410 barrel markings.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by wieseman71, Aug 19, 2015.

1. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

I have a newport w break open 410.
    The only markings on it say 410/12mm choke. I can not find a chamber size anywhere on the barrel. Ive shot hundreds of rounds thru it over the past couple years and may have already shot 3" shells i cant remember but im leary to do so without knowing the chamber size. Without knowing if the choke is full or modified im leary of any slugs. Any help would be great.

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Slugs could care less what the choke is, but chamber size does matter.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First your gun was made likely by Crescent (later ones by Iver Johnson) and is close to 100 years old.

12mm was a shot round from long ago, but the gun could also shoot .410 shells- WHICH AT THAT TIME WERE POSSIBLY 2 INCH SHELLS. 2 and a half came later, then 3 inch. The only way to tell for sure, lacking markings, is take it to a competent gunsmith who can check with a chamber gauge.

They were sold by the Hibbard Spencer Bartlett Company of Chicago, Il, a large wholesale sporting goods dealer. If you look real close it may be a model WN.

Choke- with those .410s, all or nothing. That is a full choke. Smith can check the choke with a choke gauge to be sure.

Slugs are not your problem- a slug will go thru any choke EXCEPT an Extra Full Turkey, or a an old Mossberg "dial a duck" adjustable choke (C-Lect Choke) Your problem is getting the gun checked to determine the correct ammo.

PS- yeah, I love me some 410 topbreaks. My first gun was a Harrington & Richardson single shot 410. Gift from my Grandad- on the day I was born. :D

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I still have the one my Dad gave me. :)

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Here it is. :)
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1440032645.987293.jpg

6. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

Thanks for the reply s and ill avoid the 3" shells until i can get it checked. I fell pretty safe with 2.5" ive shot close to 2 hundred thru it so far with no problems.
    By the way peoplebkeep telling me to sell it by people i mean walmart and cabelas counter staff. There saying the 410 is loosing popularity and the shells will double even triple in cost. I dont care its an absolute pleasure and joy to shoot.

7. RKB

RKB Member

Walmart and Cabela's counter staff are clueless about anything gun-related.

8. c3shooter

In any given series of shotguns, the .410s usually command the highest prices. But keep your day job- the single shot .410s are usually around $150- and the .410 shell is going nowhere.

Think I'm kidding on price of .410 shotguns? I have my Dad's Remington 1100 Light Field. It is an 1100, smaller frame, in .410. Check the price on an 1100 Light Field, and then gulp real hard. :popcorn:

9. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

are their any multi shot .410s? I've only seen single shots.

10. c3shooter

Art- the Remington 1100 is a semi- and there are a bunch of other semis, including an AK47 lookalike, SxS, O/Us, bolt actions, pumps, lever actions, etc.

11. artbrownsr

Thanks c3, I'm a pump fan, and my shotguns are all Rem. I did another search and Rem. doesn't have any pump .410s only the 1100 Semi Auto.
    However i did another shot at Mossberg and they have the 500 in .410. Thanks again for stirring my juices.

12. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Remington has been making 870s in .410 for over 50 years. They just aren't making any new ones right now. There are 11 on GunBroker. Like left handed guns, they seem to make a run whenever the demand dictates.

13. c3shooter

How about one of these- a Marlin lever action .410 ?

You could REALLY confuse other dove hunters with one of these!

410.jpg

14. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

after you shoot your 2.5" hulls, see if the tips are blown off. if they are...youre shooting them in a 2" chamber.

15. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

ask windsofchange about the REAL 1932 marlin 410 lever she shot at the shoot and hoot. (one of the perks of coming to one. ya get to shoot odd guns!)
    tip: real ones dont have rear sights.

16. artbrownsr

I just received this email from Remington.
    The Model 870 Wingmaster in .410 guage is scheduled for production in October and December of this year. The order number for that model is 24991.
    Thank you,
    Remington Consumer Service

Thank you and best regards,
    Remington Customer Services

17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a spent shell to the hardware store wth you, and match it up to the diameter of a wooden dowel rod. Buy the rod, and when you get home mark the rod with ink at the end length of the spent shell. Insert the rod into the breech, and mark it at the back of the chamber with a second color of ink. If your first mark disappears into the chamber, you are good to go with 2.5 inch shells. If not, do not fire the shotgun until you can come up with a source for 2 inch shells.

This is going on the assumption that there is a ridge at the end of the chamber, prior to the barrel it's self. No ridge, take it to a smith to get it checked out.

18. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

It's real easy to make a chamber gauge out of an old credit card. Just cut it to the right width. I used that when I was buying and selling guns and some dealers would get nervous, and rightfully so, if you wanted to measure the chambers on a SxS. The plastic doesn't endanger anything. Doesn't matter if you have a ridge at the end of the chamber or not, if the diameter starts decreasing it will stop the gauge.