410 shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bs1984, Apr 19, 2012.

1. bs1984

bs1984 New Member

What would u hunt with these if anything?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The .410 can be used for hunting anything that a 12 g can be used for. HOWEVER-

The .410 has a smaller amount of shot than larger shells, meaning that the same size pattern has fewer shot. Meaning that a bird flying through that pattern would be subject to being hit by fewer pellets. Meaning a higher number of wounded birds vs dead birds.

Have used on squirrels and rabbits, dove, quail, pheasants and grouse. IMHO, it is too light for deer, BUT- I took my first deer at age 11 with a .410. Have never used one for turkey, but would work.

It IS the shotgun of the highly profficent wingshooter. A lot of folks buy a .410 as a first shotgun for a kid- well, a 20 g would be a LOT better.

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yes a .410 can be used for anything you use a 12ga for but like c3 said at closer distances I know a lot of people who has killed deer with a .410 and it has worked

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There is no doubt that the 410 has killed many birds and animals. But it would be my last weapon of choice for any bird or animal. I killed my first deer with one but the 88 grain slug is a very poor choice for deer. The small shot charge is like c3 says only for experts or the lucky.

5. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

Also perfect for home defense tool, tight pattern and with 00 or 000 it will knock em down! Winchester has put out a round for the Judge line that Taurus builds that is a intense .410 round!

6. bs1984

bs1984 New Member

Ya I seen Winchester also put out a home defense round that looks pretty vicious

7. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I have hunted game farm quail with my Winchester Model 42. Game farm quail is the only game I would use it for.
    cottontop

8. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I have my dads old singleshot .410 but the ammo prices are crazy. I only have 12 shells of .410 at my house. Im gonna stock up on some for my son, he just got into guns. I got him a 10/22 for christmas and he loves shooting that and he shot my oldladys cousins 12ga with a very light birdshot. And if you could have seen his face it was priceless. So i figured my dads old .410 would be a great starter for a shot gun. And it was one of the long guns i learned to shoot with. So it just seems right. If anyone knows of good prices it would be great.

9. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

ok for close quail or humbling yourself at subgauge sporting clays.best price i found for shells B&P 10$ a box free shipping if you buy a full case 12 boxes

10. Shade

Shade New Member

.410's as stated have a limited application.

Good for rabbit and squirrel IMO. I try to shoot clays with the one I own.
    Some states do not allow deer hunting with a .410; I believe Illinois is one
    of those states. I use my 12 ga. for deer.

My boys 10 & 13 like it for the light recoil but they both shoot the 20 ga.
    too. I reload for the .410 so pricey ammo is not an issue. $150 for a MEC
    reloader is cheap if you plan on shooting much.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

shade kankaee co brings back memories used to hunt and field trial des planes area. shot a few of the states birds with a 410 but aint proud of it to many crips 20 or better is the way to go

12. Shade

Shade New Member

They still do all that overthere. Parts of the Arsenal are open to hunting now too.

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Anything ! I have killed Canadian geese with mine using 3in. magnum BB`s.........It will kill anything that say a .45 LC will kill.

14. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Small caliber........

Get up close, my brother had a 410 pump that he used to hunt rabbits in the swamp. Most kills came from when the rabbit was jumped and shot from less than 30 feet......For head shots, shoot 2 feet in front of the rabbit, thats when he is high tailing it out of dodge........Most kids around here were taught on the 410, then a 20 ga. and on up to the 12. ga......Check out the old over and under's.... 410 and 22 cal. rifle, use alot in the swamps of La......;)

15. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I learned on a Savage over-under .22/20. It was one heavy SOB but very nice.

16. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

The most I would ever willingly use it for is Rabbit or Squirrel.

17. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

on the wing ?

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

On the WING...............

19. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

20. Nighthawk63

Nighthawk63 New Member

I use mine for rabbits,squirrels, and sometimes dove hunting. I have a double barrel that is good for all small animals. I killed my first deer with an old single shot 410 with a slug when I was 9 years old. The slug was hanging on the other side still under the skin but it did the job.