Featured 44 Caliber Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Steve Myo, Nov 20, 2020 at 6:36 PM.

1. Steve Myo

Steve Myo New Member

Good Evening What is out there for a 44 magnum caliber rifle? Looking for something light weight and of course reliable.

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Steve,
    If you want one of the best out there. And Great Quality look at HENRY!
    When you get one that is a life long rifle! IMO their value will continue to rise. The Rifles and their parts are all made by Henry in the USA.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    Steve Myo, SRK97 and primer1 like this.

3. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Marlin 1894 has a good reputation and should be good for the future with Ruger recently acquiring Marlin. The Ruger 77-44 is a quality bolt action .44 mag.

Steve Myo and Sierra 173 like this.
  4. Steve Myo

Steve Myo New Member

I have a Henry 22 cal. Very well made. A lot more money than I want to spend. I have been looking for a used one, very hard to find.

Sniper03 likes this.
  5. Steve Myo

Steve Myo New Member

Didn’t know so many were out there. Thanks

AgedWarrior likes this.
  6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Winchester 92 if you can find one. (Browning is the same rifle)

Marlin is excellent as well.

Steve Myo and AgedWarrior like this.
  7. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I have two Marlin 1894s in .44 mag. Mounted Williams received sights on them, find them thoroughly gruntling.
    But I just got a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt, and that's a lot comfortabler in hand.

Steve Myo likes this.
  8. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I had a Win. 94 in. 44 mag. took it out for deer on a rainy day because my 30-06 had a scope on it. I was on a hillside just below a beech ridge and I could hear them coming a minute before I saw them! Five deer and bringing up the rear was the buck of a lifetime! They are going to pass 25/30 yards in front of me and I have cover behind a large tree, I cock the hammer, shoulder the rifle and there he is right in front of me! I can't miss he's that close, I pull the trigger and nothing!! Check cock pull trigger nothing!!!! Hammer is still at full cock and trigger does nothing!

When I got back home took the gun apart and found that the rain had swelled the stock enough to put pressure on the hammer and keep it from falling, one minute with a wood rasp and all better! Traded it the very next day and regretted it ever since.

MisterMcCool and SRK97 like this.
  9. Sierra 173

Sierra 173 Active Member

I have .44 magnum Marlin and I love it. They're thin and easy to maneuver with in and out of a vehicle. They have plenty of punch and they hit things like steel targets with a real wallop. They're very accurate for most close quarter shooting needs like down a hallway or around a house.

Steve Myo likes this.
  10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

If price is an issue, try to find a used single shot. Freefall mentioned Rossi as an example. I've shot one with a scope and wasn't particularly impressed, 2 inch groups at 30 yards was consistent but blah on an accuracy scale.

All firearms and ammunition are in greater demand than a year ago. It's the classic economic theory of supply & demand. Demand has gone up, supply has gone down, prices have increased.

Steve Myo and tac foley like this.
  11. Steve Myo

Steve Myo New Member

That sucks

12. Steve Myo

Steve Myo New Member

Good Morning I don’t mind spending $500. to $600.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Good luck finding a new lever action 44 mag right now. Best bet is an lgs that has one in stock and prepare for sticker shock. Look for used but watch out for Remlins. When Remington took over Marlin the quality took a dive until they learned how to make them. Ruger just bought Marlin specifically for the lever guns. Cheapest new rifles will be Rossi 92 copy of the Winchester 92. If a single shot works for you then check out Traditions, CVA and Henry. The link below will give you and idea about prices.
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/single-shot-rifles-for-sale

Steve Myo likes this.
  14. Steve Myo

Steve Myo New Member

Thanks, I prefer not using a single shot due to my disability. Thanks for the info about Remington. Like the Ruger 44 carbine, it took years to get it right and when they get it right they stop producing them. I hate it when they do that.

15. Poppy1

Poppy1 New Member

I have a JM stamped Marlin 44 magnum. Shoots great and handles well.

Steve Myo likes this.
  16. Sniper03

Steve

I will also agree the older Marlins in 44 Mag would be fine guns. I have a Model 36 C in 30-30 made back in the 70s which is a fine gun. Found it online for $350. I wanted an older one! Better wood and all!:)
    So one in 44 Mag would be a good find for the money.

Steve Myo likes this.
  17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Check Armslist or find a gun show for local buys, but as with buying any used gun, buyer beware. Do your homework.

In Ohio, any deer legal gun is in high demand right now as the season is close. After the season, more are readily available.

Steve Myo likes this.
  18. Sniper03

Primer is correct.

I had them send detailed pictures of my Model 36C before I bought it.
    Both shots of the entire exterior and also a shot of the bolt open, so I could see the interior of the chamber. And they did! Obviously since the 70s it had been shot but not much at all. Probably was more of a Safe Queen as a lot of them are. And some were bought with the intention of doing some hunting or shooting and never did. So they are like new as mine was. So as Primer mentioned look around! And you can always have a local FFL Dealer do a transfer for you if you find a "good one" on line!:)

Steve Myo likes this.
  19. Steve Myo

Steve Myo New Member

I had a 444 marlin years ago. I should have kept it.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

444 and 45-70 are probably easier to find than 44 magnum.