3in 1911s

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by jackal6, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

I'm trying to decide what my next gun should be, Something for concealed carry I was looking at revolvers first but I've got 1911 fever ^_^

2. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

That's my only concern is price it seems they are much pricier, I paid 800 for my full size 1911 and im still catching flack for it from my wife lol but I don't mind waiting while I save up :)

3. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

This was $500 out the door. 3.5" barrel and has shot anything I have run through it.

[​IMG]

4. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

The STI Spartan III can be had for a reasonable price ($650-$750).

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Colt new agent or defender is best of the breed in the micro 1911s 7 rounds in the mag and will also use full size mags.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Just my opinion, but the barrel length is not that big an issue with 1911s for concealed carry. IMHO, it's the grip that going to cause any issues first. I carry a Dan Wesson CCO. 4.5" barrel with an Officer frame. It conceals just fine. It's easy to shoot well, in fact it's actually a fun range gun. Great trigger and extremely accurate & reliable. Several makers sell CCO type pistols.
    As barrels on 1911s get shorter, it gets harder for builders to keep them reliable. It's not impossible, obviously, but it does require a bit more skill & tuning. So with that in mind, buy one from a maker with a reputation for getting them right, good customer service dept. & and with a decent warranty.
    FWIW, Dan Wesson does make the ECO as well, which is a true 3.5" 1911.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. cuate

cuate New Member

I purchased a similiar .45 some time ago, a Springfield,, Ultra Compact and I modified the trigger mechanism to my liking. It is accurate, has a sweet trigger now and a great carry concealed pistol. It is on loan to my Son, who lives near Crime City (Dallas, TX) as I live in a rural area and crime is not high or even minor crime prone. But I do have a "shooting iron" or two in case we are invaded by criminal zombies with theft and harm in mind

Boom ! Boom ! he's dead and we aren't playing Cowboys and Indians.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Always wanted one but that very true fact kept me from it :(

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Will do- RIA is really gettin out there in the 1911 stuff :D

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Lustin on a 38super myself- Been a long while since i had one-
    In fact last i had was a LNIB Colt I bought in a Longview beerjoint for $200-:)

11. jackal6

jackal6 New Member

RIA is starting to get my attention are they made in the us of a? I'm pretty sure my LGS has some too

12. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

They are Filipino guns but very well made for the money and have excellent CS. Lifetime guarantee. I have them in 9mm, .38 super and .45. No problems so far. The CS in the picture was fired yesterday for the 1st time in months. 100 rounds of Federal fmj and 50 rounds of federal hps. Went bang every time. This gun has been carried daily that whole time and thrown under the seat of my truck, bounced around and never fails to go bang. I'm very impressed with it.

13. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Like this one I got Friday. Nany, nany boo boo.
    [​IMG]

14. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Does anyone make a 3in .38 Super? Two birds one stone for me if they do.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'd go with a Commander model (4.25 in barrel).

I've got the Defender, the Commander and the FS Government and for carry, the LW Commander is the way to go!

Ruger just started to make this model and RIA has several 4.25 in models.

3 & 3.5 in 1911 mouse guns are prone to timing issues.

16. barnjoer

barnjoer Member

My Springfield Ultra Compact 3'' stainless 10+1 rounds of 45 very accurate & lots of fire power.[​IMG]

17. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Well hell, the pic of your Defender started my obsession with the little Colt, may have to reevaluate now.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just my [​IMG] worth of experience.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Defender but now that I have retired it to Bar-B-Que status I now carry the Commander and I'm happy with the change.

19. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Who am I kidding, been looking at them so long at this point it would take a Defender horror story of epic proportions to dissuade me. It will be mine!

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You won't regret it!

And the Colt take-down is so much easier than that other brand! (No need for a bobbie-pin!)