4-H 22lr class

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Ruzai, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

It seems the number of people interested in guns, especially the younger generation is growning. I've been teaching a 4-H shooting sports class for a few weeks now, whenever the weather permits that is. I teach 10-19 year olds how to shoot 22lr rifles. Currently I have 5 kids, I started with two in the middle of last month. Today one of the parents shows up and I reocgnize him as one of the local FFLs and his son is ripping the x ring out of the targets at 33 yards. Impressed with the improvement the man, Luke, asks me about competition and what kind of gun the kids might need and what the requirements are to compete. I simply said "Whatever they are most comfortable with". The dad asks his son and the other kids what they like best, with the expection of my best student (who favors a bolt gun), they all respond "The Ruger 10/22" as one of them holds it up for his dad to inspect. I'd been bringing this particular rifle because we only had 2 rifles for 5 students, one a bolt action Savage and the other my Ruger 10/22.
    I told him the students already had the right idea for the best rifle and why such as it is fairly low maintenance being the stainless steel and synthetic stock version, not to mention easy to expand and tailor to individual goals.
    He simply asked how many we needed. "Five's a good start." the 4-H shotgun instructor who was watching said. "They'll be ready for you by this next Sunday." was the simple and generous response from Luke.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

3. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

that is FAN-TASTIC! gett'm started right! GOOD DEAL!

4. whistlindixie

whistlindixie New Member

Very cool! A little side question. . . Do you find that the length of pull on the 10/22 is comfortable for some of your smaller kids?

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

MasterPsmith customized a 10/22 for his grandson. it's in the threads here somewhere.

Sorry for the hijack. :eek:

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

An oustandingly generous jesture!! Much Respect!!

7. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

No, most of them have a good purchase on the gun. I only have one who has trouble with getting a good grip on the gun, but he is fairly small for his age, thankfully he is only interested in bench-rest style shooting which he is getting better at. Hopefully with a new 10/22 and a 6x scope he'll start really driving nails.

8. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Well an update on the 4-Hers is they got a rare chance to shoot something larger than a 22lr and in 3-round burst. A fellow gun-enthusiast had a full-auto H&K MP5 on the other end of the rifle range line and you can imagine the two that showed up to class could barely concentrate while a full-auto 9mm was going off. So I walked them over to watch for a moment while the fellow practiced and not too long after we returned to the rifles he came over and offered the kids a chance to shoot it.
    Of course I filmed it as they may never get the chance to try a gun that expensive for a very long time.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO5f2mHZF7U[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats totally awesome. i like how he took the time to make sure they were comfy with the recoil before going auto.

10. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Just an update on the 4-H boys and their regional competition.
    I had one make 4th, 8th, and 14th out of 15 picks that go to state.
    The one that made 14th is a special education student with an IEP (504 plan) and has made significant improvement both safety and shooting wise.
    Unfortunately I wont be able to go with them to state but my 4th place shooter's father is a fellow teacher so they'll have someone to look to if they need help.

We're thinking of getting the boys peep sights from Tech-Sights, but we arent sure. I could actually use some feedback on peep sights vs notch and post (pistol style) sights.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a local kids shotgun group at our range. The local Friends of the NRA, which raises money for the shooting sports, was able to get them a grant this year as well as other support. Check with your local committee and get the paper work started for the next grant meeting. We cant help everybody but kids are a priority. The NRA also has programs you can utilize. The kids are our future and if we lose them to the school propaganda, we are lost.

12. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

I think it's fantastic that you are training the kids.
    I'm working on getting a small group of kids to learn to shoot also.

I do question the 10-22 as being the best rifle to start off with, I think you would be doing the kids a favor if you could get a couple of the single shot Savage rifles with the Peep sights.

This is for several reasons, first is safety, you have a single shot.
    Second is that kids should be taught to shoot with peep sights. If they can learn to shoot peps well, they will be ahead of the game should they decide to get into compitition and will be able to shoot anything else well.
    Third, with one shot, they tend to make the shot count. When you know you have 10 or more shots as fast as you can pull the trigger, they tend not to consentrate as much on making each shot count.
    Last, the Savage single shot is more accurate than a base model 10-22.
    More accuracy tends to keep the kids happier, especially when they become better shots.

Just my two cents, but a Savage or old Mossberg with Peep sights will be the best way to teach the kids what they need to progress to higher stages later in life. Peeps are shot in compitition, not cheap open sights like on a 10-22.
    With someone with an FFL, parents can buy a new Savage single shot with Peeps for $300. plus shipping, I'm betting some of the parents would pony up the money, or get the kids cutting grass or having bake sales, anything to make money to buy guns for the shooting club.

My Best, John K

13. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

We actually did do an accuracy test between a Savage bolt action with a bull barrel and my factory carbine barrel 10/22. We used 6x scopes on both guns at 50 yards with the same ammo and two different shooters using as much support as we could get our hands on to eliminate as much human error as possible. Turns out the 10/22 is just a bit more open at 50 yards by only half and inch judging from the four 5-shot groups we came up with.
    I debated for a long time between bolt action and semi-auto. But since we actually had the 10/22s before too long we had to ge the kids to slow down. I managed to do this by limiting the amount of ammo they got per session and a little competition with different incentives to slow down and make the shots count.
    These few actually have never been behind any sort of peep sight. They've been behind scopes and open iron sights so I'm not sure how they might fair with them. Hopefully we'll get to find out since getting the peep sights is about as much as getting another rifle which isnt much, but it would have to be for next year because there is no way I can get the sights on and get them used to them before this year's state competition.

My question, is since the 10/22 is what we have to run off of do you think the Tech-sights would do the job?