44 Mag?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Rick1967, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I got my check for my pickup being totalled. Obviously, I have to go out and buy a new 44 mag to go with all the reloading stuff I got at a yard sale. Any Suggestions? I want to get a 4 inch. And stay under a grand.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Ruger Redhawk or a S&W Mpdel 29/629. You can't go wrong with either. I think the redhawk can be had in 4 inch, but I'm not certain. If you don't mind used, look for a S&W model 29/629. I prefer the action on the Smith over the Redhawk. Of course, if you run out of ammunition, you can beat a bear senseless with a Redhawk.

You can buy a new S&W 4" Mountain Gun Classic for your price range as well. I don't know if you care about the internal lock or not. The Mountain Gun is a sweet revolver. ;)

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Got an extra set of 44 dies? I'm trying to feed my 629...pricey!

I'll echo CA357 here but I'm partial to S&W revolvers, especially the older ones. If I were you, I'd be looking for a 29/629, a Black/Redhawk would be a close second. Nothing wrong with the Rugers, I just have a thing for the Smiths and their sweet triggers.

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

S&W 629 Mountain

Speaking of the 629, here's mine! I call her BEAR MEDICINE because I bought her after a female black w/two cub's cause me to nearly SHAT myself while fishing YAKITAT Alaska years back with my dad.

She's got the internal lock which I'm not fond of but in 6 years I've never had a problem with it. I paid around $700 back in 04. They have increased some but I'm sure you could still get one within your budget. I like the Redhawk too but I looked at just about every 44 Mag on the market before buying the Smith and I don't think anyones DA trigger pull compares to the Smith 29/629.

Good Luck.

Attached Files:

5. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

Redhawk makes a nice 4" model.

6. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I'm the same way and I think many of shooters are. . . The Smiths have the cosmetic beauty and smoother action in conjunction with a special charm that cannot be explained, but that charm (and beauty :)) usually results in a little more "gentle care" taken by the shooter, to say the least.

The Rugers, on the other hand, can be hauled in the truck, through the woods, desert and to the range during inclement weather times and other "rougher" situations with out that guilty nagging feeling that results from using (and wanting to) your tool, but also caring for the preservation and condition of it.

You can't go wrong with either. (but don't go anywhere else :eek:) Both Smith and Ruger make outstanding revolvers and you will know which will currently serve your needs. . . Then as soon as you wreck another pickup. . . get the other one! ! ! ;)

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I feel inspired to crash!! :D

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

FWIW, I had a S&W model 29 Mountain Gun "Classic" with the 4" barrel it was a new model with the internal lock. It was fine, but I sold it because of a cash crunch. I also had a model 629. (I can't remember the dash number) It was an older model with a 6.5" factory ported barrel. It was by far one of my favorite revolvers ever and I miss it badly.

9. russ

russ New Member

Go see Jimmy at A Pawn for either. I'm a Ruger fan myself, but that's mostly because of the $$$ issue, I'm a bit of a cheapskate. I'd buy the Ruger, spend $12 on a Wolff spring kit, and spend some time with a fine grit stone.

[​IMG]

10. Jynx

Jynx New Member

I have to run with the Ruger crowd here. The Redhawk .44 mag is the only revolver that ever scared the sh*t outta me when I fired it.

11. Viking

Viking Active Member

Ruger, built like a tank, super strong frame and extra thick cylinder walls make for a heavy weapon but it does a great job on soaking up recoil. If could only own one weapon it would be my 7 1/2" stainless steel Redhawk. It's paid for itself with venison in the freezer over the many years I've owned it. It's as tight now as when I bought it close to thirty years ago.

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Like they said, you can't go wrong with either the Ruger or the S&W. To those that thinks a S&W's DOUBLE action pull is lighter/smoother I say this-you've never felt a Redhawk's double action trigger pull after a Wolff spring kit & polish. By design it's almost impossible for the S&W's (tuned or otherwise) double action pull to be as light as a tuned Redhawk pull. My Redhawk has a DA pull of less than 6 pounds, and closer to 5.5. Naturally S&W beats the Redhawk in SINGLE action pull.

You COULD get a S&W model 329 if you want a REALLY light (physical weight) .44. The recoil is brutal however with "full house" loads even by my standards.

13. Rick1967

A trip to Jimmy's place is definately in order. I am leaning toward the Redhawk. I will see what he has. He will probably be at least $100 below retail value on a new one.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Smith is a "nicer" gun. The Ruger is larger and the cylinder is longer. If you are goinig to stay in the 180-240 gr bullet weight range the Smith is fine. If you want to go heavy (300+ gr bullets) the Ruger is the only way to go. You can fit more powder in the case and load the bullets long to work in the Ruger.

I had a Superblackhawk 7 1/2" that shot the 300's very well (pie plate at 100yards). I currently have a 6" blue 29 and a 4" stainless 629. For what I need, they work well and look beautiful.

15. Rick1967

I am a handloader. I will start out light. But I like the ability to get nasty later. I am not recoil sensitive. Going to have to go with the Ruger. I don't even mind cleaning a little lead out of the barrel. The thrill is sooo worth it!

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Hey Robo, why go to a 300gr and not reach for a 460? Just sayin...

17. russ

russ New Member

My last purchase at Jimmy's was my 6" stainless GP100. Ruger's website lists it at $701.00, I paid $467.86, over $230 off MSRP. You gotta love that.:D

18. freefall

freefall New Member

I have a Ruger Bisely cut to 5", it's sweet. But I'm a dinosaur. I think it's lighter that either the Smith or Redhawk.

19. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

Will this work for you? If so, PM me.

Hornady Seat Die #3 (.430) 44 CAL1 copy.jpg

20. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

I sent you a PM reply. I don't know if you got it. I have 44 Auto 3 die Hornady sets and some Lee. If you did not get my PM please send me another. I think my reply deleted when trying to attach an image to the PM.