perspective...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRnXOWBnCa4[/ame]

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're looking for a defensive weapon, a good high capacity 9MM would be even better.

20. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I like the .357 My Taurus Tracker is a *****cat to shoot with .38's and very manageable with hot .357's. The weight and porting help a lot. Not to get off the beaten path here but that little Ruger Single six there will digest that whole .22 line up you see there (from shorts to Magnums). :D I like versatile guns. I have been flirting with the idea of getting a .327... Lots of .32 options there so I've seen

Attached Files: