40 cal conversion

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by lockednglocked, Dec 19, 2011.

1. lockednglocked

lockednglocked New Member

Just wondering if anyone has done the .357 sig conversion on the glock 22, I like the .40 cal but I've always wanted to convert it but haven't ran into anyone who's tried it. For the price of the LW conversion barrel u can't beat it. Any advice?

2. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Get the barrel and ammo, drop the barrel in, shoot! I did the reverse; have a 357 SIG and converted to .40.

3. lockednglocked

How do you like the .357? I've heard both good and bad stories.

4. lockednglocked

How do you like the .357? I've heard both good and bad stories.

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The .357 Sig cartridge is basically a necked down .40 S&W case to accomodate a 9mm or .36 caliber bullet. Since it's practically the same in everyway as the .40 S&W cartridge it will fit in a magazine for that the .40 cartridge, and will fire in a firearm that is chambered in .40, but has had the .357 Sig barrel installed to replace the .40 barrel. I have no experience with the .40 S&W or the .357 Sig cartridge, but everything I've heard is the conversion works very well.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The Secret Service carries it for a reason I suppose. It's an excellent defense caliber and a blast at the range. With the right load, it might even be a decent woods gun.

The knock on this caliber is that range ammo is expensive (JHPs are no more expensive than any other caliber). I order most of my 357sig range FMJs, and count on paying about $20-22/box delivered.

7. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

It's a very good round. There are a number of law enforcement organizations using it. It's accurate and recoil is like a really hot 9MM +P. It's "snappier" than a .40 or 45. I like both calibers but in my gun, the .40 is slightly more accurate. Not that the .357 isn't accurate just that in my gun the .40 is more so.

8. lockednglocked

I appreciate the info guys, I think I'm Gunna be placing an order this week. I'll keep ya posted.

9. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I have a Storm Lake .357 Sig barrel in my Glock 22. The .357 Sig
    shoots great. IMO it has considerable more muzzle blast than the
    .40 S&W. Also, the ammo is pricey. I did find some American Eagle
    125gr fmj for $20 box (50).

10. Wolfeman1911

Wolfeman1911 New Member

I have a glock 31 and a glock 22 rtf. I prefer to carty the 357 bbl on the 40 cal frame because it provides me with a better grip. They both work perfectly in the other gun, whether I just change the bbl or swap the while slide/bbl/recoil spring assembly.

11. Charyoutree

Charyoutree New Member

OK, so am I right when I guess that a G17 slide can be put on a G22 receiver and switch mags for the 9mm and it will work fine?

Looking at ammo prices today and would like to shoot more than what I can do with .40's. Checked out the .22LR on version kits but the ones for the 17/22 seem to have a year+ backorder. 22 would be better than 9mm, but 9mm is easier on the wallet than .40.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers?) --"Satires", Juvenal (Roman poet)

12. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I'm not sure about that. The .40 and 357 SIG are interchangeable but I'm not sure about the 9MM.

13. Charyoutree

Charyoutree New Member

I am making that guess/assumption based on the fact that the dimensions of all three (17, 22, and 31) are identical. But hat is n assumption and we all know what happens when you assume.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers?) --"Satires", Juvenal (Roman poet)

14. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

The problem I see is that the head dimension of the 9MM is .394 and the 40/357 SIG is .424. This could cause problems with extraction. I think the slide as well as the barrel and mags would have to be changed.
    By the way, Charyoutree, I'm a huge fan of The Dark Tower!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  15. chewchew

chewchew New Member

All federal air marshalls carry the 357 sig. They are trained in Roswell N.M. on real airplanes that have been mothballed. If someone hijacked and airplane and holds a hostage as a shield, the marshalls are trained to shoot the hostage because the 357 sig will take out the hijacker too, also if you hit the airplane, it will not depressure the plane unless you take out a window.
    The feds are looking at new calibers, including the 5.7X28 which has more penetration at close range and a greater range of accuracy up to 100 yds.
    When the 5.7X28 is loaded with Hornady SS190, it will penetrate a swat vest up to 50 ft away. MY family are Atlanta Swat, Federal air marshall, FBI and Georgia state trooper and my Uncle was with President Clintons swat team. Now retired.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  16. Charyoutree

Charyoutree New Member

Placed an order for the LW 40-9 conversion barrel and some 9mm mags. Will post my thoughts on it after it gets here and I try it out.

17. Charyoutree

Charyoutree New Member

One of the best epic tales ever written. :)

18. Gator45

Gator45 New Member

What!?!!...What!??!?? Clinton's SWAT team. Is that the one that killed the Branch Davidians or the ones that stole a little Elian at gun point.

19. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

I have he 32 and shoot 40cal with the LW barrel. No problems. I have shot a bowling pin at 2-3 yards with a 44mag, 357mag and a 357sig. The 357sig is the only one that went all the way through.