.40 ammo manufac defect?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by PeaceNik06, Jan 2, 2012.

1. PeaceNik06

PeaceNik06 New Member

I bought a box of federal and found this defect. Is it common to see this. And what would I do with it, I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable shooting it, and cant just throw live ammo away?

Attached Files:

2. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

It would probably prevent the pistol/slide from closing fully anyway. It's not common but it does happen. Out of probably 100,000 rounds I've shot in 9mm the past 5 or so years I've had one defect, the case rolled over during the bullet seating process. It was a Remington Golden Saber though.

Pull the bullet, dump the powder then fire the empty case off in your pistol. Or mail it back to Federal as is.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You can just throw live ammo away, but why waste the components. Forward a copy of the photo and the lot number from the box to the manufacturer advising them of the issue. They cannot improve QC if they do not know of a problem. They might send you a coupon for some more ammo. Save the round and find someone that loads ammo. The bullet can be pulled and reset correctly or the components can be salvaged.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Contact Federal. They may send you a UPS tag to return it to them-

But NEVER use US Mail for live ammo. UPS or FedEx GROUND- but not mail.

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Ups doesn't charge hazmat fees for ammo.

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I would save it as a collectable rather than recover the components.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

me too, thats pretty unusual....

8. PeaceNik06

PeaceNik06 New Member

Thanks. Yeah, I'll just save it but I prob want to at least get the primer out. It might be a while before I see another defect like this.

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Soak in in oil or wd-40 for a few days, it will no longer fire...

10. hmh

hmh New Member

Put it in a wd40 bath and you can use a small drill bit at a very slow speed with it in the wd on the side of the case well above the rim. Brass and steel shouldn't spark the wd will corrupt the powder and cool the metal.

11. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

Why take the primer out? If you're going to keep it just keep it. It's no more dangerous than keeping any other round. Just don't hide it in your fireplace and don't let anyone hit the primer with a hammer and prick/center punch and it will be fine. People collect live rounds for display all the time, I've got some live rounds here, one's a 338WinMag I found at the range another is some Russian rifle round. They're in no danger of firing without some help from someone. Think about how bulk ammo is packed, shipped and store just piled up in a box or ammo can.

You'll be taking more risk trying to make it "safe" than if you just putting it on a shelf or in a drawer somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012