380 Self Defense Book Test

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by javelin225HO, Aug 21, 2013.

1. javelin225HO

javelin225HO New Member

I tested 3 bullets from a taurus 738. Hornady CD, Federal personal defense low recoil, and Speer gold dot. All 90 grains.
    I shot from 15 feet into a 1200 page hardback book. Speer bullet got to page 1099, Federal to page 813, and Hornady to page 791.
    Hornady seperated and fragmented. Federal held its weight and mushroomed and so did the Speer. So who do you think was the best looking at the picture?
    I was suprised at the way Hornady seperated and lost its weight. Federal had a good shape and the Speer penetrated well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Javelin,

Was the Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection or Duty ammunition. To compare apples and apples. But if the Speer Gold Dot was personal protection it seemingly out performed the others as far as maintaining weight and penetration. But it is very obvious that all three rounds would have accomplished the goal of neutralizing an aggressor. Fragmentation is not always a bad thing since it represents the energy that was dispersed into the tissue of an aggressor. And keeping in mind these rounds are designed for a special purpose to minimize over penetration as well as reduce recoil. And being personal protection rounds they are normally used in smaller lighter conceal carry pistols. I recently shot some full blown 220 gr. 45 ACPs through my new Springfield XDs and let me tell you it was everything but pleasant! ;)They are designed for a specific purpose and not actual duty service type ammunition. Thank you for the good photos and very impressed with the telephone book test. Books like phone books are hard tests on ammunition. Glass is even worse.
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

3. javelin225HO

javelin225HO New Member

Sniper,
    The Gold Speer were personal protection rounds. The Hornady did lose the most weight but fragmented which would have caused tissue damage. I will acquire some more books to test with denim used as a layer. I will also try this with a 9mm round. I just bought some 9mm Gold Speers to try.
    I had Hornady loaded in the mag, but now have switched to the Speers. The recoil were lowest on the Hornady and the Federal and Speers were alittle more.
    Speers did the best imo, then the Federals followed by the Hornady. It might me a different result in the 9mm test, we'll see.

4. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Personally although Hornady might have had the least amount of penetration, I still prefer it in my .380's, and am willing to bet my life that it will stop an attacher. After all I don't want to over penetrate any way, the last thing I want is for it to exit the person.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Over penetration on a human attacker is not a problem that the .380 is noted for, especially using expanding ammo. Not getting deep enough penetration is something that is often listed as a problem for .380 hollow points.

6. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I hope to stay with this thread and get some insight (from posters with true knowledge of the .380, not just uninformed opinion) into the subject. I bought a S&W Bodyguard 380 a couple of months ago, carry it a lot in a pocket because of the warm weather in S. Carolina. It'd be good to know what to expect if I have to use it, and what part(s) of the body to hit in order to get the best result.

7. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I could be wrong, however I have yet to here of anyone not having deep enough penetration with a .380 regardless of type of ammo. I'm willing to bet my life on it, even a .25 auto with hollow point will have deep enough penetration to do it's job.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I seriously doubt you can find a factory made .25 cal hollow point that will function in a semi auto pistol.

In comparison a 22 wmr 40 gr CCI maxi mag fired from a rifle with a 22" barrel has 320 ft lb of energy at the muzzle.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  10. Axxe55

i beg to differ. my brother, recently bought a new Taurus semi-auto 25PLY and we shot about 100 rounds between us with not one problem occuring.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Axxe, I think that's the third time today I've seen you post ballistics numbers from Hornady's website.

I'm starting to wonder if you're affiliated with Hornady... If so, any chance you could hook me up with some .357 Magnum ammo??

:p

12. Axxe55

two reasons. i use a lot of Hornady bullets for reloading and use quite a bit of their factory ammo for those i don't reload for. Hornady is good ammo and has great bullets for reloading.

the other reason is that Hornady is a bit hotter on their ammo than the other ammo makers.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Makes sense. I just thought it was funny that you're always posting that stuff.

14. Axxe55

saves a lot of argueing! lets people draw their own conclusions that way. it's not written in stone, but gives a good general idea as to performance of different cartridges.

15. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I own two .25 ACP semi auto's.......my Colt N 1908 which was made in 1920, and my Taurus PT-25....both have and do shoot Hornady XTP hollow points just fine and is what I keep loaded in both of them except at range time....however I have made sure that it cycles through both just fine, which it does.

16. Axxe55

just remember that a 25 is an up close and very personal pistol! very, very up close!:p

based on the ballistics, i would prefer a small revolver in 22 mag. over the 25 auto. higher velocity and more energy. if i were carrying that small of a pistol to begin with.

17. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Neither of my .25's are my preferred choice for self-defense, however I still wouldn't hesitate to use it to defend myself. For home defense my choice is my Glock 22, following by my 1911.......if I can get it loaded in time, my Mossberg 500.....for CCW my daily carry is my S&W 30-1 .32 long......and at times my Ruger LCP, which is a .380

18. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

.25's may not be very powerul, and there's a lot better choices for defense, I do believe it can be just as deadly, I sure wouldn't want to get shot by it.

19. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

javelin225HO,

I personally don't think you should judge the bullets based on this test. It's nothing against the bullets, but if you used the same book, the density of the medium changed after the first shot.

20. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Using the FBI and International Wound Ballistics Association standards for penetration, ideal penetration depth should be between 12.5 and 14 inches in bare ordinance gelatin. Few .380 rounds make this standard. Almost no .25 rounds meet this standard.

The reason for that degree of depth is to ensure penetration to vital organs and blood vessels in a dynamic shooting situation where clothing, bone, and bullet entrance angles may not be head on. Other anatomical structures such as a hand, arm or other bones may be encountered before a bullet finds the torso. That can also mean multiple layers of clothing on entry, exit and reentry .

I'm not saying the calibers can't be effective for defense, just that on the issue if penetration, .380 hollow points are not commonly considered to have an over penetration problem.