.380?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by niteglock, May 18, 2013.

1. niteglock

niteglock New Member

What's up with the .380 round? Never really hear too much about it and I was thinking about adding one to my collection. Would you guys carry a .380 or would you feel underpowered?

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I pocket carry a micro .380 in a Blackhawk #3 pocket holster and I feel secure with it as my EDC.

3. GaryE

GaryE New Member

I carried 380's for a few years and can say from all the articles I see telling me that the 380 is too small that is total nonsense. I looked up some real life statistics on various calibers that killed within one to two shots and found that the 380 had the highest rate compared to other calibers. As a retired sheriff once told me "a 380 will gravely kill you".

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I carry a 380 when it is difficult to wear a holster. If a 22 LR kills more people than any other gun on the planet a 380 will do the job. I have a Kel Tec P-3AT that I carry in a pocket holster.

5. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

My wife carries a bersa thunder 380. I wouldn't want to get shot by it and its just as accurate as my beretta 92fs 9mm at close range.

6. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Would you guys trade a glock 26 9mm for a nice .380 and what would you guys consider a NICE .380?

7. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Yes I would!

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rtLSQzfA6eQ[/ame]

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Not under powered, nor as powered as I could be.

With most makers producing 9mm versions barely bigger than their 380s it seems pointless to even bother in most cases. But sometimes that tiny bit of size diff is a world of change, depending on your circumstance. It's also a much pricier round.

I mean I've thought about getting a 380 since getting into guns. Almost did several times, but in the end, nothing really seemed to make enough sense.

I hope one day I just get one, just to do it, and force myself to. I think I'll find I like the tiny size diff a bunch. On paper, though, is negligent.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have carried a Colt Mustang Plus II .380 for 10 years. I have never been assaulted so they must be adequate.:D

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Personally, no. But I'm not a .380 type person. I know everyone talks about shot placement, and its better than a stick, and this, that, and the other. I love small guns, so there is some appeal to a .380 in that regard, but as someone else already said, you can find a 9mm in almost the same size as a lot of .380s.

Also, from what I understand, .380s can be so light that the recoil can be pretty brutal for such a small caliber. I've heard that 9mm is usually more manageable.

I fall into thew crowd that doesn't think .380 is quite enough umph. I'm probably wrong, but its just my opinion. I mean, the reason 9mm is a decent round is because it has high penetration due to its velocity and energy. It's a compromise with a smaller size bullet, but it ends up being ok because of its penetration. You can't really say that about most .380s. They tend to be a slightly smaller bullet than most 9mms, with less penetration.

I don't see the point. Unless you really can't carry anything slightly larger in 9mm (Diamondback DB9 comes to mind).

Just my .02

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Without knowing the model of the 9mm short, I can't tell you if I would consider trading a glock for it just based solely on the financial aspect.
    Would I carry a 9mm short?
    Yes, but it is not my first choice and only for ease of concealment.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The gun I carry most often is a 9mm. The gun I carry 2nd to that (and what I carried solely for 2 years) is a 380. I carry the 9 because I can, but I don't feel unprotected with the 380 in my pocket.

14. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Or years my .380 was my main carry gun. Until recently when I got my Beretta Nano that is.

15. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Dont do it dude, .380's are last ditch guns. As for the .22 killing more people, thats only because its the most prevalent caliber around. Gangsters use it all the time. I personally would never carry a .22 or a .380.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Up until a few years ago, half the cops in Europe carried a .380 as a duty weapon.

It is an excellent CCW weapon.

Walther and SIG both make top of the line .380 guns.

17. GaryE

GaryE New Member

From what I see there is way too much illogical thinking concerning the use of your smaller calibers. I hear so much about the 380 not being up to standards for self defense. It goes along with the stupidity that is becoming a standard in our nation today. The 380 will kill you PERIOD. There are too many drinking the "Kool Aid" today just as they do with the media. Take time to look up the facts and not opinions. You'll be very surprised at what you learn.

18. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I carry a Ruger LCP .380 for comfort. But what it is, in my opinion, is nothing short of being what I call a 'lil' canon.' Proper placement shot is in order.

Attached Files:

19. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

I have an LCP and carry it when carrying a larger pistol isn't feasible. (Jogging, doing yardwork, etc) That being said, I prefer a larger gun. Yes, I know it's all about shot placement, yada yada yada. There's just not a comfortably sized .380 that I'd want to have in a gunfight. Every .380 I've held or shot has been too small in terms of capacity and/or they always seem to have inadequate sights.

The point of the .380, IMO, is to have an easily concealable, lightweight holdout piece; a "get off me" gun or a last ditch resort. I carry one as a BUG in a pocket in addition to my 229, just in case.

One of my coworkers has a nice sized Beretta .380 (I think it's a Cougar), but it's no smaller than a .9mm these days.

Aside from the size issue, there's really nothing wrong with the .380 round. It's basically a chopped down 9mm anyway.

20. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

if we were in the 1970s, you might be right about .380 ammo being underpowered. However, modern ammo technology has brought performance levels of the .380 to where the it is at or very close to the standard 9mm.

While some say the smaller lighter .380 has a lot of recoil, so do the smaller, lighter 9mm pistols and maybe even more so.