.44 Magnum - Do They??

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Dillinger, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So, I got into a discussion with a co-worker about Guncrafter Industries and their .50 Cal 1911 model. We were discussing the effectiveness of such a pistol, it's application actually, and the idea of a hip gun came into play.

Not ever for carry, but for a tactical thigh rig for knock down and out power of a LIGHT body armor wearing/Heavily, multi-layered clothing attacker. Which lead into a discussion about the .44 Magnum round because we both love the cartridge.

I was sure Guncrafter used to make a 1911 in .44 Magnum, but it would appear I was mistaken.

So I am asking my other forum members. In your travels through life, or the Internetz, has anyone come across a 1911 custom that was built for the .44 Magnum round?

And at the start, let me preface this that we are NOT looking for the Desert Eagle version - it has to be a 1911.

Thanks,

JD

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Maybe THAT's who I was thinking of instead of G.I. -

Thanks Cane...

JD

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

4. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

The LAR Grizzlies are the king of the 1911s.

[​IMG]

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Personally I still think Nighthawk holds that title, but that is because I already own 3. :D

So, apparently no one is making a .44 Magnum 1911 these days. LAR is no longer making them.

Widley is making a .44 Magnum, but it's anything but what I would call a "simple" design and system...

And that is about it.

I have an old Kimber that is in the safe and not doing anything. That .460 Rowland drop in looks interesting, I might have to do some poking around on that cartridge and see what the consensus is....:rolleyes: Could be a new project for me for the summer months....

JD

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Clark Custom in Princeton, Louisiana, puts out some nice stuff!

[​IMG]

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/meltdown.htm

460 Rowland Kit $ 295

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    45 vs 460 both can be fired through this kit.

JD time to start a "460 Rowland Project" thread.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Don't tempt me, I am SERIOUSLY considering it... LOL

JD

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Push push....

Tests show that a 230 grain .460 round reaches a velocity of 1340 fps w/917 lbs/feet in energy, while a standard 240 grain .44 Remington Magnum round reaches a velocity of only 1180 fps w/741 lbs/feet in energy. :p

Push push....

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Damn it, I KNOW!! I have been reading ALL about it and now I am considering redirecting the proceeds from my recent knife sale towards this new .460 drop in barrel platform and sending the whole thing off to Robar for an NP3, or similiar, coating....

*shaking head sadly* Why, oh why did I even open this can of worms? LOL

JD

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

See how well this forum helps those in need of direction? :p ;) :D

[​IMG] Respect our authooratee!

11. matt g

I wonder if I could get a 4" Kimber style bull barrel in .460. I've got to admit, I'm intrigued by the .460's numbers as well.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I know dude - and I have that Kimber Target II just sitting there in the safe doing nothing since the 'Hawks moved in. I just sold that Saevus blade to a collector for $350, so there is the conversion kit. I would just need to ship it off to Robar for a strip and refinish, then get some ammo, so I could have a WHOLE NEW GUN for under $500 out of pocket...... Damn it! :cool::rolleyes:

JD

13. matt g

Here's my problem though:

[​IMG]

That's the best that Google will give me.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's the CDP isn't it? I had the same bushingless bull barrel in my Raptor II.

Yeah, that won't work bro, you need a barrel bushing, and a standard barrel to get the conversion kit to work....

JD

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  15. matt g

****ty. I'd bet that the .45 ACP barrel could be CNCed out to .460 specs. Any idea on the chamber/bore/rifling specs on the .460?

The owner of the last company that I worked for before I started my current job, absolutely loves me and would have no problem writing a CNC program for me and running it on a piece of metal. Hell, if it made him money, he might even cut me in on the racket.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No idea, I just started researching this today. It appears to be a heavily compensated barrel to counter act the gas pressure, or perhaps the recoil on a smaller framed ( 1911 versus a heavy framed revolver ) pistol. If that is the case, going even shorter on barrel length could result in some serious back pressures.

Sooooooo, Robar would coat my Kimber inside and out for $285.....:rolleyes::p

JD

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Push
    Push
    New thread!
    Push
    Push

18. matt g

I'm actually considering talking to my old boss. I wonder if I could push enough units per year to make it worth the hassle of getting all of the specs together on the Kimber 3" and 4" bull barrels.

This is a .308 Win muzzle break that eliminates 100% of muzzle climb and up to 40% of felt recoil in the intended platform. You guys think that this would be too unwieldy on the front end of a short barreled Kimber 1911, if it were modified to do away with the bull barrel design and instead attach in a manner that replaced the bushing?

[​IMG]

I can get the proper steel for dirt cheap and and have the correct post treatment done for damn near nothing.

I may be onto something that would net me more than a few hundred bucks per year at least. If one of you homos steals my idea, I'll come break your fingers. :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009