.380 suggestions

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mike1980, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Mike1980

Mike1980 New Member

I'm looking at .380's for my fiancé. Primary use will be for protection and range time. not looking to break the bank. I'm looking at the S&W and Ruger. Thanks for feedback and suggestions.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have the S&W Bodyguard 380. It is my daily carry piece.

What I like about it:
    Last shot hold open.
    Integrated laser (good for dry fire training)
    Interchangeable sights (XS sights make a huge difference)
    Long DA trigger makes use of safety unnecessary.

What I don't like:
    Poor placement of laser activation switch makes it less useful in a high stress situation.

3. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

I also have a SW bodyguard 380 and sold my LCP to get it. Much better feel and shoots MUCH better than the LCP. Comments above are spot on however, the laser is pointless to me in a necessary situation. My last concern would be the laser if I had to draw. However, the laser is cool for target practice at indoor facilities, outdoor cannot be seen too well.

4. Mike1980

Mike1980 New Member

thanks. I'm leaning towards the S&W

5. Woody882

Woody882 New Member

I have both Kel-Tec and Ruger LCP .380

6. Woody882

Woody882 New Member

I have both Kel-Tec and Ruger LCP .380. Either are good for conceal carry. I would not recommend a .380 for home protection. There is not enough stopping power in a .380 round. In addition I do not recommend a semiautomatic unless the shooter goes through routine handgun handling skills training, which include malfunction drills. I recommend at least a .38 revolver round. Revolver will not malfunction, .38 revolver small enough for small frame shooter but more stopping power than a .380

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I have in addition to other firearms a constant companion
    in the guise of a Ruger LCP .380, which I find to be quite
    accurate, lightweight, compact, and lethal for upfront
    confrontations.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

really small guns are very unpleasent to shoot. if she is a new shooter let her pick one that feels comfy to her. the worst thing you can do is pick a gun you like for her. take her to a range let her rent a few guns and try them out. she may surprise you and go for a much bigger gun.

9. vito77

vito77 New Member

go with the ruger it the best for the money. the lcp..

10. vito77

vito77 New Member

you mite chesk out the lcr also really nice a almost bought one when i got my lc9.

11. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I have them both and have no ax to grind. That being said I carry the Smith.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Good point on range shooting the 380. I'd much rather spend range time with a larger 9mm, 40, or 45. My 380 can get very tiring after several magazines. They are designed to be concealed, and that comes at a cost.

13. joken

joken New Member

This one isn't plastic and it won't fit in the palm of your hand, but it's more accurate, safer and easy to carry. I'm talking about a Sig 232. I carry one a lot and it is scarry accurate. It's DA/SA with a decocker and if you try one you will like it. Ken

14. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

If you are looking for a 380 for your fiance then let her hold and try out the Walther PK 380. I got one for my wife she loves it, she dont have a strong grip, and the walther is very manageable for her.

Attached Files:

15. Mike1980

Mike1980 New Member

thanks. did you add the laser or does it come stock with the Walther?

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The LCP and the P3AT are not pleasant to shoot. The S&W might be better but I have not shot one. I have a Sig P238 and it a pleasure to shoot. 380 ammo is a lot more expensive than 9mm. There are a lot of times when I can not conceal anything bigger than the 380 or I would not have one. The next smallest pistol I have is the Ruger SR9c. I tried the PF 9 but did not like it. In the compact 9mm pistols I would look at the Kahr line or possibly the LC9 by Ruger.
    Dont pass up looking at the 38 snub nosed revolvers. I have been looking at the S&W 442 and 642 at about $450. They would be a lot lighter than my SP101.

17. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I know you are considering a 380, but..
    I let my sister (whom has never fired a hand gun) try out my CZ82. And she really liked it. She also shot it very well.

18. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

how about the Bersa? My wife fondled one and dropped several xmas hints :)

19. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I think one of the biggest concerns is if she has ever shot before. If she hasnt shot the ruger lcp is a really bad gun to start on may wanna take her out with a 22 a few to get the basics then move her to other guns to see what she is.comfortable with

20. Mike1980

Mike1980 New Member

she is very comfortable with the 22 and has shot before. I have a glock 31, 357 sig that is to much for her but she can handle. I have a few buddies who got their wives the S&W 380 and seem to like it. The Walther 380 is another option I've heard good things about. she does not have a preference between the two as they are both very comfortable to shoot.