.40 Carbine options

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Kdub, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I'm interested in a .40 carbine for some reason. The only options I have been able to find are hi point, beretta cx4, and Keltec sub 2000k. I really like the Keltec but availability is crap. Beretta looks like a space gun, and the hi point is well...a high point. Are there any other options out there?

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

JR, Taurus, AR15 uppers. Google 40 S&W carbines.

3. ams556

ams556 New Member

I like the Hipoint, mainly for the price

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Rock River Arms makes a nice 40 and 9mm carbine. That's the way I would go.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You can trust Beretta on this one. The spacey molded stock is exceptionally comfortable, I have no doubt it contributes to accurate shooting. The fit and finish is also best of the bunch.

6. 4sig

4sig New Member

I have shot the Beretta in .45 and the Highpoint in .40. I also thought the Beretta was too futuristic but after shooting one I'm buying one in 9mm. The Beretta is a very quick take down where the Highpoint is a relatively complicated take down shoot before you buy if at all possible

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

7. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

I've been thinking about an emf jr carbine but I was looking at the 9mm they also have 40 though. The cool part for me is they use glock magazines which are easy to get and depending on where u live you can get 33 and 50 round mags.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  8. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Why? Most will be around the price of a AR-15 with the exception of Kel-Tec or Hi-Point. Just get yourself an AR-15 in 223/5.56.

With that said, don't diss the Hi-Point. It is very accurate, yes a bit big, but being a blow-back system with a spring recoil stock is very easy to shoot and has hardly any recoil. It is fun to shoot, easy to operate, uses inexpensive 40 S&W ammo (cheap for me I reload) and except for a gritty trigger (it will work itself out) is a good piece of machery. Price is half of the other options so you have extra cash for ammo. Customer service is great from this company and mags are only $18.00 apiece (so you can stock up on them without breaking the bank).

But it is your choice.
    Jim

They will be hard to find, so when one comes along, jump on it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  9. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

CX4 storm is an amazing gun. Crazy accurate with just the factory sights with ergonomic feel.

10. tazzman55

tazzman55 New Member

Have you considered a JRC40 carbine? It uses Glock magazines, and Glock makes an extended mag that I think holds 25 rounds. It uses AR stock components so you can change the stock and grip. And it has a flat top allowing the mounting of any type of aftermarket sight.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

RUGER PC-4 Police carbine, Taurus CT G2 Carbine

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_UMyym_QhbU[/ame]

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OXT3jWoWoJI[/ame]

Attached Files:

12. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Love the looks of the Ruger. I always like the old Deerstalker 44mags and this reminds me of them.

That Taurus is just plain butt ugly. Even Hi-Points have nicer looks over this thing.

13. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I 2nd the Hi-Point...I have one in 9mm, and .40. They are accurate, and super reliable. Takedown is very easy if you watch the you-tube vid (instructions that come with the gun, not so great) Tons of fun..They are very popular with the Girls at work, when they come out to the farm. Love both of mine..

Attached Files:

14. Caribou

Caribou Member

There is the MechTech which is an upper that fits onto your Glock, 1911, and a couple others. It is available in multiple calibers. It seems a bit pricey considering that you have to provide your own lower (pistol) but your magazines are a go.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.php

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Meh. I have one in 40. I bought it mainly to go with the 96A1 that I already had. If I had to do it, I'd think harder. For a $700+ gun, it's lacking a few things. WAY too much plastic. Trigger linkage parts make the trigger feel spongy. But, for $300=, you can replace all those parts, and get something Beretta should have provided to begin with. And, as always with Beretta, the parts availability to switch mag types is so-so at best. If the thing was $500 new, my tune would be different.

16. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Member

17. CornCod

CornCod Member

I think Olympic Arms still makes a .40 S&W AR.

18. tazzman55

tazzman55 New Member

I had a Ruger police carbine and found that it would not shoot aluminum cased ammo, (blazers). I experienced case separation leaving a ring in the chamber and jamming the gun. I also had one in 9mm that did not have that problem. My theory is that the slight taper of the 9mm was enough to prevent separation. I saw other references to the same thing while searching the web. Other than that
    I found the PC40 to be a fine carbine in every other respect.

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Beretta. Light, short, handy and reliable.

20. 4sig

4sig New Member

Just bought a CX4 Storm 9mm as part of the renewed shipping by Beretta. Great carbine!! Just ordered a Sig Romeo 5 Red Dot from optics planet to go with it. Simplest take down of any rifle I've shot. Super accurate.