42 years ago today

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by canebrake, May 4, 2012.

1. canebrake

canebrake New Member

42 years, WOW how time flies!

I was on patrol when we got word of the Kent State shooting.

How many of you remember this?

[​IMG]

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
    We're finally on our own.
    This summer I hear the drumming,
    Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
    Soldiers are gunning us down
    Should have been done long ago.
    What if you knew her
    And found her dead on the ground
    How can you run when you know?​

[​IMG]

Gotta get down to it
    Soldiers are gunning us down
    Should have been done long ago.
    What if you knew her
    And found her dead on the ground
    How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
    We're finally on our own.
    This summer I hear the drumming,
    Four dead in Ohio.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It happened during the last year I was in the service. If it had happened one year later in the spring of '71, I may have been there!

2. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

"Tin soldies and Nixxon coming ..."

Great song.

The issue of firing on civilians then became a hot topic at military academies and schools across the nation for the training of officers.

The commanders and instructors would ask you, whether you would fire on American civilians or not? Most cadets and officer candidates would be baffled by the question, in that it is something they would have never considered.

You join up to go overseas and shoot over there.

Last edited: May 4, 2012

3. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

I wasn't born then and therefore never heard of it, truly disgusting and all the men who followed their orders ought to be ashamed of themselves. Shooting on unarmed civilians that are making use of their first amendment, magnificent. Unless I'm missing something and it was some sort of violent protest, feel free to inform me.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

What a pathetically stupid moment in U.S. history, very sad.

5. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Ok I'm reading contradicting information all over the internet, some sources are saying they started shooting at a distance of more than 300ft, and other sources are saying that protesters were about to attack the guards.

6. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I remember it well. Sad time for our country. Kinda reminds you of what is happening elsewhere now.

Jim......

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity...
    Col Jeff Cooper

This was 2 years before my birth. I do remember one of my DI's at Benning talking about this and thoroughly disapproved of the "Nasty Girls", "National Guard" troops who fired.

Tack

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  8. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I remembered Kent State quite well. The girl in the picture's last name is Vericchio. I forgot her first name. I was standing at the theatre waiting to purchase tickets for the Woodstock 69 film festival in NYC when it happened. Four students shot dead. Neither of which were protesting but were on their way to classes. One of them was a ROTC student. Horrible moment in our history.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  9. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I was 8 years old and even then was a news hound. I really didn't get the perspective of what truly happened until years later. It was a bad day in our national history.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

http://www.startribune.com/nation/150168315.html

http://www.alternet.org/story/15527...ll_street_lead_to_another_kent_state_massacre

11. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

Those were fuzzy days back then. I don't remember if I remember that day or not.

12. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

42 years ago

Remember it well. I was stationed at Naval Air Station New Orleans. I had received word that I was going to be shipped out to Washington, DC. Then while walking back to the flight line, I was told that some protesting kids had gotten shot by the National Guard.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Funny- exactly what I WAS doing at the time.

There is enough blame to go around for everybody involved- The National Guard, elected officials, civil law enforcement, AND the students involved. You will get a totally different viewpoint from each person you talk with about this.

A rather decently researched bit on this is here:http://dept.kent.edu/sociology/lewis/LEWIHEN.htm

From a purely personal point of view- having been the guy in charge of the folks in green shirts and pants- unless we were receiving fire from several guns- in a platoon, there will be at MOST two people with loaded firearms. That is my designated marksman, and his backup. They will be under my direct and personal control, carefully chosen, reliable and steady. If I find someone with a firearm that is putting the lives of my soldiers in jeopardy, it would be a matter of saying "Kelly- 10 O'Clock, 200 meters, red jacket and hat- shoot him." But volley fire into a crowd? No.

That tactical handling of the protesters was not planned well- or at all. You must have a place you want to move or disperse them TO- and they must have a route(s) to leave. Trap them in an area physically- walls, fences, streams- where do you THINK they will go?

14. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I remember this event well. I remember thinking, "How can this be happening?" There were lots of protests happening all over the country at the time but no participants had not been shot until this happened. They had been hit by batons now and then but not killed. It was a very sad time for our country.

15. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I was 10 years old and remember it. I didn't quite understand all that it meant, but I remember seeing the news footage. Probably in black and white, that's all we had for a long time.

16. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Yes I recall that day as well. The country was a "Pessure Cooker". The Antiwar, Antimilitary movement was at a fever pitch. The burning of public Bldgs, and attacks on law enforcement was ramped up every week. The whole thing got out of control. The Wall Street Protest are moving in the same direction.:(

17. elmerfudge

elmerfudge New Member

In transit for AOCS in Pensacola. Very subdued atmosphere upon arrival. I think we all were ashamed for our country at what had happened. Everyone except our D.I. He denigrated the National Guard for being bad shots.

18. opaww

opaww New Member

I remember it, I just don't remember where I was stationed at the time

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Her name is Mary Ann. She was 14. I had just turned 17 and wondering what I was going to do after high school.

20. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I was working at the Tragic Kingdom, a.k.a. Dismaland, a.k.a. Disneyland at the time. A coworker was in the National Guard and as a result of this tragedy, the National Guard was no longer given live ammo when they were called out. So when the L.A. riots broke out, my coworker coincidentally was NOT near a television or radio or at home so he couldn't be contacted and called up. He had no urge to be driving through the riot area with an unloaded weapon.