.44 mag handguns??

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Kwaynebb, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Kwaynebb

Kwaynebb New Member

Looking for a quick answer here. My brother in law asked me if there were any .44 magnum semi autos out there because he would like to carry one when hunting but wanted more than six shots for protection against the big bad hogs. I told him to practice. One precise shot is usually better than the spray and pray. The only one I know of was the Desert Eagle, but I figure if there were more yall could help out. I have searched on the web and did not find any so Im hoping that maybe I was not terribly wrong with my answer. Thank you.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Im like you, the only .44 semi auto platform i have seen is the desert eagle.. Ive actually shot one and its a beast, and heavy as hell. They wouldnt make a good carry gun to say the least. Tht would b pretty awesome if there was a 1911 .44 magnum

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Like previously said Grizzly and some other make 1911 formats in .44 magnum. Has he considered a 10mm?

5. Kwaynebb

Kwaynebb New Member

No that would be a good choice and I myself have considered the 10mm, but he thinks he is an old west type and does not understand these new pointless automatic handguns but if he gets one and keeps it .44 mag then he is not straying too far from his "roots". Even though the idea semi autos have been around since the late 19th century and he is only 25 and wears billabong and plays xbox more than anyone i know. sorry he really gets on my nerves with his im an old school kinda guy crap dirty harry wannabe. thanks for the info guys and i will pass it along to him.

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I would b willing to bet tht he also owns Red Dead Redemption for Xbox360 doesnt he? Lol

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I think the best options are these:

44mag or 454cas revolver
    460 Rowland semi-auto 1911
    or a hot-loaded 10mm semi-auto

8. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

The Desert Eagle used to be offered in .357 mag, .44 mag and .50 AE. I thought the magazine capacity was six on the bigger rounds for the DE (?)

If he wants more rounds and power, he could get a Para 1445 which carries 14 rounds of .45 and load it with the hot defense loads that go to about 550 ft-pounds muzzle energy.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

He would be better of carrying a revolver in .44 magnum rather than a semi automatic in .44 magnum. I would strongly recommend that he bases his decision regarding firearms on real life and not movies/video games.

10. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

I agree. I own plenty of autos to shoot in competition, but any gun I bet my life on has a wheel where the bullets go.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Strong dose of reality, with a side order of humble, please.

IMHO, a good 44 mag for self defense concealed carry is right up there with unicorns, dehydrated water, and honest politicians. Ain't no such thing.

The recoil, muzzle flash, size, and weight move it out of the realm of possible- even Dirty Harry did not REALLY carry a .44 magnum. (They used a .41 Mag in the first movie)

12. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

If he wants an auto with capacity, by far his best bet will be a G20 (10mm) with a longslide barrel. Sixteen runds of some 180gr hardcast bullets at 1400fps (pushing the absolute limits) should get him where he wants.

But, otherwise a Deagle is probably the most common choice. The fixed barrel makes them about as accurate as revolvers as well.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I did see (and drool over) that somebody was selling one of the Smith & Wesson 1006 semiauto, old-school 10mm's on one of the forums the other day, $750ish IIRC (maybe TFL?). Maybe that would have enough old-school charm for him.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

How about a auto-revolver in .44 Mag?

The Mateba Model 6 Unica chambered in .44 Mag;

Attached Files:

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

17. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

They make 44 mag deringers, hell, they make 45/70 derringers!

What's the low end ballistics of 44 mag, 800-1000 ft lbs?? You can get a double stack 10mm pushing 800 with Buffalo Bore, or a double stack 460 Rowland reaching 1000!!!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  18. SapperLeader

SapperLeader New Member

Sir, the Grizzly everyone is mentioning came in .45 Win.Mag, and a few smaller ones, but the .44 was a very limited production run. Neither will be easy to find, but the .45 undoubtably the easier of the two. It was produced by Magnum Research. It may have to be a Desert Eagle or nuthin. If he insists on a largebore autoloader, tell him to look for one of these. Big, yes, but much more packable than the Desert Eagle. FYI, if he can find one be sure he is aware that it is stated in the owners manual that the guide rod WILL wear out due to the intensity of the cartridge. Similiar to the issues with the first production Colt Delta Elites in 10mm. Thats why I sold mine. Thats the ONLY reason I sold mine. Look for spares while searching for the pistol. Being a 1911, this one should satisfy his "old school" requirements also! Good luck. Oh by the way, Firearms4ever has an excellent point. Real life, not movies, and games related decision making criteria will greatly improve not only his success, but satisfaction as well.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011