$400 Garand Advice

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by zaitsev44, Dec 14, 2013.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I ran across a $400 HRA M1 Garand on Armslist today. The reason it's so cheap is because some moron tried to turn it into a tanker model. It needs the op rod, barrel, gas tube, and some connector rod replaced. I've been wanting a Garand since I was 6 and because it'd be some good gunsmithing experience. He's in my area. All in all it'll be $300 in parts. He said if the total of the parts and rifle exceed $800 then he'll lower his price. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

image-827112160.jpg

image-4218645831.jpg

image-140981228.jpg

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

If the stock is in good shape and you can get the parts, and he's also working with you on the price,..then Y not? Just make sure you have all the tools you'll need and a solid work surface. Let me know if you need any Extra "Clips," I know someone who has some extra.....

3. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

What tools would I need? I have pretty much anything and everything except heavy machinery like lathes and the like. I have a good bench and another one in the works that I'm gonna be reloading off of.

4. DrFootball

I don't think you'll need the Lathe. A solid work surface, and a good set of 'Smithing screwdrivers, and punches..
    Look In the Natchez Catalog/Website or Brownells....

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am a little miffed by the seller's promise. If he is willing to lower the price conditionally, he can do it anyway.

I am also skeptical about buying a rifle someone messed up, sight unseen, for any money. Other than face to face, I would not do it. Sorry man honest answer.

6. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Correction. This is a 1951 International Harvester M1 Garand. Not a HRA. Sorry I misread the post.

7. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I will need a barrel vise ($25 on eBay), a barrel reamer, and a set of modified .30-06 Go-No Go gauges. Or I could bring it to my LGS gunsmith but that means spending more. But if not I'd have to buy the parts (which I will most likely use again).

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I am extremely concerned about the rear sight, it looks like the receiver has been heavily modified to accept an M1 carbine rear sight:mad:

If that's the case, I wouldn't give $100 for it and that guy should be hung in the streets.

9. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Yeah I noticed that was a carbine sight. The seller was not the one that did all that to the rifle. He acquired it in a trade. With it being an International Harvester I am really tempted to talk him down as much as possible and return it to original military configuration.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I agree with Mercator. I would move on. You can get a whole M1,

in unmolested condition, for that kind of money. Now, IF you are

going to complete the Tanker job, that's a different story...

11. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I found a parts kit for $230 with everything except the receiver. For $300 I can get the whole kit with a new phosphate finish and a .308 barrel.
    For $530 it's tempting.

12. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

It really looks like the rear sight 'ears' have been cut off and the receiver has been reprofiled and tapped for the carbine sight. This thing is little more than scrap at this point:(

Price the parts that are good and offer him that. It's the best he is going to get.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'm with Sputnik. Since someone either broke the rear sight ears and went about grinding more off the receiver the thing is pretty much trash. If the receiver were unmolested, it might be worth it, but you aren't going to be able to fix that.

If a Garand is a dream gun, save for one that will at least live up to the dream, not one that will leave you regretting settling for a hack job.

14. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Ok thank you. I'll send him one last email making sure to see if the receiver had been ground into. If so then I will get a Mauser with the funds I was gonna use on it and then after that devote all my search for a nice $700-800 range WWII production Garand. Or wait a few months (or a year) for the CMP to get a few more in and get one for $525-600. Thank for all of your advice and opinions. I appreciate it and will be posting again with the receiver details. Thanks again.

15. DrFootball

Good luck either way. You might want to see if James River Armory has anymore Garands, they were a bit more then $800 tho...

16. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I checked James River Armory and they have Yugo M48 Mausers on a Christmas Special or $129. And then I looked at the Garands and saw they were $389. I'm 99% positive that this is a misprint or error, I emailed them verifying if that was a misprint so they would know to change it so they don't have 50 people emailing them about the Garands. I might pick up one of the M48s and either resell it and buy a vz24 or hang on to it.

17. DrFootball

Oh, then I guess they are out of the Nat'l Match Garands that were $799 a few months ago...

18. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

My bad I misread their description. That's what they charge for you to send in your Garand and they pretty much refurbish it. But their Yugo Mausers are for sure $129 and the have Russian Capture K98s for $379.

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would pass on it.

20. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

He said that he doesn't see any signs of grinding or defacement. That it's just missing the dust cover. I requested more detailed pictures of the rear right