.410 slug gun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by adamhale, Dec 13, 2009.

1. adamhale

adamhale New Member

What would be a good single shot 410 slug gun? Not looking to spend a bunch of money.

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Check out NEF and H&R models. Usually can get with nice wood stocks for about $200 nib.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

For what use? I mean, I've never heard of anyone looking for those specifications. Has to be .410?

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Total oxymoron in my opinion. .410 slugs should be outlawed for anything bigger than a jackrabbit.

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Sorry you folks feel that way. :confused:

Adamhale, I apologize for those other responses. There are several nice .410's out there for not alot of money.

Fwiw, a .410 slug will drop whitetails, even the big ones we have in Southern Ohio. I wonder why .410 slugs are good for Ohio, but buckshot is not??? ;) Most of the .410's you will find will be smooth bore, but rifled slugs can be had easily. I would stick with those made for 3" shells. Love my NEF, and it has been good to me for over 20 years. :D

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Wasn't being confrontational at all. Just asked for more specifics :confused: If I need to apologize for something, I'm fully capable.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Not really your response per se, yaeger. Newer member asking a good question and this is what is responded. Fact is, in Ohio, .410 slugs are legal for deer and many times it is the first hunting gun of many a child. As a note, .410 slugs legal-12 ga buck shot not for the taking of deer in Ohio.

Still, newer member asking a valid question for what ever reason is of no concern to me or anyone else. It's not like a newer member asking to trade a pre-ban AK for a sniper rifle or what the best silencer is. :rolleyes:

So, adamhale (skipper) look into the NEF's and the H&R single shots. Nice guns and go bang every time. My .410 will be the second gun my son shoots next year. :D

8. adamhale

adamhale New Member

I am looking for one for my 6 year old son. I think a 20 gauge is a bit to mutch for him still. myself in gun season use a 12 gauge with 3'' remigton copper sollid slugs or a smith & wesson 44 mag with a 6'' barrel

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Amen, adamhale. No real need to say why. Great guns for the younger ones. Hell, I have taken deer at close ranges with my NEF .410 shotty with slugs as an adult. I would not take a shot over 40-50 yds with one, but effective none the less. I, too love the 3" Remmy copper's for 12 ga and deer.

Like I said before, the NEF's and H&R's can be had for less than $200. I got mine for less than $100 over 20 years ago at a K-Mart in either BG or Toledo. :D

Get him a wooden stock and teach him how to care for it and he will have a treasure for life. :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Well that makes perfect sense. Skully knows his stuff and I'm sure he pointed you in a good direction.

11. adamhale

adamhale New Member

thanks for the info guys