.44 spl and .44 mag ammo in my 29

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by powg, Dec 16, 2010.

1. powg

powg New Member

i love my .mod 29 ....had visions of plinking with the .44spls.....ive looked in several stores ...bass pro ,academy ,etc ...have i missed something ? the .44 spls were about the same price as the magnums .. i dont reload so im just going to shoot the magnums in it ...makes for better proficiency... souped -up anyway doesnt it?

2. powg

powg New Member

wrong room ....

wrong room ,but the same goes for using the dual .44s in rifles

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Moved it for ya' powg.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've been trying to find 44 special brass for some time now but all the cowboy action guys have snatched it up and what is for sale isn't cheap. The loaded ammo is the same way.
    I've recently caught the 44 mag bug and there is nothing cheap about shooting them, even if you reload.

5. powg

powg New Member

thank you cv357

i thank you for moving it ...like frank gifford ....just went in wrong room ..lol question ...i get tanstaafl.....whats with the other ? moa-aab'e. im a biker also ...we like dilligaf...thanks again

6. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

Cheapest .44 mag ammo I have found is Magtech -- seems decent and ~ $35 a box of 50.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Star Line generally has 44 spl brass available. Most Spl ammo is loaded for SASS shooters. It is hard to find general purlose plinking stuff. You need to reload and cast your own bullets to make it affordable.

I cast a 240 gr SWC relatively soft for the special and go 50/50 Linotype/wheelweight with a gas check for the hot Magnums. Same mould works for both.

8. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

I've noticed that for perhaps the last 5 or 6 years 44spl has been a real hard find. As to cost, the components are virtually the same so the cost will be close to the same with demand tipping the scales. You may want to try reloading to save money and create a power level you are comfortable with.

9. spittinfire

Robo, check your inbox.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i highly recomend taking up re-loading. i load my 357 mag cases on occasion using max 38 spl data. works really well. opens up a much wider selection of bullets. when you try self loaded wadcutters you will be amazed at why you didnt start loading sooner :)

11. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

44 Spl ammo

Have You checked Milwall Corp, Auburn, CA or Cheaper than dirt.com?

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Powg, I kinda has the same thought when I first got into .44 mags. You think this way because of the .357/.38 special trend that we've all enjoyed and become accostumed to. Plus I can see in owning a Model 29, wanting to preserve the beauty/condition as long as possible. I know I would.

For that reason spending the same on .44 special loads as you would magnums, is of no loss to you, even though it seems that way. A good way split it is too "warm up" with a box of specials (target practice), then switch to magnums for the rest of the session. Like you said that would certainly maintain your profiency in recoil management as well as accuracy.

.44 magnum cartridges can be found for $26-$28/50 rd box. I never s[end over $30. Just be patient and wait for a good deal. MidwayUSA, Sportsman's Guide, Ammo to Go and some others are the better ones.

Have fun!

13. powg

powg New Member

reloading ....

ive got a lot of irons in the fire right now ...someday i will reload ..what im gonna do is #1 have a secure little out building dedicated strictly for reloading and gun type stuff ....no extraneous storage of other stuff ...which means junk

14. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

I've not seen this -- please flag it for us when it happens again. I've never see shipped prices < $35 a box.

15. spittinfire

Cheapest I can find is WWB at wally world for $32/50. I can find them cheaper online but when you add shipping you spend more.

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

17. spittinfire

Thats 357 there, diggs.

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Scroll down brother, there's about 20 different loading to chose from. .44mag being one.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  19. spittinfire