400 bucks

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by DirtyHarry, Apr 2, 2009.

1. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry New Member

If you had 400 bucks and needed to buy a hand gun what would you buy??

2. ccr203

ccr203 New Member

I understand the budget constraints of our current world, but $400 leaves few options. I personally believe you need to handle the weapons and if possible fire them before making any decisions.

The next factor is what is your primary purpose for the weapon?

Home defense, a ccw weapon?

After that, then you can start to see what options are out there.

Taurus Mill Pros are decent weapons and you can get all the popular calibers in that price range, at least in my part of the country. Also their 38 revolvers are in that range.

Smith and Wesson sigmas and Ruger SR9.

You may be able to find a Kahr cw series near that range.
    Basically you have to find the weapon that is comfortable for you both in price and ability to shoot.

3. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I would look for a good used S&W wheelgun. A .357 with a 4" barrell would be a good compromise for a home defense/range gun.

4. oldandslow

oldandslow New Member

DH, 4/3/09

Good and bad news about a $400 max for your pistol. For a new gun you may not get the quality you'd like for that amount. The good news is that there are a number of high quality used guns available for that amount. Many used guns are bought by the original owner and left in a holster or safe and shot very little. One good source for quality used guns is Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.. He has a number of pistols for less than $400 including some Glock 22's. Don't forget the SW 3rd generation pistols which have a good reputation for reliability and durability (the 5906, 5903, 6906 models often turn up at Summit). If you come up with a specific model you're interested in don't forget Gunbroker and Auctionarms. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

5. Megaton

Megaton New Member

Second on the s&w sigma and the ruger semi autos if you want to purchase new. A taurus semi auto is another option, I have read mixed opinions on them. I have a friend who trusts one of their compact .45s for carry, although I have read about spotty quality and c/s. Others will tell you they are among the best.

If you can save a couple hundred more then your options really open up. If not then you will have to go used to have alot of options.

6. ladyM

ladyM New Member

........a .22 pistol and learn to shoot. Then when you save up some money --and have tried many firearms--buy what YOU like !

7. WDB

WDB New Member

Sorry Dirty,
    Just not enough information to help you out. Let us know what the pursose of the pistol, your experience with handguns. With that info you will get far more advice.

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Go into your local gun store, ask them to point out all the handguns under $400, play "eni meeni mini mo", or just pick the shinny one. Thats about all the advise I can offer given your criteria.

What exactly do you want it for? Home defense? Personal protection? Plinking? Getting jumped into a gang soon? Fed up with the economy and thinking about robbing a bank?

Help us help you.

9. propex

propex New Member

A Stoeger Couger 9mm or 40 s&w sells for $399 in my area. I have a Couger .45 made by beretta and enjoy it :D

10. group17

group17 New Member

Bersa 9mm is under your total.
    You might even be able to get a box of ammo with it at that price. Check out the reviews. I love mine. they come in 13 round cc and 17 round large.

11. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I'm with Lady M on this one on the .22s. Look for a Browning Buck Mark or Ruger 22/45, Mark II, or Mark III and you will still have money left for a bunch of bullets. With the $8.00 background check and the taxes it leaves only around $375.00, not quite enough to buy a quality firearm in today's market. With the scarcity of ammo and primers I'm shooting my Mark II more than ever and loving every minute of it.

If you want cheap thrills and big bangs, buy some firecrackers.

12. Kaptin

Kaptin New Member

Ruger P90 or P345 for about $400 will be a great self defense weapon. Any of the Ruger pistols are great buys for the money, IMHO. I assume you want a pistol to defend your self, and not a plinker.

13. dirtbikingdad

dirtbikingdad New Member

I just bought a used Ruger P95DC (9mm) and I'll have to say that while it is on the wide side, it shoots very well.... or so I think. I bought it used, in very good condition, with a cheapie holster, a box and half of ammo and with 3 mags in all. $280 from an individual and no tax!

I'm looking for another pistol now. Possibly a .40 or .45. Been looking at the lesser expensive end like you. The comments vary from good to crap for the brands I'm looking at. I guess as you become more of a "expert" you see what others say to be true and move up. The guy I bought mine from is getting a Sig .357 pistol to replace the one that I bought from him.... at 3 times the price. But it is soooo nice!

Good luck on buying a pistol. Either find a good deal (compare online at the banner) or go to a store or range that sales them and try them out. They rent the 9mm Glocks for $7 at my local range.

14. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Decent handguns under $400

Ruger P95 ($325 S&H included)

S&W SW9VE Sigma ($345 S&H included)

S&W SW40VE Sigma ($345 S&H included)(if do you like or don't mind the OD green frame, is priced even cheaper.... just $316)

Taurus 24/7 Pro, Taurus Millenium Pro, and Taurus snubby revolvers are good choices too....

Bersa firearms (Tunder 380, and full size Thunder series) are good chices under $400.

In Venezuela Tanfoglio are good choices (In USA they are marketed as EAA Witness I think).

Since Rossi was bought by Taurus they are improving their quality control on their revolvers.

15. Conradm

Conradm New Member

Easy. An SR9.:D Great gun for the money and loses nothing to more expensive striker fired guns.

16. WDB

WDB New Member

If you like your P95DC look for a P94, I have one in 40 cal and if I remember they also made it in 45 cal. I think I paid about $350 for my P94DC with the safety option & 2 mags. I own three of the Ruger P series and truly enjoy shooting them.

Here are my Ruger P95 9mm, P93 9mm with night sights and P94 40 S&W (top to bottom)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  17. dirtbikingdad

dirtbikingdad New Member

Nice collection WDB. My wife tried a Taurus (don't recall which one) the other day and found that she likes the P95 better. It just feels better. I feel I got the 95 cheap enough that I'll always keep it around, but I am leaning towards 40's as a "standard", but I do not have one yet. I do not want to have fifteen different sizes of pistol ammo to keep track of. Anybody else feel the same way?

I honestly do not have that much experience, but I find I like the exposed hammers (single action ready - I guess) like my P95 and a 1911.

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I've had the p series ruger and a couple of taurus as well. Ruger FTW!!!

19. WDB

WDB New Member

Thanks, the Ruger P series are fun to shoot and a quality pistol so if you like them look for one in 40 or 45, the price will be about the same and the feel will be the same. I truly enjoy them but I carry a S&W M&P 45 most of the time. As for your ammo question, I think most of us start out with that in mind and latter find that we own several different calibers for different uses. The other reason you already expereinced it's hard to part with a pistol you enjoy so you keep it and buy something different.

20. mikecu

mikecu New Member

Get a few more paychecks under your belt, and get whatever you want.