40 in a 10

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by mountainman13, Sep 19, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No. I'm not talking about getting a speeding ticket. Lol
    Thought this was interesting.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXtEm70Q0M[/ame]

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There is some incorrect info in the video (especially in the written portions).

This is not a recommended practice.

The guy has the money to get an extra barrel, why didn't he get the .40S&W?

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Definitely not a recommended practice.
    I was surprised it worked at all. It's basically like shooting a .380 in a .357.
    Just Thought it was interesting and would create a conversation.

4. AR10

AR10 New Member

Not an ideal situation on several levels. In a SHTF end of world zombie apocalypse where you have one gun, and limited ammo, it will work.

That is nothing compared to this extreme ammo variant.

[ame]http://youtu.be/rmrtX79I1eA[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  5. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I've also heard of someone firing .380 ACP in a Glock 17 but they were complaining (Yes, complaining!) that the gun didn't cycle properly and there were extraction issues. Ya'think?

Sure, they are both technically 9mm in diameter but there is a little more to just bullet diameter when it comes to automatics and how they are chambered. Just because the weapon will technically fire doesn't mean it is a good idea!

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I love how people will do the craziest things to Glock. After all they are cheap and disposable. So, no one really cares.

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The problem is the auto cartridges headspace on the mouth of the case, so when you use a shorter cartridge the only way it will fire is if the extractor holds it firm enough to the bolt face for the firing pin to strike it hard enough to fire. By any standard it is not a safe practice regardless of the platform used. :(

8. 4sig

4sig New Member

Since a .380 is sometimes call a 9mm short can you shoot .380 in a 9mm pistol?

9. 4sig

4sig New Member

Never mind. Question answered

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Simple put. Don't shoot anything other than the manufacturer recommended rounds.
    This was just a point of interest / discussion thread.
    Do not try this at home.

11. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

10-4. Definitely picked up on you not recommending the practice.

Not even sure how dangerous this is, but seems like a great way to tear up a handgun if nothing else. Of course, if you damage the chamber then eventually it could get dangerous.

12. BRL

BRL New Member

Use the Proper Legnth Chamber

I can see it now...

Fouling in the front gap of the 10mm chamber from the .40 S&W round, then the user goes back to the longer 10MM cartridge and...another Glock KABOOM! story. :rolleyes:

13. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

For extremes, look up on youtube all the crap that people put in shotgun shells.
    As for non-shotshells, not much beats the .444 marlin, .44 mag, and .454 cassull out of a .410 shotgun. Im not gonna try it anytime soon, but the videos were interesting.