4-inch or 6-inch?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by curlysue, May 23, 2007.

1. curlysue

curlysue New Member

Considering the Ruger GP-100 (for the purposes of toting around in the woods for rabid skunk protection), does the 4 inch barrel shoot as well as the 6 inch barrel to make the extra 2 inches worth it?

2. Splatter

Splatter New Member

You'll have to try them yourself, I'm afraid.
    I shoot the 4" better than the six, even though there is a theoretical advantage to the longer sight radius. Although I never tried the full-lug 6", only the full-lug 4" and the half-lug 6".

3. john1911

john1911 New Member

I'm partial to the 4" barrels myself. Makes packing it a lot easier. You will lose some velocity by going with the 4", not enough a skunk will notice :p . Accuracy should be real close if you do your part.

4. tsnyder88

tsnyder88 New Member

i would get the 6 inch barrel but i like a long barrel on a gun

5. WDB

WDB New Member

The extra 2" will reduce the recoil and noise. So unless you expect to have to fast draw the 6" barrel is a better choice IMO.

6. BCOWANWHEELS

BCOWANWHEELS New Member

6" is more accurite but harder to pull & carry plus added weight

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I've had the 4", the half lug 6" as well as the full lug 6" and liked them all. I prefer the 4" for portability and there's not that much difference in accuracy unless you're taking really, really long shots.

8. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I have the Ruger GP100 6" full lug stainless. I use a crossdraw holster in the woods. I like it a lot. Built to last.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

My extra two inches has been a big advantage for me.

10. WDB

WDB New Member

You need to stay on point to the OP 1" + 2" (post operation) is still less than the OP was asking about:)

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Let me rephrase that. I have .45s with both 4" and 6" barrels. The 6" is more accurate because of the additional barrel length. I can't speak to the .22 caliber though, but I would think the same principle would apply.

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

With everything else in the equation the same. . .

Greater sight radius = Greater accuracy

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think you would be fine either way for the use you described. I doubt you'll be taking long shots where the extra 2" will matter much and the short barrel will be easier to pack. If it were me, I'd go with a 4" because I already have a 6" 357 but it's really your choice. Handle both, shoot both if you can and see which one you like better.

14. YankeeTango

YankeeTango New Member

Oh no he didn't!!!!

15. enderwig

enderwig New Member

I just bought a gp100 3 weeks ago. I had my heart set on the 4 inch model, but walked out of the gun show with the 6in in stainless for $392, couldn't pass that up. Now every day, I am glad I got the six incher, I have no plans whatsoever to carry this gun concealed, so the length isn't an issue in that way. I will only shoot it at the range, and toss it in a backpack or open carry leather holster when hiking/camping.
    And by the way, it's one of the sweetest revolvers I have ever owned! :)

16. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

8, actually.

Oh, wait, you were asking about a gun. =P Six will make it more accurate and more powerful. If concealability and quick-draw arenot necessary for this weapon, there's not much reason not to go for the six.

17. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I bought and shoot the six inch. I cant shoot short barrel revolvers worth Sh#t. I hunt and pack the six inch with a paddle holster. The biggest problem I run into is sitting down and getting dirt in the barrel.

18. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

^ Sig worthy right there :D

Before I bought mine I fired both and the 4 was just easier to handle. I felt like it was more accurate (well when I'm using it) and if you are going to be taking this into the woods why deal with the extra weight? Just my .02

Either way, its a great gun and you wont be disappointed.