.44 Magnum vs .44 Bulldog

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Uptown_General_Roc, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Uptown_General_Roc

Uptown_General_Roc New Member

What's the difference between the .44 Magnum & .44 Bulldog recoil?

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I thought the bulldog was a Charter Arms revolver.

3. Uptown_General_Roc

Uptown_General_Roc New Member

I'm not really sure about revolves period

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

The bulldog is a revolver built by Charter Arms. Its chambered in .44 special or .357 magnum

5. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

When I had my .44 Sp.l Charter Bulldog It was a fun shooting revolver and I enjoyed it a lot, but I don't know if I trust the new charters. Not as much recoil as the .44Mag but a good stopper on par with the .45 auto.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Charter Bull Dog .44 Special would be like a pat on the hand. The .44 Magnum full house 300 grs. loads is like smashing your hand with a claw hammer. ;):D

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Yeah, there's a noticeable recoil difference.

Dang thread got me thinking there might be a bullet I had no thread of.

8. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Charter Bulldog revolvers are chambered for .44 Special and does NOT fire .44 Magnum. Most shooters like the lighter load in the small, lightweight revolver and its plenty for self-defense. You could purchase a snubby on .44 Magnum by several manufacturers, and anything chambered in .44 Magnum will fire both cartridges, .44 Magnum and .44 Special, so you can decide which you like better. Just be careful, as Magnum revolvers are typically heavier to carry.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

10. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Recoil is an odd phenomenon. Depending on the design of the gun, grips, and ammunition. A hot loaded .44 Special in a light revolver, such as the Bulldog, with rubber grips, will beat you hand to a pulp after a box of cartridges. At the same time, a .44 Magnum, with moderate loads, in a heavy magnum revolver, with well made wood or ivory grips, is a pleasant afternoon of shooting.

Even put the Magnum stuff in a Ruger Super Blackhawk and even the heavy .45 Colt loads are pleasant shooting.

It all depends on how sensitive the shooter is to recoil, the gun and the ammunition.

Bob Wright

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Pretty true...I have a Super Redhawk with the 9.5 bbl and with a full house load it still gets your attention but it's not as bad as the 7" I had before and mush different then the snubby before that.

12. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

To get a good appreciation of recoil in a revolver, get a supply of cartridges, say .44 Special, loaded to with a 240 gr. SWC at around 950 fps. Shoot these in a Charter Bulldog and a Smith & Wesson Model 29. You will perceive a great difference, the guns making the difference.

Bob Wright

13. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I'd have to ask the purpose...concealed carry or bear defense...
    if its bear defense, get something that'll handle Magnum loads...

.44spl is very effective for bad-guy removal...
    without making you quite as deaf & blind as the magnum rounds would in a dark alley or building...

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree that the pistol makes a lot of difference when shooting 44 Magnum loads.

a 44 Magnum has some healthy recoil nad if not careful will part you scalp! been many a person have the hammer lay open the scalp by trying shoot a 44 Magnum like Dirty Harry. 44 Spl. is much tamer and a little easier to handle.