380add?.what one

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mrbirdguy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

Am intrested in adding a 380 auto compact to my gun collection
    What one would you recommend it has to be a USA made model I want a good reliable one but don't want a expensive one

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

If your on a budget,I've heard good things about bersa thunder .380's. Can be had for $300 in most shops,and even less online. Bersa sells guns worldwide and doesn't have a big marketing department,at least here in the U.S.,which allows them to sell quality guns for prices often less than the competition.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not impressed by the US made 380's bersa thunder 380 is my 380 of choice. bersa fixed the problems with the walther ppk.

if you MUST get a US made one the only one i can think of is the ruger lcp. but its too small for my tastes. i find them incredibly unpleasent to shoot and not the most accurate in rapid fire which is a must for a 380. your life depends on quick accurate follow ups especially with a 380.

in my opinion anything smaller than a bersa thunder/walther ppk in size is just too small to get it done for fast accurate follow ups.

4. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

I have a S&W bodyguard .380 and really enjoy it. I had a ruger LCP and l like my bodyguard a lot more. The sig P238 is a really nice gun. It would actually be my first choice but was out of my budget, I am happy with my decision though.

5. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

I have a 9 mm sigma as my home gun can't carry in my state

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I'm hoping to find the new Colt Mustang just out. I'll give it while & if not, it'll be the Sig P238 which was their answer to the original Colt Mustang.

I like my Bersa .380 CC & my wife's Bersa Thunder .380, but they are not made in the U.S.

7. cbibb

cbibb New Member

Kahr has a 380 like a glock but much smaller and there is diamond back all made in us all good guns and reasonable and reliable all striker fired like glock,xd,and ruger sr series good luck

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have the S&W BG 380 and like it very much.

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I have Ruger LCP w CS laser. Very reliable and accurate gun despite speed bump like sights. (why I got the laser) I bought it for CC & bedside home defense. at 9.4 oz unloaded, it is a handful to shoot. I swap clips outs every 30 days but have kept it loaded for 6 months just for the hell of it and it fired faithfully every single round. Ammo was Critical Defense 90 gr. load.

Full Disclosure:
    The Sig has much better sights and SA triggers will always outshine DAO but do you want to carry a mouse gun locked & cocked ? If that is not an issue for you, then the company reps ( TV show Guns & Gear) advised going w all steel model if you want to fire it a lot. Evidently, they can not keep up w demand and Colt, as usual, was late for the party.

10. ScottA

I agree. I'd jump at the Sig if I wanted to carry in a holster on my belt. But I pocket carry, and do not want to carry condition 1 in my pocket.

11. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

I bough a S&W Walther PPK/s .380 Great shooting handgun.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Birdguy.

I have a Kahr P-380. Some have advised of some problems like most other small compacts have reported. But I cleaned it the minute I got it like I was advised to by members of the Forum. They advised they are dirty when you get them because evidently the factory test fires them and boxes them? It was as they said. I cleaned and lubed it at the start and have never had a malfunction with it. The trigger is fantastic on it. Here is a photo of it although I presently have the magazine extensions on the mags since I can not stand for my pinky finger to hang over on any grip! I did find out when using Federal Hydra-Shok ammuntion I must push the slide release and the round is loaded every time. If I pull the slide back by hand and let the slide move forward it does not want to load the first round. But as stated it has never malfuntioned to date.
    It is made in the USA. If I did not have this pistol in 380 it would be a SIG.

Attached Files:

13. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I've had my Colt Mustang for years. It's a great gun. Nice single action triggers are hard to beat. However, being an all metal gun, I found it a bit too heavy for pocket carry in the heat of summer. (as little clothing as possible) Times other than extreme heat, I carry something other than a mouse gun.

When Ruger introduced the LCP, I bought one. It is much nicer for pocket carry. It's not a range gun. It is VERY snappy, due to the small size/weight. It is accurate and extremely reliable with all ammo. For pocket carry, I really like it. I put the CT on mine. The sights are had to find.

Ruger offers a lifetime warranty.

14. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

Well now I don't know which one to get

15. Powersportgiant

I just got back from the range with my S&W bodyguard .380. 3" group at 15 yards is damn good for me with ANY gun. I am so happy with this weapon I cannot even express it through words. Keep in mind, I used to have an LCP...

16. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

I think I am intrested in the 380 bodyguard s&w any more info on it is it a decient laser

17. ScottA

The laser makes a great training aid, but the button is not designed well for turning it on in a high pressure situation. And it gets dirty pretty quick when shooting a lot.

18. Powersportgiant

The laser is a novelty part of this gun to me, I like the sights on this gun a lot and the laser is accurate when I use it to shoot however, in a necessary situation my last thought would be to turn the laser on. I picked mine up NIB for $330 OTD. Not a bad price on this gun considering it has the laser.

19. ScottA

Another plus for the BG 380 is it has replaceable sights. I swapped out the sights on mine for a set of XS Big Dot sights. It has far better sights now than anything you can find stock out there. There are not many 380's you can swap sights on. I think the Sig maybe also.

20. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

While the CS laser makes the speed bump sights irrelevant, I wish my LCP had XS Big Dot sights.