4 New 1911's & A CZ (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by billt, Jul 1, 2012.

1. billt

billt New Member

I’ve had several 1911’s on my “short list” for a while now. The problem has been availability. For some time now Springfield’s and Colts have been hard to come by in my area. The few that do pop up from time to time seem to be priced way over the top. At least more than I’m willing to part with. I did pick up a Springfield Stainless Long Slide and a Range Officer a few months back. But I’ve been wanting both a 9 MM Target as well as a Stainless Mil Spec Model. Neither have been available. This past week I had a couple of shops I do business with call me to tell me that had changed.

One shop said he had 5 of each of both Stainless 9 MM Target Models and Stainless Mil Spec Models come in. I immediately drove over and grabbed one of each. Both are beautiful, and were priced right. There is just something about the Stainless Model Springfield’s that draws me to them. Then, less than 2 hours after I got back home with both of my new found prizes, a good friend that works at another shop I frequent quite often, called me to tell me he had gotten in a nice steel framed, blued, Colt Commander. As they say when it rains it pours. I took a drive over to eyeball the gun. I was really impressed with it.

I’ve been wanting a Commander for a while, but the only one’s I’ve crossed paths with were the Aluminum framed models. I wanted a steel frame, and for some reason they weren’t available. At least they’ve managed to elude me up until now. The all steel Commander feels really good, and is typical Colt quality throughout, with beautiful deep, rich bluing. This shop also deals with Davidson’s, and they also had several of the new Remington R-1 1911’s in Stainless Steel come in just a few days before. The Stainless Remington R-1 is a very nice gun as well. These guns look much better in person than they do in the photos they provide on Remington’s website. It has a beautiful overall fit and finish. I almost bought a blued R-1 Remington several months back from the same shop, until he told me that Remington was bringing out the gun in Stainless very soon. So I decided to wait. It was worth it. This stainless R-1 is really an eye catcher. I’m very impressed with the slide fit on this gun. It racks like it’s on ball bearings. Very well put together for it’s price point.

This shop also had a 2 tone CZ 75B, (Stainless frame and blued slide), that I looked at, and took a pass on just a few weeks back. It was a very nice gun, but I already have the CZ 75B in Polished Stainless Steel, and I couldn’t really justify purchasing another. This time I did notice he had a CZ 97B in .45 ACP sitting right next to it that he had just gotten in. I looked at it and this thing fit my large hands like a glove. I was really impressed with the workmanship of this gun for the price. The gun had nice wood checkered grips and the standard CZ Polycoat finish. I also liked the threaded barrel bushing design it uses. We got to talking and he made me a deal on all three that I just couldn’t refuse.

It’s not very often I do 5 guns in one day, but in this case they were available, and the prices were excellent, so why not! I’ll be heading to the range over the next several days to light them up. I’ve got plenty of hardball in both .45 ACP and 9 MM to keep them well fed. I would go tomorrow, but as luck would have it I’ve got landscapers coming to do a ton of work around my place. I’ll give a range report just as soon as I can. In the mean time I’ll have to be content to simply eyeball them. I’ve already given them a good cleaning and lubing in anticipation of a long range session with all of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

3. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Very nice indeed!!!

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

had a cz97b some version dont feed hollow points at all. others do. its all related to the magazines. if yours doesnt contact cz and they will fix the mags. great guns though. i ended up selling the B version because i didnt want to keep sending mags to cz for modification.

i had the BD version and it ate everything, my dad has it now as his home defense gun.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

REALLY like the Springer :cool:
    [​IMG]

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

nice set of pistols there BillT!:D

i would have a really hard time explaining five in one day to my wife!:eek:

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'd have to stretch'em out myself :eek:

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

stretch'em out! heck, i just learned how to hide them out! several months ago i bought three guns in one day, i only showed her one of the three i bought!:eek:

9. billt

billt New Member

I've got a variety of ammo I'll be taking to the range with it. So I'll see what it likes and what it doesn't.

10. billt

billt New Member

Thanks. She pretty good about guns. Especially handguns. I rarely go to the range without her. It's a nice get away for the both of us. She was already complaining to have to wait until Tuesday.

11. billt

billt New Member

I do as well. As I said, I've been after one for a while now, but wasn't having any luck in finding one. The place I bought it from told me they have one as a range rental gun for a couple of years now. It sees a lot of ammo, and they've never had any trouble with it ever. Range guns get shot a lot, and usually don't get the maintenance they deserve. It's good to know the gun has held up so well for them. It's somewhat of a confidence builder. I have heard of some 9 MM 1911's that have had issues with reliable functioning.

12. billt

billt New Member

Well, yesterday morning I headed out to the range. Too hot to shoot outside for any length of time, so I went to the indoor range a few miles from me. The wife and I took all 5 guns, along with 900 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 230 Gr. FMJ, and a bunch of other handloads and factory stuff I had on hand. I had pretty much every shape and bullet weight under the Sun. It's unbelievable how HEAVY .45 ACP is when you lug a lot of it! I also brought 300 rounds of 9 MM for the Springfield.

Before I left I loaded up several magazines with 230 FMJ Ball for all of the guns, and some 115 Gr. Federal Champion 9 MM. I wanted to run at least a couple of magazines through all of them quickly, just to make sure there weren't any issues right out of the box. I started out with the steel framed Colt Commander. It ran like a typical Colt, without a hitch. I then went through the rest of them, firing 2 magazines each. Not a single FTF or FTE in the bunch. So that was a relief. The only issue was on one of the magazines supplied with the CZ-97, the slide did not lock back on the last shot. I reloaded it and on the second magazine full it did.

The Springfield Mil-Spec and the Remington R-1 Stainless also ran very well, with no issues. I found the sights on the Remington to be a slight bit low at 25 yards, but both guns grouped very well. Believe it or not the Remington Stainless grouped the tightest with the cheap CCI Ball ammo. I continued to alternate guns while my wife was having a ball with the 9 MM Springfield Target Model in the booth next to me. She ran almost 100 rounds through it before I could get my hands on it.

This gave me the most satisfaction. I was concerned about it operating reliably because of everything I've read over the years about 9 MM 1911's. I picked up several boxes of Speer Gold Dot 9 MM's and .45 ACP at Cabela's a few days ago, and was curious to see how they would run. They were a bit louder with A LOT of muzzle flash, which surprised me for a defensive load, but the gun digested them without a problem. I tried the gun with Federal Champion 9 MM and found the sights were a bit to the right. I adjusted them and they printed dead nuts with a 6 O'clock hold. The Federal Ball was more accurate than the Speer Gold Dots were. At least in this pistol. Again, that surprised me.

I left the Springfield with her and started to shoot the CZ-97. I heavily lubricated all of these guns before we set out. After 100 rounds or so lube was oozing out of the slide in several areas. The CZ ran well, and ate everything I fed it, including some old 185 grain Amron stuff I had laying around since the 70's. Every one lit, and believe it or not, was pretty accurate. The CZ shot point of impact at 25 yards. The one magazine that failed to lock the slide back on the last shot did it 2 more times. But after around the 120 round mark, it worked fine.

I tried some Remington Golden Saber through it, and both magazines fed fine, with no problems. I noticed the slide on the CZ became very smooth after 40 rounds of the Golden Saber. It was pretty hot compared to the CCI 230 Gr. Ball.

I then proceeded to run 100 rounds of the CCI FMJ through the Commander. The sights were perfect. I set all of the targets for it at 25 yards as well. A 6 O'clock hold kept all of them in the black at that distance. I had one box left of the Golden Saber Remington loads which I ran through it. They functioned the gun fine, and were more accurate than the CCI Ball. They also had a lot of muzzle flash for some reason.

I finally got the 9 MM Springfield away from my wife and started shooting it. This thing is really nice! Much less noticeable recoil than any of the .45's, and the gun is almost boringly accurate. I shot it until my fingers were getting sore from loading the magazines. My wife stopped shooting twice to sweep up all of the brass around us, because we were starting to step on cases most everywhere we moved. I haven't run this much ammo through so many guns in a long time.

All of these guns worked better than I had hoped for. With 5 guns I was expecting some issues, but thankfully there were none. The Springfield 9 MM got the most ammo through it, and I would guess the Springfield Mil-Spec got the least. But even it saw at least 200 rounds+ before we packed up and called it a day.

After we got home I started cleaning everything, which took quite some time. I didn't mind it however. One by one I field stripped them, and gave them a good washing in clean Kerosene, followed by a good compressed air blow job and a relube. It went pretty quickly considering the amount of guns, along with how much ammo we shot through all of them. All in all the day really couldn't have gone much better.

I ran into a guy who was interested in the CZ-97 while we were there, and I let him put a couple of magazines downrange with it. He was pleased and said he was interested in picking one up. I'm going to order several more magazines for it from here:

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.p...d=1093&zenid=6116886d3267a4f0d4c490dc11c1a3a2

Greg's prices are good, and he ships quickly. I'll be pretty much restricted to the indoor range for the rest of the Summer until the weather breaks this fall. Now I've got 5 new additions to keep me busy. All of these guns are going to see a lot more ammo in the upcoming weeks. Funny how 1911's are like that!