.40 s&w

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by garsha91, Apr 22, 2013.

1. garsha91

garsha91 New Member

Good handgun for .40 s&w

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As in "What is a...."?

The question would be better if you asked "What .40 S&W caliber firearm should I avoid?"

The list would be shorter. :)

3. garsha91

garsha91 New Member

Haha well then why don't we go with what to avoid and what people would recommend based on experience and what they have heard

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Ruger sr40c
    Kahr cm40

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Hi-Point (aftermarket accessories are kind of scarce).

6. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I have an XD40 Service, XD40 Tactical and a Glock 22. I'm extremely happy with those.

7. rickster

rickster New Member

If we understand you correctly, you are asking for advice as to which handgun in 40 S&W you should consider. If that is the case:

Is it going to be for ccw? Or, home defense?

Are you going to be visiting the range on a regular basis to practice?

Many factors determine what is best for you.

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

.40 S&W is a decent cartridge but one better suited for a "Service" size handgun.

I have a SIG P226 in .40 and really like it but I've yet to find a compact or sub compact I've liked in this caliber.

Tack

9. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

What Dans getting at is there are a large variety of experienced people here with an even larger variety of favorite pistols.You will definitely get a whole bunch of answers some low$ some high$ and everything in between.
    My choice is Sig Sauer P226 in 40. this choice also allows me to shoot 9mm as well as 357. Sig just by swapping out barrels.However it's a little big for a edc so it has become my primary home defense and range pistol.Sig also makes a smaller more concealable P229 as well as an even more affordable 2022 that work well in 40.
    Just speaking for myself of coarse I stay away from pistols that are uncomfortable and take away from my natural point of aim.Every one is a little different and you can expect to hear from guys who own Glocks ,Barrettas ,Rugers ,HKs ,1911's of various makes and models,Springfield,S&W and on and on and on.
    The only bad pistol I ever bought was a Jennings 380. auto
    and that had to be about 23-25 years ago.I definitely will never lay hands on another one.
    Good luck with you're search and remember that no matter what anyone tells you the one that feels most comfortable and shoots most naturally to you is probably the one you should get.Keep in mind that it should be reliable enough to protect you and you're family's life with.Take in what everyone here says and then go get a hand on everything you can.

10. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Not to hijack the thread but you should try the PX4 subcompact. Shoots great (in my opinion)for such a small pistol.

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Have not tried that one...

Shot sever other compacts and subs in .40 and found them way too snappy for my liking but that's a preference thing. Just known many folk who went .40 on there first CCW gun and could not handle the "pop"... and wound up loosing money stepping up to a bigger gun or stepping down to 9 mm.

I've been a pistol shooter and EDC guy for 17 years and I find the .40 to be more recoil "muzzle flip" than the .45 ACP.

It's very manageable "for me" in a full size platform like the 226... but just way to much torque in the compacts... but if other can handle it, more power to em! ;)

Tack

12. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

I understand this is blasphemy, but a Hi-Power in .40 cal is a pretty good choice.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

HK USP or Sig P226

Attached Files:

14. rickster

rickster New Member

You know what's funny about this thread up to now?

The member who posted the question is not online.

He has not specified wether he wants a ccw or home protection handgun.

What price range, skies the limit or hi-point level.

We are a bunch of gun nut's aren't we. Lol.

15. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Lol I just thought we were normal and everyone else was a nut.

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

It's all good... right up to the point were you start trying to convince your reloading bench of a particular gun or calibers merits...because no one else in your life wants to hear it! :D

Tack

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Oh I know, how about a Sig MPX sub machine gun. It comes in .40 S&W. :p:D Germans consider sub machine guns as machine "pistols"

18. rickster

rickster New Member

We just love to talk about guns. Period.

19. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

Have you tried the Sig P239? I got mine when they first came out and really like it.

20. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I looked at those right after I picked up my 226.Sweet pistols with great reviews.