40s&w or something bigger

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rem870forever, Nov 24, 2011.

1. rem870forever

rem870forever New Member

I already know it's capable of defense against people. Is it good enough for black bears or cougars or do I need something bigger

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it would probably get the job done with a couple of well placed shots, but something bigger would be much better. i would suggest at least a 44 magnum.

4. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

If you want a pistol capable of defending your life from a bear of cougar attack, I'd go with a magnum round revolver.

A .40 would probably be sufficient for a cat, but not a bear, unless you could unload a clip in his face before he was on you.

5. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

Personally, I'd go with the 44 magnum :)

6. Axxe55

the 44 magnum would be the least i would feel comfortable carrying anywhere there could be bears or large cats around. :eek:

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Same here .44 mag

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The first handgun was a 40 I bought in AZ for that very reason. I'd still be comfortable carrying a 40 in that situation. However, I'd feel more comfortable carrying a 45, 357 or larger magnum round.

9. dmp

dmp New Member

Right - with the 40, you'd probably want to unload the *uhem* 'magazine on a bear. The thing is, there are no guarantees. If, under duress, you can faithfully put rounds through about a 4" circle of a moving target, even 9mm would stop a bear with the right load.

BIG gun - BIG bullet - BIG damage. whilst ****ting a brick, I think i'd want a big bullet with the best chance of doing enough damage to convince a bear I'm not worth his/her trouble.

10. Bigger IS better

The Maasai (I believe) people of Eastern Africa have a right of passage into manhood of killing a lion. The approved technique is to arm one's self with a short throwing spear and finding a lion. When the lion attacks and jumps, the candidate throws the spear at the lion, aiming for one of two good sized 'soft spots' on either side of the lion equivalent of the sternum. If the throw is made properly, the spear injures the heart and kills the lion within a relatively short period of time. However, the candidate must perform the exercise exactly right.

In the same sense, a .40 S&W hollow point (or FMJ for penetration) round will kill a large, carnivorous, predatory bear. The candidate must perform the exercise exactly right. In either case, I'd prefer a Gatling gun in .45-70.

That always isn't an option, I'd still recommend something larger than a .40 S&W. I have no grudge against the round; I carry such a pistol for personal defense on a regular basis. But it's a bit light for large dangerous game. The smallest handgun I would suggest is a .44 Magnum, and even then the bear might fight you to a draw.

Were I going to be in 'bear country', I would take a short barreled 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. It's not as convenient as a holstered handgun, but neither is being mauled or eaten.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'd prefer bigger, but just as importantly faster in a wildlife defense gun. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd prefer a 357mag to a 40sw or 45acp if I had to deal with a cougar...and I don't generally prefer revolvers.

I'd also consider a 357sig drop-in barrel for the 40sw if that's available. A 147gr FMJ (1250fps) 357sig is a serviceable woods load for a medium caliber gun. Probably not ideal, but hard-hitting and a better alternative to a 40sw or 45acp in my mind. The 44mag is a great suggestion if it works for you, but some may not like size of such a big gun or the way a shorter barrel 44mag handles. A 357mag or 10mm can also be reasonable alternatives.

12. john_bud

john_bud New Member

Depends on where you are. Around here the black bears have been getting LARGE. A friend helped track the new WI state black bear in October. 650 pounds, not the heaviest, but the largest skull. It's larger than MANY grizz.

Heaviest black bear in WI is over 720 pounds. We see them in the 400-500 pound range pretty commonly when hunting.

Those sized animals are not going to be stopped by a .40. It may kill them -- eventually, after they are done eating you. But in a defensive situation, you want to STOP them and that's different.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

BIGGER!
    MUCH BIGGER :eek: :p

[​IMG]

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd say go with at least a .357Magnum.

I have to agree either that, or a

.44 Mag, depending on what you're

comfortable with...

15. Axxe55

IMO, if i was to be in the woods and the possibe encounter with an animal larger than 500 lbs. that might possibly be a danger to me, the 44 mag. would probably be the smallest i would feel comfortable with. maybe a 41 mag. with some hot loads, maybe. :eek:

16. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

Cant go wrong with a glock 20... Thats a 10mm beast. That will get the job done. If its bears your worried about just get some bear pepper spray...

17. Axxe55

the 10mm is a lamb compared to the 44 magnum. the 41 magnum is even a lot better than the 10mm. the 10mm is only a little better than the 40 S-W round. look at the ballistics, compare with same bullet weights, the 44 magnum has nearly twice the muzzle energy as the 10mm, and the 41 magnum has more than twice the muzzle energy. if i had to be in the woods with an animal that could possibly do harm to me by nature of it's size and mood, i'll take my 44 magnum over your 10mm anyday of the week.

18. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

I carry the G-20 loaded with Hornady XTP as my back up in the woods. Years ago I carried a Ruger .44mag, yes it will do the job very well but I do not like the extra weight. I prefer the 10mm with 15 rds at my side with a extra mag. If this does not work, I will just give the bear some salt and pepper and ask if he would like some wine to go with his meal.

19. Axxe55

personally, i will take the weight difference of the 44 mag over the 10mm and use the salt and pepper when i prepare the bear meat for dinner! but what wine goes good with bear meat?;)

20. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

It takes a lot of wine to make it taste better. Remember, this is a back up to the Rifle that is in my hands while hunting.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011