.410 shells

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by potentialglock, Aug 7, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

So I inherited an old .410 break action shotgun from my grandpa. It says on the barrel it shoots 3" long shells. However once I accidentally bought 2 1/2" shells and fired several through it no problem. So my question is why does the length of a shell matter? Is there an adverse effect I'm unaware of?

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

The barrel is marked with the chamber length. It will fit up to a 3" shell, but you can shoot under that just fine. Just don't try to cram anything bigger than the 3".

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The earliest "410" shells were .44 Extra Long shot cartridges. Then 2 inch paper, then 2.5 inch, and later, 3 inch. Longer rounds have more power, more shot. As said, with a shotshell, it is the MAX length you can shoot. SOME autoloaders will not cycle the shorter shells. For yours, no problem.

4. ricepaddydaddy

ricepaddydaddy New Member

From what I've read, the 2.5" birdshot loads pattern better than the 3".
    I like 410's and keep one handy when out working here at the farm (for snakes and such).
    I put a sling on my single shot so I can carry it and tools at the same time, like when running fence, for example.

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Better percentage wise, but the 3" will still put more pellets by number on target in my experience.

6. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

You didn't say but I was wondering if that's an old Stevens 410. I learned to quail hunt on my grandpa's old single shot Stevens.

7. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I gave my old stevens 410 sxs to my daughter recently. Love that gun. I will miss it if I get the chance to go squirel hunting while the leaves are still on the trees.

I've shot clays with it plenty of times, seems like the 2.5" shells break just as many as the 3".

8. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

My dad has the old shotgun now and someday he'll hand it down to me. I've got a lot of fond memories of that old gun and knocked down quite a few quail with it to boot. Grandpa had an old .16 gauge Stevens too.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

On your newer .410`s the 3in. patterns better............

10. hogrider

hogrider New Member

From what I've seen the only real difference is cost. I'd shoot the 2 1/2's all day over just being able to shoot a few 3's. But then I reload so I don't really pay attention to cost.:cool: