39-2. Slim & Sexy

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by NHForester, Jun 2, 2019.

1. NHForester

NHForester Active Member

This one has been in the safe for entirely too long. Was able to get it out today and ring some steel with it. It’s like riding a bike, as the saying goes. Takes no time at all to remind you just what great guns these were when they were introduced and still are. Snapped this pic before packing it back in its original box and going back in the safe.

[​IMG]

rock185, BVAL, Sniper03 and 6 others like this.
  2. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

Slim and sexy is a great description. Beautiful piece

JimRau and NHForester like this.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Very nice. Glad ya got out and had some fun.

NHForester and EclecticShooter like this.
  4. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Smith & Wesson blued steel is hard to beat. A classic.

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a fine looking pistol. Is that a decocker?

EclecticShooter likes this.
  6. NHForester

NHForester Active Member

Yes. It serves as both a de cocker and safety.

7. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I really don't see a need for a de cocker... But I am strange

Mister Dave likes this.
  8. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my favorites!!!:cool: I bought one as a off duty gun in the 70's, and still like that series for CC.:)

NHForester and Rifling82 like this.
  9. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Slim & sexy

Hmmmm

Girls, yes, guns, not so much...

JimRau likes this.
  10. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

I can never seem to comfortably reach slide mounted safety and-or decockers

I need frame mounted

NHForester likes this.
  11. Lennypeters

Lennypeters Member

Very nice. I have had an eye out for a hammer fired metal framed single stack 9mm for a while and so far no luck.

NHForester likes this.
  12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

On a DA gun, I can’t see a need for a safety, but I’m strange.

I Like a decocker though, no “whoops” when lowering the hammer on a live round.

IowaShooter and EclecticShooter like this.
  13. Rifling82

Drop the magazine and rack the slide

14. Rifling82

Why lower the hammer? Just put the safety on

15. SSGN_Doc

Because it’s a DA. The longer trigger pull is your safety. Just like the revolvers.

It’s a choice of safeties and carry modes.

I prefer to carry a DA at the appendix position, with the hammer down and chamber loaded. Draw, point, squeeze. Decock, before holstering. The long pull and hammer alert me upon holstering if something is interfering with the trigger.

Just my preferences.

A Beretta 92 FS was my first auto loader that I purchased after I turned 21. Then 24 years in the Navy kept me very familiar with the 92 in M9 form. My only complaint was the safety. I don’t mind it at all as a decocker, but accidentally activating the safety when operating the slide, could leave one with a dead trigger. With a decocker only, worst case is I made the trigger pull a bit longer.

Seen safeties left on, accidentally deactivated, activated or fail to be activated before holstering under low to moderate stress drills.

Some safeties go up, some go down. The majority of decockers require downward motion, whether slide or frame mounted.

My Sigs, Berettas, and CZs, and even my striker fired TP9V2, have downward activated decockers, whether they are slide or frame mounted.

Again, this is my preference. Many folks like single action, and striker fired pistols. Many folks don’t like to face the training curve of DA to SA trigger transition. I understand it and am cool with it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  16. SSGN_Doc

Works for emptying the gun, but not for loaded chamber carry, utilizing the double action trigger pull.

17. Rifling82

Yeah it's personal preference..... I have a CZ 75 Compact, it's offered with a de cocker but I couldn't come up with any logical scenario where I would need it, if I did carry it, it would be one in the chamber with the safety on just like a 1911

18. SSGN_Doc

By the way NH, nice 39-2. My sister had one as her first carry pistol. Sweet shooter.

19. SSGN_Doc

Yep. It’s why CZ offers both options. They can cater to both preferences. Some organizations, (LE or military), will prohibit, cocked and locked, or may mandate DA mode for the first shot.

I have come to prefer the added safety the long trigger pull offers before lighting off the first round. And I like not needing to manipulate any lever or switch before firing.

I’ve tried carrying most other systems. 1911s, and Glocks, DA revolvers and DA only handguns. The DA/SA auto just does it for me. My most carried pistols now are the CZ P07 and the Beretta Px4 compact with the decocker only levers installed.

20. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

DA/SA is my preferred system too unless shooting the most compact of handguns, then I prefer striker fired. H&K P2000 is my favorite.

jigs-n-fixture likes this.