40s&w or 357 magnum?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by old fart, Apr 23, 2013.

1. old fart

old fart New Member

i am looking to get me a gun to wear for self defense, i will use it in public as well as in the woods. right now i can only afford one gun so my choices at my shop are the 40 or 357 mag. the 357 is $100 more than the 40 so thats something to consider. which would ya'll choose having only one choice?, i live in kentucky. thanks

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Did you check the price and availability of ammo?

3. old fart

old fart New Member

yes, i can get a box of either with a gun purchase. plus i'm trading a 22 rifle to some ammo when i get the gun. the 40 ammo when available is cheaper than 357. thanks

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would go for the .40 (although without knowing what guns your looking at I'm shooting in the dark). On the other hand .357 is fun and gives you a secondary ammo option.

5. old fart

old fart New Member

the guns are a taurus 357 model 66 at $475 and a stoeger couger in 40 for $375 both are new. i will be using them open carry as i need a hiking gun, here where i live my biggest threat will be man then a rabid coyote there is a slim chance i may run up on a feral dog or hog too. thanks

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would imagine you would want the .357 for hog. To be honest I don't think Taurus is even legal in my state and I've never seen anything other than shotguns out of the other. Lol
    I'm not familiar with the guns or the feral hog issue really.
    I have to look out more for coyotes,bear,moose and the off chance wolf or large cat in my neck of the woods.

7. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I would go with the .357. You have the option of .38 Special for practice as well as a rat shot option for snakes. If it gets to the point where we all have to reload it's my opinion that the 38/357 family is easier.

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

O F, one of the main considerations is action type. If you plan on having the weapon out in lots of inclement weather, then I would choose the revolver. If it won't get rained on a lot or be out in snowy, cold conditions, then the semi-auto is a good choice.

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The 357 is the better round and with 38sp as a secondary load option is hard to beat.

Personally, though, I'm a semiautomatic guy, and the cougar is a great gun with much higher capacity, so that would be my choice hands down. Carry a spare mag and you're good to go.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I was in your same shoes once, you know what I chose ? I chose the Ruger GP 100 in .327 Mag, the .327 Federal Magnum offers .357 Magnum performance with less recoil& 7 rds, I also have the Blackhawk in .327 & it hold 8, + I can use .32 S&W & .32 H&R Mag. & it has a heck of a lot more energy than a .40 cal. Well that`s just my 2 cents...............

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Taurus illegal in a state? That sounds very odd to me.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Tough choice. I'd probably lean towards the 357, but flip a coin and plan on getting a second one when you can afford it.

13. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

If ya go with the 357 dont get the taurus. Ive got the 92 tracker and its on its second trip to the factory for binding. Ive read a good hand full of there revolvers have this problem too. When it comes back im gona try and trade it for a ruger.

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

That's funny, they're actually known for having higher quality revolvers than semiautomatics. My pops has had an older 357 of theirs for what must be 10-12 years now. Their QC has gotten much better as of recent.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  15. old fart

old fart New Member

ruger out of my price range, and there are no used guns anywhere near me.

16. A. ZX

A. ZX New Member

I would go with the .357 as many have indicated you have a variety ammo choices interns of power or recoil, also for long term carrying in different conditions a revolver is an excellent choice. In an out door environment, the .357 is a great help almost against anything being it beast or man.

17. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Go with the revolver, I'm a semi auto guy most of the time but in the the woods its my .357 mag revolver. As has been said the revolver will be more reliable when conditions get bad.

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

Both are good calibers, but .357 Magnum is proven over a much longer period, and is still one of the best calibers around today in stopping power.

Of course, you get 11+1 rounds in the Stoeger, and only 7 in the Taurus. But a lot of people think that is more than enough in .357 Magnum.

I wouldn't worry about the possible QC issues with the Taurus. They have a lifetime warranty so everything will be fixed if issues come up.

I honestly don't know much about Stoeger as a brand, but I own a Taurus semi-auto and while it has given me one or two problems, I feel they are negligible considering the lifetime warranty.

In terms of the calibers alone, you can't really go wrong with either. There are people for each who swear by it.

19. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I would say it comes down to revolver or not. Both rounds are enough to bring down anything you'll run across. That said, if I'm backpacking its the 357 that goes with me, partly because its a light weight platform though.

20. old fart

old fart New Member

well i went with the stoeger couger in 40cal., i was leaning real hard toward the 357 as i prefer revolvers but price and ammo was my deciding point. the gun shop said he would take $350otd for the stoeger as he said he had it for about a year, he said new ones that are ordered now are $419+tax. the 357 would have been over $500 with tax, and he had no ammo he had several boxes of 40 cal. thanks everyone