.44 Special Load in a .44 Magnum case?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by aandabooks, Mar 16, 2014.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Would this be a problem if I move to a LPP in the magnum case? I am flush with magnum cases but lacking in the specials. Can't seem to find any .44 Special brass and want to make up some more light loads for plinking. I'm down to my last 200 cases.

2. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I use 44 mag brass, 8.5 gns Unique , CCI 300 primers and a 200 gn lead bullet for plinking.

3. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Should not be a problem if you load the magnum case with a .44 spec loading Don't know if you are a Dirty Harry fan, but one of his movies he says he loads his cartridges down. You may find that your .44 special cartridge will leave a burnt powder ring that may make it hard to load the longer magnum cases unless you get in there with a brush first and clean it out. Have fun

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The larger case volume with small powder charge can lead to even lower pressures, and less reliable/consistent ignition. So you may still have to use a little more powder to get the same performance that you would get out if the special cases.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

shouldnt be a problem long as your using mid to upper range 44 special.

there is a excellent powder called trailboss designed specifically for large cases and lighter loads. i use it to produce very soft shooting 45colt loads for CAS without small charge weight issues.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Titegroup is an excellent powder for this. I use 44 special loads in 44 mag cases all the time. I use magnum primers in everything. Titegroup is designed to be used in large volume cases with a small charge. It is not position sensitive. That is to say that it doesn't matter whether the powder is up against the primer or the bullet. It will be consistent either way.

I do not use starting loads in mag cases. I use max 44 special loads in the magnum cases. Or a little less than max.

7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've been using AA#5. I don't have my load data in front of me but I know it is not a lot of powder to make my 180gr loads. They are very soft shooting out of my Taurus 8 3/8" .44. I don't want to end up with a volume detination problem.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Some have reported dangerous over pressures from extremely light charges. Most smokeless powders like to burn progressively from the primer to the bullet. Very smal charges of fast burning powders like Bullseye will lay along the side of the case and the flash from the primer will set the entire charge off in an instant. This can do strange things to the pressures.

Use "start" loads for the Magnum and you should get a light recoiling load that is still safe.

9. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I have been loading mag brass to spl specs for many many years without a single problem. I use Tightgroup for a standard spl load, not light. I use lead for spl and JHP for mag. I use Tightgroup for mags too, gotta lot of it, but I am liking 296 better.

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

If the powder charge is really small I have used polyester to hold the powder in the bottom of the case near the primer. I don't know if its necessary but it didn't hurt anything either. Just don't over do it be cause the polyester becomes part of the ejecta. Just a pinch.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I much prefer to use the special cases.

If loading .38s for a ,357, I will use .38 cases with a +P powder charge. for .44s, I use a .44 special and book max charge.

12. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I have a pre model 19 and a load of spl brass. That's a good idea Locutus.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

IMPORTANT- for a light 44 Magnum load, that may FEEL like a .44 Special- use the lightest load shown in your manual for 44 Magnum- BUT NO LIGHTER.

There have been several reported "events" where a very light load in a very large case has outright destroyed a handgun. ONE theory is that when in firing position, the powder is lying along the bottom wall of the case, below the level of the primer. On firing, the flash from the primer lights ALL the spread-out powder at once- spiking pressures.

Go with the starting load, but not below it.

Some will argue that it is not unsafe, and you could never blow up a handgun like that. And Clint Eastwood asked "Do you feel lucky? Well..... do ya?"