3D Guns

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CourtJester, Mar 31, 2013.

1. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I've heard a little bit about this over the past couple of months on NPR and Fox News but I thought the video was pretty cool. It shows that this clearly could be a viable source for absolutely anyone a few years down the road. Kind of crazy, but pretty interesting in a futuristic sort of way. Sharp kid to lead the charge too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DconsfGsXyA#

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. Lovegun

Lovegun New Member

I watched this a few days ago (although briefly since I was at work :p) and I'm a little confused. Is he printing just recievers or the bartel and everything?

3. chrishiggin29

chrishiggin29 Member

Basically there printing a stripped lower receiver or in the case of magazine the hull or body of the mag. You still have to supply all the internals

4. Lovegun

Lovegun New Member

I would assume as 3D printing progresses you could eventually print anything you needed for the gun. Pretty interesting though

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, you cannot print steel springs, a steel bolt or bolt carrier, or a steel barrel. And the plastic firing pin just does not do very well.

As said- they are printing the parts of an AR type rifle that are not subject to high pressures. Shoot- you could make a lower out of a block of seasoned hardwood if you were so inclined. HAVE been them made out of heavy plastics. But that is the LOWER, not the upper.

6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I would think that even at this point that the material used is just a minor delay in its developement. With advanced polymers its only a matter of time.
    I am astounded by the intelect of this 24 year old, both in mechanics and in political reality. I know at 24 and fresh out of the military my mindset was no where near that.