40 or 45acp?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by pistol77, Oct 25, 2012.

1. pistol77

pistol77 New Member

Ways best 40 or 45acp for self defense?

2. jrobbins59

jrobbins59 New Member

I carry a glock 26 9mm for concealment. 9 40 r 45 will get the job done. I chose a 9 mm because I didn't want alot of recoil in a sub compact. If I chose to have a full size to keep in vehicle r at home I would prop go with a 40sw but if u want a monster and I mean a monster for as knock down and power go with the 45. But choose a gun that u can handle the recoil.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

which ever one you shoot best and will carry. a gun that you have and can hit with trumps caliber choice.

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

^^^^There ya go. Pick the biggest baddest thunderboomer that you will
    carry EVERY DAY. No excuses----none of the "it's too heavy" "i can't
    conceal it in these clothes"----EVERY DAY. If that turns out to be
    a NAA mini revolver, a Desert Eagle or somewhere in between, pick your
    gun then practice, practice, practice. :)

To answer your original question, 40 and 45 are both good. It's a personal
    thing, and personally I prefer 45.

5. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Neither one of them is "best." If there were such thing as a "best," then there would only be one kind on the market. I own, shoot and carry both .40 & .45, in different platforms with confidence. Some folks even prefer 9mm, etc.

If you decide to carry a service caliber pistol for self defense (9mm, .40 & .45) it is important to carry modern self defense ammo. After all, it is the bullet that does the work on target. Self defense is no place to go cheap.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Pistol size may play in to your choice and the one you can crontrol best should be picked. 45 has less snap than a 40 but can be a wider pistol and in a small size a 9mm may be the best choice. Nether one is a one shot problem solver ether.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The little .380 in your pocket will stop more "bad gize" than the .44 magnum in your safe.

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Neither for concealed carry, too large a caliber requiring too large a gun to conceal comfortably. However for home defense, 45 with all steel frame and I can pop shots and bring right back on target for a followup shot if necessary all day long, or until my mag is empty anyway.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I carry a lightweight commander size 1911 (Kimber Pro Carry) in .45ACP and I feel very comfortable carrying it and with the capability of the round.

10. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I carry an officers 1911 and I find it fine to conceal.

11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

To answer your question.

Considering the totality of the circumstance 40 is better than the 45.
    That said, as stated earlier, hit probability is the MOST part of those circumstance so I opt for the 9mm. If you use the BEST SD ammo available today in the 9mm, 357 Sig/Mag, 40 S&W, 45 ACP/GAP/Colt there is no realistic difference in the their ability to stop the fight!;) SO considering the totality of the circumstance which will be more controllable (hit probability) in a smaller easier to conceal platform (concealability) with more ammo in the magazine (highest basic load)????????????
    See what I mean????:D
    Hope this helped.:)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  12. The difference between calibers is in the recoil from each gun. Recoil is the interaction between the bullet weight, velocity, and the weight of the gun - and to some extent, the ergonomics of the grip. Recoil has two components - the amount of energy measured in foot pounds pushing back against your grip on the pistol (one hand, or two hands), and the second is the velocity of the recoil impulse measured in feet per second (FPS).

As an example, a .40 caliber round with a 165 grain bullet with a velocity of 1080 FPS in a 1.5 lb gun will have a recoil of 9.3 ft pounds, and a recoil velocity of 19.9 FPS.

A 45 ACP with a 230 grain bullet at 930 FPS would have 8.2 ft lbs of recoil energy and a recoil velocity of 13.8 FPS in a 2.75 lb gun.

A 124 grain bullet 9mm round with a velocity of 1125 FPS would have 6.0 ft pounds of engery and a recoil velocity of 16 FPS in a 1.5 lb gun.

While the same cartridge in a 2.0 lb gun would generate 4.4 ft pounds of recoil at a velocity of 11.9 fps.

As shown, with a heavier pistol the recoil (ft pounds of energy and recoil velocity) will be reduced - so you have to decide what size /weight of pistol you're going to match with the round.

Recoil greatly influences follow up shots speed and accuracy.

In general, .40 caliber has more recoil and a higher recoil velocity. Your follow up shots will be a little more difficult unless you practice a lot or use a gun with the weight and grip ergonomics to help better control the recoil.

The 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP will provide more than enough stopping power, with the capability to carry more rounds going to the 9mm and .40 - if that is an important consideration for you.

I carry both the 9mm and the .45 depending upon clothing to conceal the pistol. My wife carries only the 9mm as that is the caliber she has practiced with the most and feels comfortable shooting.

The best thing to do is to shoot the different calibers and become acquainted with how they perform in different types of pistols - being aware of the ammunition being shot in each and the weight of the guns.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  13. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

It depends upon several factors. If you shoot well with both calibers, the .45 would make the biggest hole going in, and if you are lucky enough for it to expand, would do the most damage. The .40 would likely expand better than the .45 due to higher velocity. The recoil should not be a big factor, unless for maybe a wimp or small lady. If you are not that great at shot placement under duress, the .40's usually have a higher magazine capacity, so you'd have more chances for a good hit.
    I personally have .40's and .45's of various sizes, from 3-inch to 5-inch barrel lengths. For a true close encounter, the short barrel/slide will be easier to maneuver into a position between you and the BG. If I expect to be in a place/environment where the attack would be at body contact distance I usually carry a Para Ordnance Warthog, a .45 with a 3 inch barrel. But if I believe it would more likely be from perp(s) in a car, I carry the biggest piece I can conceal, such as a 5-inch 1911 or Taurus PT-101, a .40 with a 5 inch barrel.
    Either caliber should be sufficient. Just pick a gun (or guns) you feel comfortable with.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Center punch someone someone with either caliber, and they will very likely experience a change in priorities. If not, do it again. The difference between the two is primarily academic.
    IMHO, you should worry less about the diameter of hole in the barrel & more about the actual gun itself. Figure out what you shoot well, then work on caliber choice.

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Good for ya, I know many claim to. Depends on how amd where you carry. For me, pocket carry, I must have something small. I've tried other ways but nothing is comfortable enough. Wish I could do IWB or on belt, because it seems they would afford more sizeable pieces, but I don't wear belts, the weight on them is unacceptably awkward for me and IWB cuts into my skin because I dont tuck anything in. Just personal pref is all. I commend those that can carry in such options, a little jealous actually. Haha

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's the shooter, NOT the gun/caliber. [​IMG]

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Hahaha. I'd say its a healthy combination of it all, but what do I know, I've never been in a shoot out of any sort. Then again, what's healthy about it? Hahahaha

18. oli700

oli700 New Member

I remember when I learned that….it was about 5 minutes after my best friend died from a single 22lr in less than one minute

19. While true, that's not much help in making an informed decision on choosing a pistol. Next, we'll be hearing all about indians and arrows and other favorite Internet cliches attempting to masquerade as useful information.

20. orangello

orangello New Member

I prefer the "push" recoil of my .45acp, but carry whichever you can shoot most accurately with and hope never to need it.